The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Chevrolet Unveils Aveo RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tominator
The Aveo will only be worth about 50% of it's selling price after 3 years. Any Toyota[the Yaris was mentioned] or Honda will be worth 75% of it's purchase price. Even Fords are starting to retain some value where in the past they rivaled GM in used car value.

GM keeps spending BILLIONS in advertising claiming their cars are as good as the competition. They are NOT!

Yes, a few models shine...but too many GM cars are just junk...the Impala comes to mind.

I would not have a Chrysler product and the Dakota is among the least reliable trucks in existence. ALL Chrysler products suffer from crap electrical systems and motors [including the Hemi] that have numerous design flaws.

The Aveo has a bad rep and just advertising and paying off major auto publications to market it will not work.
I hate to have to agree on this one. My HHR SS isn't worth spit compared to what I paid for it new. My wife's Honda is worth more.

I'd agree that sometimes, GM puts out a winner and it goes under the radar. Take the early 90's trucks, great drivetrain, good durability, awesome design, I still see many on the road even with the salt we throw down. The 3800 in my Firebird was a great engine and at 98K, it was flawless, I'm sad to have sold it. Overall, it was a great car, just not practical for my family. If you live in the north, you'll see Corsica's and Beretta's occasionally. They don't have the rust issues that many cars have. The Lumina/Transport vans faired well up here with a friend of mine getting 200K on his.

I really think it's hit or miss with GM and unfortunately it takes 10 years to realize that the 90's S-10 was a tough little truck or the pick-ups from that era last forever. When you buy a Honda, it goes without saying. We sold my wife's '98 Accord with 160K for 4K last year and were blown away that it took 2 days to sell!

I wish the American Auto manufactures well but I don't have faith that they will survive. Too much of the money (IMO) is getting spent on upper level management salaries and advertising and not enough on building a solid car we want to buy. And when I look at the window sticker and see that it was 75% made in Mexico, I reallly don't want to "Buy American".

Jim

PS, my Jeep is a POS and I will NEVER buy Chrysler again. EVER!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:20 PM

The Aveo is built in Korean by GM Deawoo, so if you really get to the heart of the Aveo it is a Deawoo.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:23 AM

As a 19 year old I've had 3 cars. 00 pontiac sunfire, 98 civic, and my current 09 HHR SS. To throw my 2 cents in on the current topic of "junk" and "a good car" it all depends on what you want and the car you get. No two cars are going to be the same in performace or durability. Common knowledge. Also it depends on what you want the car for. If you want performance then honda is definately not what you want to buy unless your looking for a weak ass motor to swap out for something better, build, then boost it. Then maybe you'll be able to get out of a loaded 18 wheelers way taking off from a red light. But I will give honda one thing. The car was durable and the hand brake locked up well allowing the rear end to come around on turns perfectly. haha. But in comparison to the sunfire, i'd rather of had the sunfire. The car was just as durable as the honda and ran perfect at 110,000 miles. As for the HHR SS, I've had little problems while some people on here have had major problems and others have had none. In comparison to its competition the MS3 the SS is 150% better of a car. 3 local owners of the MS3's have had major issues such as blown turbos, messed up drivetrain, and a motor mount breaking causing major problems all at less than 30k miles amoung other issues. If it has moving parts your bound to have something go wrong. lol.

Back on topic of the original post. Gm wants this to appeal to the younger generation aka my generation and younger. Personally I love this car and I think it'd make an impact on my generation who appeals more to VW hatchs shaped kinda like this car. I'd buy one for sure with a good price and a 5yr 100k mile warrenty like my SS especially since it'd be built in America, good on gas, and should still have a little performance, most likely more than stock hondas.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:35 AM

I really like the look of the Aveo RS as it sits now. The problem with this segment of cars is that manufacturers normally don't spend the money on interiors and refinement because they don't feel they will be able to recoup the cost. Small hatches in the U.S. have never been extremely popular like they are overseas. Too bad really. Ford has stuck some major $$$ into the new Fiesta so we will see how that works for them.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by decsr72256
The Aveo is built in Korean by GM Deawoo, so if you really get to the heart of the Aveo it is a Deawoo.

Not anymore...
Old 01-10-2010, 10:39 AM

The Aveo will only be worth about 50% of it's selling price after 3 years. Any Toyota[the Yaris was mentioned] or Honda will be worth 75% of it's purchase price. Even Fords are starting to retain some value where in the past they rivaled GM in used car value.

GM keeps spending BILLIONS in advertising claiming their cars are as good as the competition. They are NOT!

Yes, a few models shine...but too many GM cars are just junk...the Impala comes to mind.

I would not have a Chrysler product and the Dakota is among the least reliable trucks in existence. ALL Chrysler products suffer from crap electrical systems and motors [including the Hemi] that have numerous design flaws.

The Aveo has a bad rep and just advertising and paying off major auto publications to market it will not work.
Thanks for your 02. Funny you bring up the Impala considering its one of the few GM's that have not undergone a major update. We will see what you think of the New Impala when it arrive's.

Also some people don't care all that much for resale. Some buy based on Safety,Price Point, Fuel economy. When you drive over a 150k in 5yr's resale Value mean's very little.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:41 AM

New Aveo, Built in MI, putting 1200 employee's back to work.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 AM

The 2011 Aveo will be built in Michigan. And since there technically is no such thing as a Daewoo anymore, since GM bought it outright, it's a Chevy.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 AM

I don't consider resale when I buy a car, it's actually the least important part of the transaction. I buy a vehicle to drive it, and I buy what I think looks good, drives well and fits my needs...I don't really care about a hypothetical "what if I trade it in after 3 years". I DRIVE my cars. I have a nearly 70 mile daily commute (round trip) and I will normally put 26K a year on my cars. It used to be more but since my "significant other" and I started car-pooling, it has gone down somewhat. Resale is great for leases, but not for people passionate about cars.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:26 AM

It's a Korean car....now...rag on the Japanese awhile....

I hope like hell it's a GREAT car, but GM needs to stress quality as much as advertising....
So are Hyundais and they are highly regarded as great, reliable cars...and they sell very well. Being "Korean" has NOTHING to do with it.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Unveils Aveo RS