The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

ban cell fone use while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joesblackhhr
Some very good points brought up here on both sides. I still puzzle at why a person in a car or food joint or mall is on a phone chatting about basically nothing for 30 minutes or so !!! You can hear the conversations they are so loud so you know it isnt "important" but then what defines inportant... Is it because we have the technology and it is our freedom to do so ? You know before cell fones we were at home chatting about nothing in particular.. is it because people (women who are the 90 percent) are more mobile now?
I can't figure it out. I have a cell but I barely use it. If I have to use it while driving I pull in to a parking lot. If someone calls while I'm driving I ignore it until I'm parked. It's not like there isn't caller ID so I can always call the person back. I'm amazed when you see someone driving down the road talking on their cell, looking at their GPS, and watching TV all while eating, drinking, or smoking. Some times too much technology can be a bad thing.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:59 AM

I have a cell phone for emergency purposes. Only my family has the number. If I get a call, I will pull over and answer. Since only a few important people have my number, I know any call is rare and probably important.

The reality is that nobody's life or health depends on my availability to answer my cell phone routinely while driving. I am not a doctor or nurse or EMT. I don't want to be bothered with idle talk while I'm driving. I enjoy the quiet time away from everything else to play the radio or just listen to the engine as it nears redline .

I believe it's just a "since I can(technologically) I will ". And the "unlimited free calling" plans make you feel as though you aren't getting your money's worth if you aren't constantly on the phone.

As a responsible driver, you need to constantly check your driving habits to see if you are putting others (and yourself) at unnecessary risk. This is an ongoing process, you never get to the point where you are a perfect driver and can stop improving. Unfortunately today's society goes away from personal responsibility and more towards a "to heck with you I'll do what I want" attitude.

Steve
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by EasyRay
The point I was trying to make was that the law didn't keep you from being a victim. And it was not intentional. If you are dead or seriously injured the weapon is of no use at all. If you are able to use the weapon, that would be intentional and against the law. I would therefore become a victim. Did the law prevent me from becoming a victim?
So there's a law now?

I know your point. And I hope you see mine. You gave a bad example of a law and I captalized with an equally bad one.

But as for one last straw....

Did the law prevent me from becoming a victim?
No, it was your ignorance of the law that caused your death. (you ran the light and since you were on the phone, you only thought you killed me)
Old 11-15-2006, 10:10 AM

Its also against the law to rape,rob,vandalize,murder,etc.etc. so I guess we solved that problem. Its also against the law to have a gun in DC and other large city's so I guess there are no more murders by guns in those places. I could make a laundry list and go on forever. I know the things I mentioned are extreme examples, but there is something called personal responsibility.

As far as I'm concerned we don't live in a perfect world and I don't think that more laws that take our freedom away are the solution. Where does this stuff end? Pretty soon will it get to the point that you can't talk to the the person sitting next to you because its a distraction. Or I think we shouldn't be allowed to drive because its to dangerous. Multiple thousands of people are killed every year in auto accidents.

Every time I hear * I think they should pass a law * I think a little more freedom will be lost if they do.

Thats my Take on these things. * I think they should pass a law *
We didn't solve the problem, but it is a deterrent...perhaps not the best, but it does help. If you were allowed to rape, rob vandalize and murder, how much more would be going on? I agree, it most definately boils down to personal responsibility...but what do you do when good judgement is not being exercsed? It doesn't necessarily mean law (which could also get outta hand), but it does mean that someone needs to regulate when we cant regulate ourselves...

my take is that the mere fact that there is a need for action is sad. Why are we losing freedom? Because of idiots that abuse it and make it suck for everybody else. Human nature requires some boundary. If people could control themselves in the first place we wouldn't have the government trying to take control for us

im talking in circles, but what which is worse: the inactment of a law or the action that requires it? Im torn myself...
Old 11-15-2006, 10:16 AM

Another point:

Cell phones in general are just rediculous. Like CH, I routinely see people break their necks to answer these things as if caller id and voicemail do not exist. How many time have you been somewhere and somebody's phone rings...that's not so bad, but the killing part is the answer! Just to say..."I cant talk right now." THere is entire segment dedicated to turning phones off at the beginning of every movie now. Everybody has to post a sign...the gym, the library...its bananas!

Ive seen it in meetings, driving, church...you name it. Mobile phones just expanded everbody's boundary, where phone use WAS limited to being somewhat static. Now its getting outta hand.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
So there's a law now?

I know your point. And I hope you see mine. You gave a bad example of a law and I captalized with an equally bad one.

But as for one last straw....

No, it was your ignorance of the law that caused your death. (you ran the light and since you were on the phone, you only thought you killed me)
I was only doing fifty and I swear it was still yellow. And your a lousy shot.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM

What I hate is when you're driving along and come upon a bunch of traffic. Soon you see all the other cars passing one. Then you're finally able to pass it also. There you see someone going far slower than the normal flow of traffic usually in the left lane talking on a cell phone. Maybe they're the cause of most "road rage!" Who knows how many accidents they've caused!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:42 PM

Common sense, is uncommon...
Old 11-16-2006, 01:54 AM

I can't see the need for a Cellphone. What did we do before Cellphones? We waited until we were home or work before we got on the phone. I realize this is the connected world, but it is getting ridiculas. I see wrecks caused by cellphone use, and why were they on the phone? Because they could! They should have been doing what they were supposed to be in the first place, paying attention to the ever changing road conditions, instead. Also, cellphone use while in public is both rude and ridiculas too, People walking around in stores being rude talking on the phone while in line at stores, banks, theaters, drive thrus, come on, if it was that important, maybe they should have stayed home in the first place (I don't want to hear one sided fights) They have their uses in the right circumstances like in an emergency, but just to use because they can?
Everyone I have to dodge here lately on the road has been on the phone, trying to dial or look at the phone, and even talking, not looking at the road.
My partner has one and while I am driving to work, her phone drops calls at least 4 time before we get to work. I hold my breath when she drives, trying to reconnect(hers is hands free). We are used to multi-tasking on the job, driving, talking on the radio, but a cellphone is a little more than a microphone to talk into. CB's didn't cause the problems cellphones do. I've seen several incidents where the CD player caused enough distraction to cause an accident. What does the cellphone do? I feel this is one instance where oldschool is really in need of a come back, WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HOME, OR WHERE YOU ARE GOING BEFORE YOU TALK ON THE PHONE. LIKE WE USED TO IN THE 80'S AND 90'S. WE SURVIVED REAL WELL BACK THEN. (Priorities and Organization) a really good idea.
No I don't have one, getting along fine without it, thank you, and enjoying life, and getting everything done that needs to before I go out.
Yes I use one at work, they provide it and it is used as a tool for my job, talking to the hospital and doctor, but I'm not driving while doing this, I'm in the back taking care of the patient.
If you're gonna drive, Drive
If you're gonna drink, Drink
If you're gonna talk on the phone, Talk
Don't mix them, it's a dangerous mixture.
There have been studies, and cellphone users are worse than drunks on the road, and that's real scary, way more phones then drunks on the road of the morning and evening rush hours.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Just got back from Hawaii....

While there, we patronized a lot of different resturants. One in particular, had a very large sign at the reservation area. It said something like....

Notice..to our guests and patrons.

Recognizing that cell phones are now a way of life,
while in our establishment we require ALL cell phones to be turned off.

If you receive a call or use a cell phone you will be charged $25,
which will be donated to a charity of choice.

Oh, I forgot to say...the hostest before, seating you, points the sign out.

Our waiter, who was great, said they have very little problem and have had only about 1 or 2 "donations".

Yeah......great initiative..

Quick Reply: ban cell fone use while driving?