The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: cable, Satellite, or rabbit ears??
Rabbit Ears
8.91%
Cable
47.52%
Satellite
43.56%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Cable or Satellite?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by HHR_ROX_CALI
I know a lot of people are freaking out over this but it's really nothing. The small percentage of folks with older TVs getting reception through an antenna will need a small adaptor that is going to be virtually free.
What does the antenna have to do with it the older TV`s don`t have HD turners in them.The HD converter`s are $300.00 around here it will hurt alot of people that are not on cable or sat.to go out and buy a new TV.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
Not with time warner hd is free except 4 channels which you would have to pay for.
Damm always screwing us Canadians over
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
What does the antenna have to do with it the older TV`s don`t have HD turners in them.The HD converter`s are $300.00 around here it will hurt alot of people that are not on cable or sat.to go out and buy a new TV.
If your tv only recieves analog siganl then you will have to get a digital to analog convertor, which hhr rox said will cost next to nothing, you can get i htink a total of 2 coupons for them.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by chadpuska
fiber optic will be very interesting to see once it come out cuz for one its going to be very expensive to have it ran to your house and if needs repaired from being cut or damaged ha good luck with that, that will be very expensive.One other thing NFL network wants to charge Time Warner Cable alot of money thats why they will have to charge to have it added to their line up. I cant remember which one it is but one of the Satellite companies i think owns NFL network, and anohter thing with NFL network being so awesome how come they dont offer any of their game in hi def?
I never said NFL network is "awesome". The only games I have seen is when Dallas is playing because the NFL has to show them in Dallas. We pick it up on one of the old UHF stations. There sound sucks, it cuts in and out and I can't stand their annoucers. All I said is I want to SEE the game. It's all about money. The NFL says it is Time Warner's and Comcast's fault, and they say it is the NFL's fault. I don't care who everyone wants to blame, I just would enjoy seeing the other games that aren't Dallas Cowboy games. As for fiber optics, yes they can be cut but so can cable. You don't have fiber optics in your house just in the lines going to your outside box. And when they break it is just like when my neighbor cut my cable line installing a driveway. They come out and fix it for FREE. We have had fiber optics for years at my work and they can be repaired when they break without a lot of hoopala.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by GTOMIKE
I think where the confusion lies is the difference between receiving a digital signal vs receiving an HD signal. The upcoming changes involve going to a digital signal.
Here's what an antenna has to do with it: if you 1) get reception through an antenna and 2) have an older TV without a digital tuner, you will need the converter box that converts the signal from digital to analog so that your TV still works. The converter boxes are only about $40 and there is an agency giving out $40 vouchers (see an08HHR's link in post above). You don't need to buy a new TV to get the same channels you're getting now. If you have an antenna and a TV with a digital tuner, no issue. If you have a TV without a digital tuner but have cable or satellite, again- no issue.
But when you say HD Converters are $300, I think you're talking about an HD receiver. Different animal. You need a HD TV and some form of HD tuner to see HD broadcasts. That's the way it already is now- the coming change referred to in this thread has nothing to do with that.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:37 PM

My house was built in the 1920's, so there was a time where the dish was pretty much all I could get in my 'hood. I like the dish and have never had problems with it.

I'm told you can get dsl service with it now--I really want to get rid of my landline, but for now, need it for dsl

Last edited by afs9; 01-23-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the extra explanation on that ROX and chadpuska nothing like that around here yet but hope they do something to help out those who will need it in Canada too.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM

I voted Satellite but I have Dish and an Antenna to pick up my digital Locals (and HD) for Free.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I never said NFL network is "awesome". The only games I have seen is when Dallas is playing because the NFL has to show them in Dallas. We pick it up on one of the old UHF stations. There sound sucks, it cuts in and out and I can't stand their annoucers. All I said is I want to SEE the game. It's all about money. The NFL says it is Time Warner's and Comcast's fault, and they say it is the NFL's fault. I don't care who everyone wants to blame, I just would enjoy seeing the other games that aren't Dallas Cowboy games. As for fiber optics, yes they can be cut but so can cable. You don't have fiber optics in your house just in the lines going to your outside box. And when they break it is just like when my neighbor cut my cable line installing a driveway. They come out and fix it for FREE. We have had fiber optics for years at my work and they can be repaired when they break without a lot of hoopala.
i know you didnt say it was awesome im just saying people love it. and yes i know coaxial can be cut its also a 100 times cheaper, just about the whole cable system where i live is ran with fiber all the they was to the node coming from the head end of the cable provider. its then transfered to coaxial cable which is what goes to your house. If you want full fiber optic speed you need to have fiber ran to your house which i know for a fact that you have to pay for when it become available, and its not cheap at all. most cable system have put all new fiber lines in if they havent its on the way.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM

I have cox cable for everything: phone internet and cable. Not happy at the rate they are brng over HD channels seems slow to me . We only get about about 15 of them
HD channels had nothing to fo with the thread just wanted to vent

Quick Reply: Cable or Satellite?