The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Car Members Calendar/Possible Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by GCarp
Does this mean that if YOU take a picture of YOUR car and try to profit from it AND the manufacturer's logo is visible, you are open to lawsuit from them? How about if you de-badge it or block out the logos on the car in some way?
I don't know exactly how things are handled but when you purchase a vehicle you basically purchase the right to use that vehicle for transportation and such but you don't purchase access rights to the company name or moniker or logo or anything like that.

Rights laws and ownership laws and such seem like they can be fairly complicated situations.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM

Ford and MOPAR are getting stupid over this stuff. A MOPAR message board I'm on was shut down by MOPAR over this. Mustang Plus a restoration parts company has had to change their name because the word MUSTANG is a Ford Trade Mark. GM did this in the 80's and enflamed the restoration people back then, but came up with a simple licensening procedure. Seems like Ford and MOPAR find it hard to support the people that keep their names in front of their buyers/owners/supporters
Old 01-19-2008, 08:35 PM

Check this out. Cafe Press NOT Ford stopped the calendar.

http://www.adrants.com/2008/01/ford-...ts-returns.php

See the site above where Ford says ANYONE can take a photo of their car and make a calendar and sell it.

If people couldn't take photos and sell or publish them then all magazines would be shut down as well.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM

I took that as Ford did stop the calendar and then Cafe Press did what was needed to go ahead with the calendar. I still think if Ford did anything to stop the calendar, or any other car manufacturer, then they are just pushing their customers away.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 PM

Quoted from Hemmings Motor News:

My name is Whitney Drake and I work in Ford Communications.
We’ve been watching this discussion with interest and I’d like to
clarify what is essentially a misunderstanding.
Yesterday we spoke to both Cafe Press and the Black Mustang Club
and explained the situation (about the Black Mustang Club’s calendar) to everyone’s satisfaction. Ford has no problem with Mustang or other car owners taking pictures of their vehicles for use in club materials like calendars. What we do have an issue with are individuals using Ford’s logo and other trademarks for products they intend to sell. Understandably, we have to take the protection of our brands and licensing very seriously.
Ford did not send the Black Mustang Club a “cease and desist” letter telling them that they could not use images of their own cars in their calendar. The decision not to allow the calendars to be printed was made by Cafe Press, because we had gotten in touch with them in the past about trademark infringements on products they sold.
The Black Mustang Club, and any other Ford enthusiast club, are free to take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials as long as they don’t use Ford trademarks in products that will be sold.
I think it is great that the Black Mustang Club, and any other enthusiast club, would take pictures of their own vehicles for use in calendars or other materials.
I’m looking forward to purchasing a copy to hang in the garage next
to my Mustang (even if mine isn’t black).
Thanks for giving us the chance to have our say.