The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

The Big 2? GM/Chrysler Merger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 AM

I wonder if the performance division and the SRT would remain seperate ?
Old 10-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Future mod: A hemi for my HHR!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by a76marine
Style?

Take a look at the Dodge Ram which spawned a whole new revolution in pickup truck styling in the 90's.

Or the Dodge Viper that quickly became a Corvette competitor overnight.

Or the 300/Magnum/Charger movement that made the Camero concept possible.

And dare I mention the PT Cruiser idea and engineers that we wouldn't be here without?

Good Point, Only thing that came to my mind was Jeep.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Dodge and Jeep, plus very lucrative supplier, labor, and distribution contracts around the world. DaimlerChrysler engineered and invented a lot of stuff that Chrysler LLC still has the rights to use, and GM would LOVE to get its hot hands on some of that stuff. I can see new CRD diesel-powered small cars and light trucks coming out of this deal. Sprinter replacing the Express/Savana, Cummins turbo diesels replacing the troublesome Isuzu Duramax.

Not to mention the fact that it gets Cerberus and GM back to their core competencies. Cerberus gets to own all of GMAC, GM divests itself of an albatross, gets two very lucrative brands and billions of dollars worth of free Chrysler loot.
Another Good Point.. Cummins Turbo in a GMC Sierra, With Dodge's New Side Box Storage.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:41 PM

GM and Chrysler Holding Hands........How Nice.

Haven't they both got enough trouble without this issue to digest as well ???

Maybe they could get Lee Iacoca to come back to cinch the deal.

I think by the time this is all over they will need each other to replace all the Dealers that will be gone Bye Bye.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:03 AM

Maybe GM should Buy Mazda when ford Sells there share? Just a Idea Mazda seem's to make decent Car's and profit from them. Leave everything the way it is, mainly leave the car's assembly plants alone that way UAW keeps there Greedy hands off of them.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Silverfox
GM and Chrysler Holding Hands........How Nice.

Haven't they both got enough trouble without this issue to digest as well ???

Maybe they could get Lee Iacoca to come back to cinch the deal.

I think by the time this is all over they will need each other to replace all the Dealers that will be gone Bye Bye.
Lee Iacoca, now thats a joke Back when he took over Chrysler, a lot of the production went to ****. One good thing came out of his time, the turbine engine development for the Abrams tank. Back in the 70's it was called the XM1 while in testing. Got to see some of the testing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds when that thing had no govern on it. Talk about a wheely!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Daverb
Lee Iacoca, now thats a joke Back when he took over Chrysler, a lot of the production went to ****. One good thing came out of his time, the turbine engine development for the Abrams tank. Back in the 70's it was called the XM1 while in testing. Got to see some of the testing at Aberdeen Proving Grounds when that thing had no govern on it. Talk about a wheely!
Iaccoca turned Chrysler from the brink of bankruptcy with his connections in D.C. and made it into the most profitable auto manufacturer in the world before he retired. They went from building cars that lost parts going down the road to cars that were fairly well-built and innovative for the era.

I thought the Abrams turbine was a Honeywell unit. Basically a non-flight rated version of the unit used in the JetRanger on an Allison transmission.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM

Just listened to an extensive interview from some Pro's and the GM, Chrysler deal was brought up.
Bottom line was that GM is focussed on the 11 billion $ Chrysler has in cash and has it's blinders on as to the consequenses of all the problems this merger would create.
Says it would be a "BIG MISTAKE" for GM.
Hasn't GM made enough mistakes ???

FWIW
Old 10-19-2008, 03:39 PM

You watch......... i bet GM merges with Toyota.......

Quick Reply: The Big 2? GM/Chrysler Merger?