The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Chevy Captiva

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM

Hmm think I am gonna sketch an HHR replacement based on the Cruze platform next weekend inspired by the late 50's Apache !!! By the way Chevy has a cool little "El Camino" I saw in Mexico called the Tornado it seems to be for Mexico, Brazil, and Australia under the Holden name there.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Hyperv6, Yeah I got my 2009 LS panel for 12 grand with 12 thousand miles on it, great deal almost 2 years ago!!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 PM

Captiva

Very cool Atom!

My buddy had said he knew of a Russian Captiva and here you are with this.

QR

Last edited by QuickRick; 02-28-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by gguy1
Hmm think I am gonna sketch an HHR replacement based on the Cruze platform next weekend inspired by the late 50's Apache !!! By the way Chevy has a cool little "El Camino" I saw in Mexico called the Tornado it seems to be for Mexico, Brazil, and Australia under the Holden name there.
I'm familiar with those. I believe they also sell them in South Africa. If we had those here, that would be my daily driver. I think it was also called the Montana in some markets.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by db/sb
I'm familiar with those. I believe they also sell them in South Africa. If we had those here, that would be my daily driver. I think it was also called the Montana in some markets.

They are the Montana is Brazil. They are not the prettiest things you ever saw.

There are going to be some major changes in the cars we drive over the next 13 years. Things you never thought would happen.

I would recomend the artical in the new Autoweek page 24 of the March 5th issue. It speaks of the 55 MPG CAFe that is coming and the several things that may happen. Smaller SUV's will be the norm and ones like the Tahoe may be gone for good. That is at least what one un named GM engineer stated. If you don't believe that has anyone seen the Buick Encore yet?

I would recomend reading this as it is very informitive and it is information right from the engineers and market watchers that have to deal with it.

As they say the good thing is cars will get lighter in most cases by 1000 pound. But how much will it cost and how small will they be, Car companies are also looking to decontenting. Yes things like entertainment systems, GPS and other things could be replaced with a removable smart phone system.

The day may be coming where a HHR sized SUV could be the new Suburban LOL!

Note large Trucks fro 3/4 ton and up will have easier standards but they will still be effected. The 1/2 tons will be directly effected.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the pix and info!!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:31 AM

I have seen One... Captiva here in just east of

Stlouis. As said b4 was basically a Saturn Vue

with a minor nose job. It kinda looked like a smaller Equinox.!

Not a bad little suv/crossover
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
They are the Montana is Brazil. They are not the prettiest things you ever saw.
True, but neither is the 1990 Ford Ranger I presently use as the daily driver/mule, etc. Back to the Captiva: I've seen those around town here with in San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department livery.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:37 PM

I've heard that when the next generation Holden Commodore/Monaro platform arrives in 2014, the US will be getting a proper El Camino.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Dracos
I've heard that when the next generation Holden Commodore/Monaro platform arrives in 2014, the US will be getting a proper El Camino.
Not too sure on this yet. A lot of info is pretty dark on the Zeta replacment. With the Camaro going to the Alpha this will leave one less car on the Zeta.

GM is moving most RWD cars like the ATS, CTS and Camaro to the Alpha. There is also a new Cadillac Flagship in the works and it has been mentioned it may be called the Omega platform.

Right now Holden has been transforming into basically a Right hand drive Chevy. They already have the Cruze, and renames Sonic. They will be getting the new Malibu and Colorado. Labor issues and the value of the Aussie currency is making GM go to the Goverment for money to keep production in OZ. Imports are taking over there as the Mazda 3 I saw last year was the best seller. OZ is kind of going though what our industry did in the 70's and it is hurting them. If GM does not get what they need from the goverment and labor unions they will move production else where.

Right now the Caprice police package has had issue getting imported. It make one wonder if they may move it to the Oshawa plant. It could be built on the Camaro line if needed.

As much as I would love to see a new Manaro El Camino I am not going to hold my breath. There are things GM needs much worse that have been put on hold.

The next 13 years some really crazy things are going to take place in the industry due to the 54.5 CAFE. One GM engineer said he would not be suprised if models like the full size SUV's just go away.

At this point a lot hinges on the EV cars and Hybrids. The more of them they can sell the better. If they do not make market share gains things may get crazier yet.

The Democrates are not going to back off this CAFE number and it is yet to be seen if the Republicans will if they should get into office. Most MFG's would like a review around 2017 for adjustments based on the state of the market and model mix at that time.

This is why GM is investing in the Volt, ECO and the E assist models. They really need to get these to sell to give them room to sell the larger vehicles. The 1/2 ton truck still rules and it may force the MFG to move to the 3/4 as the standard as they have less regulation in this whole fiasco.