The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: cable, Satellite, or rabbit ears??
Rabbit Ears
8.91%
Cable
47.52%
Satellite
43.56%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Cable or Satellite?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM

I also have Direct TV, have had for 7 years since moving to the "country", well we are on the edge of town. We also have an antenna so when the satellite goes out.
The house across the street and commercial property next door are considered country, but when the last owner had to do well work the city told them NO they had to go to city sewer and water which did put us within city limits (so you'd think we could get cable).
We cannot get DSL at all, AT&T and Charter cable both say we are too far out! We only live 1/2 block from the Moose Club and other residential areas that have cable (one subdivision is 2 miles farther out and they have cable), but we can't get DSL from anyone except Hughes Net which costs an arm and a leg to install. Sorry for venting but this is the 21st century after all!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by donbb82
I also have Direct TV, have had for 7 years since moving to the "country", well we are on the edge of town. We also have an antenna so when the satellite goes out.
The house across the street and commercial property next door are considered country, but when the last owner had to do well work the city told them NO they had to go to city sewer and water which did put us within city limits (so you'd think we could get cable).
We cannot get DSL at all, AT&T and Charter cable both say we are too far out! We only live 1/2 block from the Moose Club and other residential areas that have cable (one subdivision is 2 miles farther out and they have cable), but we can't get DSL from anyone except Hughes Net which costs an arm and a leg to install. Sorry for venting but this is the 21st century after all!!
Talk to your local cable company about having a plant extention they might do it for free.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM

I have Dish Network and love it. Our cable around here is horrible, so I don't have much choice but satellite. That said I'm quite happy with Dish, but I do have an antenna just in case I loose reception for some reason, which only happens in a hard downpour.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM

Timre Warner and Road Runner here along with Vonage for phone. I don't care for the dish and I will not settle for DSL, gotta have my cable high speed.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:06 AM

In the boonies of Southeast Kentucky cable sucks. I've had DirectTV for several years and really like it. I can't get the local channels (which aren't really local, they are about 60 miles away) because of the mountains blocking the satellite for those, so I get the networks from New York and LA. Really neat if I miss a network program at 8, I can catch it again at 11 from the west coast. The only outage is during a downpour of rain which may happen 2 times a year, and then only for a couple of minutes.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Right now I have cable, which also is the internet. But they just changed from insight to comcast and it is going to screw up so many things for so many people. They are going to give us 30 days to change all our e-mail addressed from insightbb.com to whatever the new one is. Long story short probably going back to the dish.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Platinum Member

I have Dish Satelite AND "rabbit ears" (for local HD transmissions). Although HD is available from Dish, I didn't get it originally.....and just haven't up graded.

Dish seems to work very well and their service is top notch. My only objection is paying for about 50 channels that I never watch and 40 (Sirrus) I never listen to.

There is about 10 religious channels, 8-10 Spanish language channels, 6-8 shoping channels, BET, a couple of "home and garden" things and about 15 duplications....that I never watch.

At least in my area, the advertising by Dish of 140 (some indicated above)channels for $39.95 is a bit of a scam. Local channels are provided by the normal channel number. They are again provided in the higher number bands so there is duplication.

Question for the "broadband" people...... Those with DSL, at what speed is it advertised and supplied at (mine is advertised at 1.5...I get an actual 1.4)? The cable people, the same question.

Oh, and I don't SEEM to have any reception problems in storms.
Old 01-27-2008, 02:23 PM

I have rabbit ears and a 15 year old tv. The darn thing doesn't even have RCA jacks The wife and I don't watch too much TV, just the network channels and PBS. With such few options (read we only receive 6 channels) we seldom fight over the TV as most of what's on is not worth watching. Now if we just had two computers again...
Old 01-27-2008, 03:28 PM

I have Direct TV, It works well there DSL is not on sat. but with at&t. I have dail up for comp. a little slow on large down loads. I live off the hard road and to install cable I would Have to pay for 1273ft off cable + install, They round up to 1500ft on cable and install. But the next house is over a 1/4m away, I like that.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Question for the "broadband" people...... Those with DSL, at what speed is it advertised and supplied at (mine is advertised at 1.5...I get an actual 1.4)? The cable people, the same question.
Paying for 3.0 getting a constant 2.5

Quick Reply: Cable or Satellite?