The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Bike Commuting

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

Bike Commuting

While reading another thread on this site, I came across a statement from one of the members that their commute was only 2 miles. That is a rediculously short distance.

As a cyclist and bike commuter, I know. I can do most trips under 5 miles in the same time it takes to drive. It saves me money and helps me feel better. As long as I don't have to haul too much, the bike is my preferred mode of transport for short trips. I put around 10,000 miles on my last car in the two years that I owned it. I expect to do about the same with the HHR. That really helps with the resale value on my cars also

I know that this is a car site, and that we all love our cars, and that we want to drive them and show them off to the world, but I really do beleive that many of us could make a difference if we simply chose to ride a bike or walk for some of the trips that we currently drive. As Americans, we have come to take our cars for granted.

I am sure that I will get some flames for posting this. But I have to be true to who I am, and that is a cyclist who truly beleives that if enough people were to ride bikes instead of drive everywhere that we could really make a difference. I will get off of my soap box for now.

Flame away
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM

I represent the other side of the coin. I live in the country & it's a 15min drive into town. I run my own biz & rely on a van for getting to my customers.
I plan on buying an HHR in order to save on the fuel costs.

I do have a mountain bike, but don't take it out on these country roads. Two cyclists have been killed in the past couple years. So for me, a bike is never going to be a practical alternative. I do commend you on your philosophy tho
Old 08-30-2007, 02:08 PM

Although I'm not a cyclist nor am I any sort of environmentalist I do wish that more effort was placed on conservation by individuals. Senseless wasting of resources just does not make sense.

There are so many easy things that can be done to lighten the load and human impact. I often wonder why people just seem to not care.

Some of the extremely simple things include not using the drive-thru at the fast food place or the bank or whatever else. If you have to wait in line at the drive-thru why not just park your car, shut it off and wait inside. Shut down your car at intersections that you know will take a while to change so that you can proceed. When stuck in traffic or at a railway crossing or something else like that, shut it down.

Conservation can be done easily and if done by enough people it makes a significant difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
Although I'm not a cyclist nor am I any sort of environmentalist I do wish that more effort was placed on conservation by individuals. Senseless wasting of resources just does not make sense.

There are so many easy things that can be done to lighten the load and human impact. I often wonder why people just seem to not care.

Some of the extremely simple things include not using the drive-thru at the fast food place or the bank or whatever else. If you have to wait in line at the drive-thru why not just park your car, shut it off and wait inside. Shut down your car at intersections that you know will take a while to change so that you can proceed. When stuck in traffic or at a railway crossing or something else like that, shut it down.

Conservation can be done easily and if done by enough people it makes a significant difference.

I find myself inside at most fast food places anyway. Everyone is in their cars while nobody is waiting inside. I can get in and out before I would have made it through the drive-thru line anyway.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:30 PM

For several years I lived in a small town and living about five miles from town and my office I rode my mountain bike every day weather permitting. I only live eight miles from work now but in a large city, you take your life in your hands here driving a car. Bikers here are hit all the time, even when riding in their own lane. It's seems they draw a lot of attention to themselves and are more of a target for road rage. I don't see how anyone could blame you for doing your part to help us all in the long run, way to go great post.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:31 PM

Funny you should start this thread. I recently bought a road bike (nothing fancy, but did make sure to get an aluminum frame and a few goodies). I have been riding daily and have been planning a route to ride back and forth to work on days I don't have to take the kids to baby-sitters, school, etc. Riding does make me feel better and makes my Dr. happy as well.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr

I agree will all except the shutting down at intersections and RR crossing. It may not start back up.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
I agree will all except the shutting down at intersections and RR crossing. It may not start back up.

Yeah sometimes it can be a little worrisome but than again I would expect new cars to start up everytime. An older vehicle I probably wouldn't shut down at intersections and such.

I wish the HHR had a battery voltage indicator, either a guage or a reading in the DIC so that it could be monitored.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:46 PM

I for one like burning leaded gas in my HHR while getting 3gpm and having a catless exhaust system... who needs baby seals when they look so much better on my girlfriend? And besides that Dolphins make tuna taste better!

If I had a bike I'd ride more often! Tucson is too damn hot from April to October to ride a bike during the day though!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:14 PM

I only live 7 miles from work and often ride my bike that distance. However, there are two roads that will get me to the base gate and both have speed limits of 45 mph or over with no sidewalks. I value my life too much to attempt a trip on them. I'd really like to get a recumbent bike because you sit so much lower and the wind resistance is less. But, I'm sure the danger of being hit on it would be just as high as on a mountain bike.

You have to understand that they don't require vision tests for drivers in Florida until you reach 65. You take your life into you hands every time you enter a roadway, whether on a motorcycle, a bicycyle, or in a car.

Quick Reply: Bike Commuting