The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

blue ray DVD vs HD DVD

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Hence I am buying into HD DVD and Blue Ray now, before it goes away. Or if it can hang on like LD did, I will be even happier. Dunno though, LD had no downloading competition.
I think I will be going the same route. PS3, and HD DVD player
Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
I think I will be going the same route. PS3, and HD DVD player
You will even be in a better position than I was, since the X-box 360 has been retooled to have HDMI out. Mine goes out component and my TV only allows 1080i through component inputs. Still, the HD player/X-Box 360 combo works real well and looks great. But with the newer HDMI output you will have no limitations, unless of course your monitor does not have HDMI inputs.
The PS3 runs hot, so keep it ventilated. You can control both systems with the regular game controllers, but they also offer real dedicated remotes for them as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM

You will even be in a better position than I was, since the X-box 360 has been retooled to have HDMI out. Mine goes out component and my TV only allows 1080i through component inputs. Still, the HD player/X-Box 360 combo works real well and looks great. But with the newer HDMI output you will have no limitations, unless of course your monitor does not have HDMI inputs.
The PS3 runs hot, so keep it ventilated. You can control both systems with the regular game controllers, but they also offer real dedicated remotes for them as well.
I made sure my tv had a hd HDMI input on it. 64' Samsung DLP. I need to upgrade the reciver first then everything else wil fall into place. Thinking of going with 7.1 sound. But then that means more speakers and the wife may not like that idea.
Thanks for the heads up on the PS3 heat problems. It would just sit on a glass shelf on my TV stand so I am not to worried about it, but always go to know.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Ok here is the deal with Blue Ray vs. HD DVD. LG does make a dual media player. But does not support any of the extra features of the HD DVD format. I.E. the pop up special features. Samsung is in the process of making a dual format that will fully support both. The LG and the Samsung units will retail for 1000 plus. Without the information in front of me. I can tell you that the Blue Ray format is faster and holds a higher capacity.

Stay tuned tru believers for later I shal have exact numbers for you.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:02 PM

The reviews have the PS3 wiping out the dedicated players in its BR speed and picture Quality. Newer dedicated players are getting better, but the state of the art Pioneer Elite will cost $1,500.00! Compared to the $600.00 of the PS3, which plays BR just about as well ( I believe the 24FPS emulation mode is really all the Pioneer has over the PS3 in BR playback ).

The only problem I'm having with the PS3 is getting it to recognize the bluetooth BR controller. I'm still using the game controler, but have sorta tried to get the real one to work to no avail.

I think it is my fault as I'm not doing it correct, or the remote's batteries are dead or somesuch.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:24 AM

The only problem I'm having with the PS3 is getting it to recognize the bluetooth BR controller. I'm still using the game controler, but have sorta tried to get the real one to work to no avail.

I think it is my fault as I'm not doing it correct, or the remote's batteries are dead or somesuch.
I have one of the logitech models remotes and would hope that would work with the PS3 BR
Old 05-31-2007, 01:46 PM

wai till there is a definate "winner", and then go with that

even still DVD wont go away.. its still the standard...

and if blu or Hd wins out.. there is already softwarez able to strip protection on them, rip them, and burn them...
Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by EL_REY

and if blu or Hd wins out.. there is already softwarez able to strip protection on them, rip them, and burn them...
I am to lazy to do all that
Old 06-01-2007, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by dbarberaz
I am to lazy to do all that
lol ez stuff...

about 4 clicks and just time...

i have about 3 of them 80 cd cases full