The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Bcs Bs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 PM

Bcs Bs

I would love for someone to explain how kansas ( who we beat) and Illinois( who we also beat) are going to a BCS bowl, and we are not. We are being punished for losing in the Big 12 Championship game, letting the team we beat to move ahead of us, not in the rankings, but in a better bowl. I don't get it. kansas did not win the big 12 North, we did, yet they go to the Orange bowl, and we get the Cotton? Don't get me wrong, the Cotton is a great bowl, and it's a great bowl for Mizzou since so many of our recruits come from Texas, but it makes no since when you look at the numbers. kansas played 0 games against BCS teams. Mizzou played 4 games against BCS teams, only loosing to Oklahoma. In fact kansas played 0 teams in the top 40. Our schedule included games against Oklahoma twice, Texas Tech, Illinois and a tough road game at Ole Miss. Does strength of schedule mean anything? The BCS screwed Mizzou. Sorry for the rant.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:56 PM

im right there with you. Kansas has no right to goto a better bowl than MO. The BCS is crazy this year and showed how messed up it is. The only reason of MO not going anywhere is because the voters like SEC teams. OU should have been ahead of LSU just because they have blown it twice being in the number 1 spot. It comes down to money and popularity. And the media loves SEC teams
Old 12-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I would love for someone to explain how kansas ( who we beat) and Illinois( who we also beat) are going to a BCS bowl, and we are not. We are being punished for losing in the Big 12 Championship game, letting the team we beat to move ahead of us, not in the rankings, but in a better bowl. I don't get it. kansas did not win the big 12 North, we did, yet they go to the Orange bowl, and we get the Cotton? Don't get me wrong, the Cotton is a great bowl, and it's a great bowl for Mizzou since so many of our recruits come from Texas, but it makes no since when you look at the numbers. kansas played 0 games against BCS teams. Mizzou played 4 games against BCS teams, only loosing to Oklahoma. In fact kansas played 0 teams in the top 40. Our schedule included games against Oklahoma twice, Texas Tech, Illinois and a tough road game at Ole Miss. Does strength of schedule mean anything? The BCS screwed Mizzou. Sorry for the rant.
I just heard this on our local sports program about the Fiesta Bowl, Rose Bowl. I can only assume it applies to most, if not all other contenders, for bowl games.

It seems the "powers" within the respective BOWL committees base the final decision on financial gains. .........WHAT TEAM WILL BRING THE MOST MONEY INTO THE BOWL AREA/CITY/STATE.....hotels, rental cars, resturants, side attractions such as golf. How long the visitor will stay, is also a consideration (having 20,000 people staying one extra day is probably at least another million dollars). I understand from the discussion, complete demographics for each possible contender, were developed a couple of weeks prior to the selection, by special committees focused just to that decision.

Sucks...doesn't it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by SpAuLdIzZLe
im right there with you. Kansas has no right to goto a better bowl than MO. The BCS is crazy this year and showed how messed up it is. The only reason of MO not going anywhere is because the voters like SEC teams. OU should have been ahead of LSU just because they have blown it twice being in the number 1 spot. It comes down to money and popularity. And the media loves SEC teams
Congrats on your win. You guys won the game on the defensive line IMO. You line was too much for us to handle, and that kept Daniels off his game all night. Great game plan and executed flawlessly. Good luck against WVU, I'll be rooting for you guys, and I think you will win easily. Also, I think OU should have had a shot at a National Championship in place of LSU, but we all know how the BCS "works". On the other hand, i hope kansas gets beat 73-0.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:46 AM

Well, I live in KY. We beat LSU and they are in the national championship game. Go figure that one. BUT, the biggest shaft goes to Hawaii. Their schedule may not have been as tough, but they are undefeated. Even if they got blown out, should they not be playing for the national championship? I think I know why. OS and LSU money follows their teams. Hawaii may not have as many fans come to the lower 48 and therefore not as much money. It's a shame that money talks that much. But, money talks and BS walks. Even in college sports.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:53 AM

They need a playoff system, 16 teams should do it and even with that there will always be unhappy campers!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:36 AM

Oh man--this sounds like 2004 when my California Golden Bears were kept (cheated?) out of its first Rose Bowl appearance since 1959. We only lost one game that year and with one of the Texas teams whinning, they got the nod and we have only been close one more time since ! (2006).

The BCS is a crock and should be based on strength of schedule and perhaps points or something--not money or popularity or some kind of weird computer program.

Although I did see my Bears are going to the Armed Forces Bowl in San Antonio to play Air Force. 5th Bowl berth in a row!

(I'm still sore about 2004!)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM

It pains me to say this, but I agree with you mizzou. While I do think Kansas deserved a bowl game, I don't think they should have gotten in over Missouri. Missouri did get shafted and I feel bad for those kids that played their arses off to get where they did. I know Kansas had a very weak schedule, but it also isn't their fault when it came to the Big 12 schedule. That was set for them and they had no say whatsoever, as is the same with all Big 12 teams.
I think the BCS is a crock and never have agreed with some of the decisions they've made as far as placing teams in certain bowl games. Kansas will get beat, but 73-0 is a bit far fetched. Either way, I just wanted to put in my two cents that Missouri DID get shafted....badly!!!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM

How much money the fans will spend should never enter into the equation on who goes to what bowl. What are they saying, that Mizzou fans are cheap?

Yes, Mizzou got screwed. But, it seems like someone does every year. If we don't get a playoff soon, no fans will be going to those bowl games.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 PM

They need to do it like other sports, the top teams play each other and get the DAM coaches picks, and team pick out of there.