The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Are Boston officials overreacting to the "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" promotion/bomb?
YES! It's a friggin' cartoon show, people! Focus on some more important stuff for once!!
63.64%
NO! In a post-9/11 world, there's no room for shenanigans like this!!
18.18%
HUH? What the **** is "Aqua Teen Hunger Force?"
18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Is Boston overreacting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 11:21 AM

Question Is Boston overreacting?

Myself, personally ...

I am alternately laughing my @$$ off and shaking my head in sympathy for the two guys. I happen to be a big ATHF fan, and this is absolutely right down the alley for promotions for the show (and upcoming movie in March!!!). To me, Boston is horridly overreacting to this. While I can understand why you might be on edge regarding electronic devices ... let's be serious here, how can you mistake what for all intents and purposes is a LITE BRITE (!!!) for a bomb attached to a lump of C4?

Notice that no other cities need a change of underwear over these things. Not even NYC. I rest my case.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned

Hell yeah Boston over reacting! I believe the person who called it in as a bomb is who they should blame, not any of the parties involved in the marketing campaign. After all they were the one who started the bomb scare. They had the Ignignokt units in something like 9 other cities other than Boston and there was no bomb scares in any of the other locations. I though it was hilarious how they made it sound all serious on the news and the first thing they show is a recovery guy pulling out Ignignokt flipping the bird. I died laughing. I think they should have had Err on the unit showing the digital dong too. There was one of the units on eBay. It has been removed now. The last time I checked before they removed it the auction was up to $510.

Last edited by captain howdy; 02-02-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:12 PM

There were Irr units, too, actually. MSNBC's site has a close-up of an Irr unit before the bomb squad blew it to hell. I tended to describe the poses on them as the Mooninites "flashing their favorite obscene gesture."
Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

I'll have to look at the pic of the Err unit. I have a pic of the Ignignokt one up close as my wallpaper.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I'll have to look at the pic of the Err unit. I have a pic of the Ignignokt one up close as my wallpaper.
I found a small one:

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/60487/...n-terror-force
Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM

I think it's fantastic for ATHF! You could not buy the kind of publicity they are getting! I watch ATHF whenever I can. The wife hates it, but then again, she's usually asleep when it comes on
Old 02-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Boston did over react, however given the world we live in I think it is understandable. What bothers me is these guys were able to plant these things on bridges, billboards and highway overpasses without someone stopping them. That is scary.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

I guess it's different if you live in Boston. A guy on one of the other sites I'm on posted this about the situation. Edited of course because we can swear and say pretty much anything we want there.

well, living here, it was pretty serious. Ok, picture it.....
I'm in work and a friend comes up and says, route 93 is shut down and they found electronic devices on some bridges. Right away the memories of half the terrorists starting in Boston on 9/11 comes to mind and we are thinking, great...what now? It's different when you only have half the story and don't know whats happening.

Granted the whole thing is incredibly stupid. But think about it, this ****ing idiot went and put what looks like circuit boards with wires on bridges and the subway terminal in a city that is on guard for terrorist activity. What the **** was this guy thinking???
So yeah he's in jail now and Boston is going after Time Warner and who ever came up with the idea.
I love Aqua Teen, but **** who ever made me think terrorist targeted MA again.
But yeah, completely absurd situation.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:14 PM

What's disturbing is the way they overreact then complain about the cost.

When there's a car accident in our town, a fire truck responds whether there's a risk of fire or not. Now anyone over 40 can remember the show Emergency in the 70's were a small fire rescue truck would be the first responder. So why, in this day and age, are we sending a full-size fire truck that gets 2 mpg?

In the same sense, the officials of Boston pulled out all the stops way too fast. The use of a robotic camera would have given them a clear idea of what they had. Well, at least it made for good TV news for a day or two!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:37 PM

Looks like they got what they wanted.

Broadcaster to Pay $2M in Bomb Scare
By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
3 hours ago

BOSTON - Turner Broadcasting Systems and Interference Inc. have agreed to pay $2 million for a Cartoon Network advertising campaign that caused a widespread bomb scare, the attorney general said Monday.

The agreement with several state and local agencies resolves any potential civil or criminal claims against the companies, said Attorney General Martha Coakley.

More than three dozen blinking electronic signs with a boxy cartoon character giving an obscene hand gesture were found Wednesday in Boston, Cambridge and Somerville. The signs, part of a publicity campaign for Cartoon Network's "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," also appeared in nine other big U.S. cities in recent weeks, with little interest.

But in Boston, bomb squads responded to reports of the devices in a subway station, on bridges and elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Is Boston overreacting?