The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Canadian Visit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 AM
Founding Member

Canadian Visit

I will be visiting Canada this summer in June and would like to know something. Other than not trying to ride a transit without paying, what else should I do or not do to make sure that Canadian law inforcement doesn't taser me?

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-128d2c136203

Besides the well known story of the man at the airport dying, I have heard there has already been 4 deaths from people being tased in Canada.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:57 AM

Just which city in Canada are you visiting? I've lived in a few and never been tasered myself. Haven't even had a speeding ticket in nearly 20 years.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Founding Member

Victoria.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:34 AM

When the road signs say 100, that's kilometers per hour, not miles per hour
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Black Rose
When the road signs say 100, that's kilometers per hour, not miles per hour

I plan on abusing the Pub District so I hope I don't see any Mounties!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:32 AM

Re the speed thing, I've never been west of Ontario so take this with a grain of salt. With the notable exception of Ontario and Quebec, when the speed limit sign says 100, it's 100, not 110... Ontario and Quebec typically won't stop you for less than 15-20 over, but everywhere else you're looking at 10 over max.

You'll probably have some leeway with US plates, just play dumb on the conversion thing :) 50 over will get your car seized at the roadside... license suspension at the road side... and up to a $10,000 fine (which now that the dollar's stonger actually means something to you )
Old 04-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Other than not trying to ride a transit without paying, what else should I do or not do to make sure that Canadian law inforcement doesn't taser me? I have heard there has already been 4 deaths from people being tased in Canada.
Nice City, real nice weather, which in certain areas is also attractive to some people without permanent shelter.

We use Texas law here; if they got tasered then they must have asked for it. I would think that more people got tasered last week in Dallas then in Canada this year.

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I plan on abusing the Pub District so I hope I don't see any Mounties!
Hope that you walk or take a cab, a DYI is very serious here and Victoria is on an Island…..just like Alcatraz … so they might just keep you forever or even taser you.

Have a good time.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Founding Member

Actually our law enforcement like to use live rounds. Last time someone didn't pay for their train ride, they shot him.

Yes walking or cabs.....the only way to travel after a pub visit.

Originally Posted by Old Ray
Nice City, real nice weather, which in certain areas is also attractive to some people without permanent shelter.

We use Texas law here; if they got tasered then they must have asked for it. I would think that more people got tasered last week in Dallas then in Canada this year.

Hope that you walk or take a cab, a DYI is very serious here and Victoria is on an Island…..just like Alcatraz … so they might just keep you forever or even taser you.

Have a good time.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Victoria is a great city. I lived there for about 8 years and loved it but I worked for Gov and they were laying people off with buyouts so it was a good time to take the money and run.

Hubby was born and raised there. He loved the weather and hasn't quite forgiven me for dragging him off to Calgary. I love Calgary but the weather, to put it bluntly, sucks! It's snowing like crazy today and they say we may get a total of 50cm by Monday.

I just posted some photos of the snow on my blog - http://completerunning.com/dawn-on-the-run/

As for Victoria, transit isn't that great but if you are staying downtown, you can walk almost anywhere. Go for a walk along the inner harbour, always interesting and entertaining along there. Becareful though, they do ticket Jaywalkers....lol.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:23 PM

I just got back from Newfie land and only seen one of Canada's finest

Quick Reply: Canadian Visit