The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Is the Chevy Orlando the new HHR

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
Great info thanks. I am not looking for much for a tow vehicle...just a bit more than the 1000lbs limit our hhr has. I would have to imagine an AWD diesel should be able to tow a few thousand lbs. Mahindra is bringing a 2.2L diesel truck out in the spring that will tow a bit over 5000lbs and has a payload of 1.3 ton. Unloaded the vehicle promises 30+mpgs. If the Indians can do it, the Americans should be able to.
That is just it they are going for the MPG's. Even the Gas engines will all be Down on power compare to the HHR.

THe AWD will be an issue as it take power to run all 4 wheels so I think a FWD may tow a little better. Not to mention if the AWD would even be available the Diesel.

The Six speed will help a lot.

Most of what the Chevy Cruze will get will also be in the Orlando. Much will be shared.

I will post more once I get some more leaks. With the Detroit show coming up we will get a lot more info after the first of the year. Some GM folks are already doing controled info leaks. Note if you look around many spy photo's all of a sudden appeared of the Orlando. GM does this to stir up interest before a big release.

The big thing on the Orlando is it was designed for Europe and has the 3rd seat. Most Americans could care less about the 3rd row but in Europe it is a must. But if it were not for the Opel version we would not get the Diesel. So we get some things and we have to take some things.

I think this will sell but I wonder if it will really sell over 100K units per year like the HHR. The pricing will have to be right in this market to make this thing stand out. I expect a $16K to $26K range. Just my guess. It will have to remain under the Nox in price.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Premium Member

Thanks...

Great info, looking fwd to any further facts after the shows.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the Info according to Motortrend the Orland is suppose to go against the Mazda5 segment. I hope the diesel make's into production there needs to be more Diesel options out there.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by VictorySpark08
Thanks for the Info according to Motortrend the Orland is suppose to go against the Mazda5 segment. I hope the diesel make's into production there needs to be more Diesel options out there.
The Mazda and a few others are the target here.

The Diesel will also be in the Cruze from what I hear. This will either prove there is deand and bring more or prove there is no market.

While Diesels have always has some demand with the Euro cars and trucks there was always a risk with the American and Asian cars since there just has not been proven demand. I hope this will prove there is a market and give us more options.

Diesel cars are like stick shift. some people demand them and when they are sold they only account for less than 5% of the market. So with GM selling more of the same cars here and over there now the risk is much less. This same factor will give us more AWD options too.

I would love to see a small DI Tubo Diesel offered at GM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:57 AM

I would love the diesel too! I think VW is doing well with there diesel golf and jettas. Now that diesel is only a few cents more than gas, people should get on board.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:20 AM

According to GMs web site, it will be powered by a 1.4 liter turbo gas engine.

I think I will stick with my hhr. When I trade it in in 6 years or so, I will probably go back to a Silverado, as I do not care for the looks of the orlando.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by opelpowered
I would love the diesel too! I think VW is doing well with there diesel golf and jettas. Now that diesel is only a few cents more than gas, people should get on board.
I did read about the diesel option. The VW's are outstanding cars with the TDI powertrain (I had an 02 Jetta TDI prior to my HHR). The VW motor is a work of art, not sure if the GM version is as efficient or relieable. If its available, I will put some effort into checking into it. If its any good, I'll take a diesel.....because you can't beat the mileage. I commute 150 km per day (94mi). My 2.4 is OK, but it is a far cry from the TDI.

Checking out some of the spy shots, it looks like they kept the production version close to the concept, but they flatened out the sides and bubbled up the greenhouse area up. I would have liked if they stayed with the concept proportions....but will hold out final judgement until I see it. Might try and make my way down to detroit for the show.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 AM

The diesel engine they would put in it would be designed by opel. A german engineering bunch that designed the first generation ecotecs. That being said I think you would have to worry much about it, opel makes a damn fine engine.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 AM

I would be VERY interested in one if they made a diesel.... But I heard that there will only be a diesel in the Cruze in Europe....

I'd wish it could make it here! Imagine the mpgs!
Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM

So maybe the upcoming GMC Granite was the clay mock-up that was shown in the background of that GM commerical with the exec strolling through the styling studio a while back? From the leaks, it sounds like it will be the sporty/style version of the Orlando and is the vehicle that may appeal to the HHR faithful. If so, I can forgive some of the looks but it better have the stuff to run with the big(ger) dogs like the SS for it to have any chance by me.

Quick Reply: Is the Chevy Orlando the new HHR