The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Chevy will make only the Camaro SS for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 PM

Wait until this summer with the oil spill I'm sure So Cal will hit 5 bucks a gallon
Old 05-07-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
I understand that GM terminated its performance division, hence no new research on vehicles that don't have their own dedicated performance engineers (like Corvette) will be done. Why does it follow that the HHR SS had to be discontinued for 2011, one year sooner than the rest of the HHR lineup? After all, the vehicle already exists and it should not be a problem to keep manufacturing something already offered. All the research and production tooling has been completed. They just would keep doing something they already do. What am I missing here?

On an unrelated topic, what will replace the HHR now that the closest Orlando sales will be in Canada? I am a fan of the tall hatchback/station-wagon design (the non-trendy names compared to the awkward but marketing-correct "cross-over SUV") though not of the European-required 3rd row of seats. I previously owned a 1980s Toyota Tercel AWD wagon. Is the Cruze/Volt platform-based concept shown in China an indication of where things might go?
The Performance Division is still around but they are concentraited on Show cars and Racing cars.

The engineers that did all the production perfromance Car work are now intergrated into the car platfroms from the start.

So in other words instead of taking a pigs ear and making a silk purse out of it they are now working on the base cars and making them right with the performance parts on top of them.

So now we will get cars from the start that are set up right and they will yeild better upgraded performance suspension.

Why only have your best people on a few select cars when they can make all of them right?

GM is far from done with performance. They needed to get their house right with the cars that pay the bills and pay off goverment loan vs the halo performance cars that are not high profit at low volumes.

The Alpha platfrom is coming with RWD and they are working on a SS Cruze we have yet to see.

Twin Turbo V6 and more Turbo 4's are coming.

Note the work on the Buick Regal has yeilded a car for the masses that many who just samples it compare it to a Acura or Audi. This is the average Buick Regal not the GS. THis is what you will have to look forward too.

With the Orlando getting the Axe I suspect they will spring something on us soon and it will be a little more fun than another basic people mover.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
I will say that I do like that the 6 speed is standard on the Malibu. That 4 speed was dumb, because you didn't get as good fuel economy. I'm sure you'll be paying for the tranny, but still. It would be nice to get the basic model, and still get the good mpgs.

But what does it mean when they say you can't delete the rear seat? No more panels?
The 6 speed is made in Korea, I don't want any part of it!
Old 05-08-2010, 09:10 AM

The fact is the transmission is based on the larger 6T70/75, and will be produced at Ypsilanti, Michigan, as well as at an undisclosed Shanghai GM location. Since 2008, these transmissions have been produced by GM Daewoo at the Boryeong Transmission Plant in Boryeong, South Korea.
The larger six speed is built in Warren MI and the Manual tranny is built in Germany.

The auto companies are now global and parts will come to them world wide. Since most models will be sold world wide this will be a very common thing.

The Six speed rules for smoothness and durability over the Four speed.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:34 AM

Sounds like another year for the HHR and not the HHR SS..

Guess I should've gotten my HHR SS in January when I had the chance.

-Tim
Name:  HHRIIsmall.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  9.7 KB
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bjrec
The 6 speed is made in Korea, I don't want any part of it!
But you drive an HHR correct? Made in the USA?
Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by CrazyCarKid
Made in the USA?
I think it's made in North America.

Now hijack over. Everyone, back to the topic please.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:28 AM

According to autofieldguide.com, all Chevrolet HHRs are produced by General Motors in Mexico. A plant located in Ramos Arizpe, approximately 12km east of Saltillo, is the production center for the vehicle. Ramos Arizpe is a city in the state of Coahuila, Mexico.

Read more: Where is the chevy hhr built? | Answerbag http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1942664#ixzz0sXUZEUk3
Old 07-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Here is another great link for info on the HHR's origins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_HHR
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by centaur1129
Guess I should've gotten my HHR SS in January when I had the chance.

-Tim
Not sure if you are serious, but the SS is still widely available (usually discounted) at dealers. Our local dealer has a 5 speed with performance option (LSD and Brembo) that could be had for a good price no doubt. http://www.riovista.com/VehicleDetails/774302843

Quick Reply: Chevy will make only the Camaro SS for 2011