The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Is the Chevy Orlando the new HHR

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoadDawg831
So maybe the upcoming GMC Granite was the clay mock-up that was shown in the background of that GM commerical with the exec strolling through the styling studio a while back? From the leaks, it sounds like it will be the sporty/style version of the Orlando and is the vehicle that may appeal to the HHR faithful. If so, I can forgive some of the looks but it better have the stuff to run with the big(ger) dogs like the SS for it to have any chance by me.
The Granite is smaller than the Orlando, and supposedly built on the Gamma II platform (2011 Aveo). It's about 6 inches shorter than the Scion xB, which is it's main competitor. The Granite will be an inner-city urban-ute, a market that only Scion and Kia are in at the moment. It will be about the size of the HHR, inside and out and will appeal to young urbanites wanting to haul stuff from IKEA and Whole Foods to their uber hip condo downtown.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rooney
The Granite is smaller than the Orlando, and supposedly built on the Gamma II platform (2011 Aveo). It's about 6 inches shorter than the Scion xB, which is it's main competitor. The Granite will be an inner-city urban-ute, a market that only Scion and Kia are in at the moment. It will be about the size of the HHR, inside and out and will appeal to young urbanites wanting to haul stuff from IKEA and Whole Foods to their uber hip condo downtown.
Or appeal to a lot of old 60 and over people like the Element and xB has do far. Talk about missed the target market and still getting away with it.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 PM

Neither the Orlando or Granite rock my boat. Chevy should maintain the Retro theme with at least one of their vehicles. The HHR with 49 Suburban style was cool but has had it's run. How about coming out with another SUV type retro modeled after the 55 Nomad. I think that would be awesome and appeal to young and old..but that's just me fantizing..
Old 01-08-2010, 06:57 PM

It all fairness to GM they have one model that is a neoclassical or retro vehicle. The new camaro has body lines taken from the old camaro, and its a damn sharp car. Also in my feeling the Buick Enclave has a classic feel with its stylish body lines. Having said that I would like to see more. Maybe make the new corvette like the stingray concept in the transformers movie or bring back the SSR but make it an actual truck and not a convertable hot rod.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rooney
Love it!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Or appeal to a lot of old 60 and over people like the Element and xB has do far. Talk about missed the target market and still getting away with it.
The older folks want vehicles that are easy to get in and out of and to maneuver so they are buying up whatever they can find in the marketplace that fills these needs. This according to my ol' Dad, aged 87 and still driving. He's owned nothing but mini-vans and small SUVs of various makes during the past 25 years. He likes my HHR!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM

i am all for the aveo rs that thing is cool
Old 01-08-2010, 11:50 PM

I personally don't care for the Darth Vader/Terminator look of the Granite, but the Orlando may have a place in my garage if I can get it in AWD and an LTZ upfit.

We looked at the Terrain and Equinox as a replacement for our Olds Bravada Platinum and frankly, would like to downsize even more than that since our kids now have their own cars and the rear seat is seldomly used anymore.

The sizing thing has already been proven with our ownership of the HHR. We love the size, but need (yes need; not merely want) a 4WD or AWD for winter in our area, otherwise we might not be able to get to our home in heavy snowstorms.

We're used to the programmable & heated seats as well as the other bells and whistles that the Bravada Platinum was equipped with, so I hope that an upscale option will be available.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 AM

The older folks want vehicles that are easy to get in and out of and to maneuver so they are buying up whatever they can find in the marketplace that fills these needs. This according to my ol' Dad, aged 87 and still driving. He's owned nothing but mini-vans and small SUVs of various makes during the past 25 years. He likes my HHR!
So true. My folks love my HHR for that very reason, and when I borrow their mini van to haul stuff, I lend them mine ....they never complain LOL. Easy to get in and out of (especially for my Dad, who has wonky hips and a bad back). To be honest, I like it for the same reason. My good buddy bought an 09 Malibu. Super nice car, but what a difference trying to get in and out of it compared to my HHR. Boxy and upright has its benefits.

The front of that Granite looks pretty sexy ....can't wait to see it
Old 01-09-2010, 11:27 AM

I understand this but the fact I am gettig at is Honda and Scion was targeting 20 year olds and were shocked with seniors not their intended market.

In other words the markting people blew it with the collage kids but had their butts saved by the Older folks who did latch on to these cars.

As for the retro thing it has passed. GM would be a day late and a dollar short if they invest too much into the older styling. We will continue to see some herritage styling cues but we will not see entire retro based designs.

The truth is there is as much C6 Vetter in the 2010 Camaro as there is 69 Camaro. Chevy knew the trend was moving back to a little more modern and wanted to make sure the car was still very modern with the folded and cut lines.

The new Alpha Camaro will be a little more Modern with Herritage cues only.

Kia Soul sent a signal that the little box if made stylish could sell to a wider group. Also GMC is trying to offer not just what Chevy offers and this would give them a chance to have a place in the small sport market. In other words this may have had been a Pontiac if they did not have to cut divisions.

Quick Reply: Is the Chevy Orlando the new HHR