The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Can Any Floridians Help Me With Homeowner's Ins?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Can Any Floridians Help Me With Homeowner's Ins?

I've been with State Farm most of my life. My homeowners went from $500 to $1200 a few years ago when they also created a separate hurricane deductible. Then it went up to $3600 last year. I raised the deductible to 3% to bring it down to $2600. My renewal this year went down to $2300. This weekend I get a letter from my agent asking me to call him. The letter had a quote from Citizen's Ins for $1600.

I have several questions but the most important is will going to Citizens put me in a "high risk" category? I'm 3 blocks from a bayou but 7 miles from the ocean. I've never filed a claim but State Farm rates me the same as the waterfront property because we share the same zip code. Also, if I go to Citizens will I ever be able to go back to regular markets?

Yeah, I guess my agent is looking out for me but he collects almost as much commission on my vehicles as he does on homeowners. If I move the homeowners, I'll also find cheaper auto coverage. The multi-line discount will be gone and $800 a year is way too much to pay for a clean record and a low priced vehicle.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:48 PM

Looks like you are on your own, SandyBeach
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM

I have State Farm as well, but use a different one for car.
A Cliet's family member told me that State Farm will be leaving FL in about a year or so, that was 3 mths ago. Nothing from my Agent. Looks like yours just might be looking out for you!
My other half uses Citizen's, his house was built in the early 20's and no one would insure homes that old except for Citizen's, at least in Tampa. He has no problem with them.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:38 PM
jx3

Watch out for that deductible from Citizens. And also offers less coverage.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM

Actually, the deductible was 1% rather than the 3% I have now.

I consider Citizens as a last resort coverage and I'm not to the point I need that. State Farm didn't cancel me when they cancelled tons of others. I don't believe they'll ever leave Florida totally. But, they could easily price themselves out of the market.