The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Cheers to ChevyMgr!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:56 AM

Yes thanks MGR, I pick up my HHR this week and looking forward to being here.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Thumbs up Big THANK YOU to ChevyMgr

Just before the holiday weekend my wind screen bracket broke. Nothing serious, just the customary retention bracket. I called the nearest Chevy dealer and requested a price quote for the repair. When the Service Adviser came back with a repair cost of approx. $450.00, I said woooooe. I was instructed the labor was over $400 and the parts were about $50 (later found out the parts were less than $20 retail). So I said no, and hung up.

I remembered ChevyMgr posted the TSB regarding this repair and it listed the necessary parts........it also was pretty descriptive on how the repair was accomplished. After looking up and copying the TSB (08-08-67-018) I called the same dealer and after providing the GM part numbers, I requested a price. The parts guy tells me they are ONLY available to GM dealers and authorized repair centers. I argued that point, but got nowhere.

I then called a friend, who works at the dealership I normally do business with. I provided the part numbers and he gave me MY price of about $15.00 for the pair of replacement brackets. he had them in stock and I drove the 22 miles, one way, and picked them up.

I was about to start the work, as described in the TSB, and another friend (I know, you didn't think I had more than 1 friend) stopped by and said he would help.

To shorten the story....it took about 3 hours to complete...removing the headliner, drilling out the rivets to the existing bracket, installing the new bracket, and reinstalling the headliner. I saved the $400 quoted labor charge (dealer said "book" was 4 hours at $105/hr).

Oh and if you do this, be careful with the headliner and the Velcro type attachments. If your careful it's a piece of cake.

This forum is very fortunate to have ChevyMgr and for him to supply us with valuable information.

ChevyMgr....if you are so inclined, I owe you a "cold one" of your choice, when I'm down in the Houston area (or if you are in the Phx. area)
Old 06-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Glad to know it's somewhat easy! As a fellow sunroof owner, I am concerned about this in the future...as it seems that sunroofs are one of the first things to go on cars. (Heck, I was car shopping with a friend today, and an Alero we looked at had the sunroof caulked shut!!! )
Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Brad is the man !
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Founding Member

Glad the TSB assisted you in doing your own repair. That's why I post them. Informed people are knowledgable people.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 06-04-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Removed decal reference and moved posts to Hillsdalehhr's Decal Thread
Old 06-04-2010, 12:25 PM

sunroof repair parts

I just paid $96 including tax for the parts to repair my sunroof. I needed the two rails as mentioned in the TSB, but also needed the wind deflector as well. When the end of the sunroof rail broke off, it took the end of the wind deflector with it. Chevy only sells the deflector as an assembly, even though the broken end is held on with a single Torx screw. I tried for months to get the wind deflector used, without success. That's all the parts, and the dealer will do the labor at a special price of $65/hr for 4 hours, plus tax. So, it will cost me under $400, since I am not handy enough to take the headliner down by myself.