The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Chevyhhr.Net Wireless

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Banned

SIHHR says so, look at the 5th post down.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:33 AM

As log as there is no WEP. then It should work.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM

actually the new firmware does support WEP...

-WC
Old 11-28-2005, 09:39 PM

Yeah but when WEP is involved so would a password to be allowed access. Public places mostly do not use WEP. I think starbucks does.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by SIHHR
Yeah but when WEP is involved so would a password to be allowed access. Public places mostly do not use WEP. I think starbucks does.
I know at my public library they have a WIFI connection w/o WEP, BUT you still need a password to log on to the network. Supposedly to keep minors from surfin WEP is basically an encryption algorithim system, a security protocol designed and developed by the IEEE 802.11(b) standard to protect from eavesdropping, it really has nothing to do with using a password, it just encrypts data packets and monitors "attempted" modifications of data. As with most networks you need a password to log on, hence the problem with your home WiFi if you do not have some sort of security mechanism on your router(a lot of people do not have a password to gain access to their wireless network), thats how people cruise by and gain access to the internet and your network if you do not have a secured router. Now days most wireless routers come with some sort of software to help secure your network, but if you do not set them up proprerly, you are easy pickins! just my .02 worth

Fenris
Old 11-29-2005, 03:48 PM

interesting to note though is that if the Wi-Fi Point requires you to hit a website in order to gain access(if you've ever been to Panera Bread which has free Wi-Fi in most of their stores you'll know what I'm talking about) it won't work on the PSP....

-WC
Old 11-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by wheelsee
interesting to note though is that if the Wi-Fi Point requires you to hit a website in order to gain access(if you've ever been to Panera Bread which has free Wi-Fi in most of their stores you'll know what I'm talking about) it won't work on the PSP....

-WC
I am not familiar with the PSP, but you brought up an interesting point. Does the PSP have a browser? Or does it have to do with what kind of wirless LAN card or network adapter it uses. Maybe I will search that. It seems if you have to connect to a website you would need some sort of browser. I have a Panera near by, I will have to check and see if they are one of the Hot Spots, that would make doing homework so much better! Thanks WC, now I am curious about the PSP!

Ride On!
Fenris
Old 11-29-2005, 05:58 PM

Here is what I found at the PSP site for troubleshooting your WIFI connection.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PSP.as...lessinfra.html

Duh! I just read the original post!

I am really impressed with this units capabilities. I am not a gamer, but I can see why some of you get a kick out this device! Thats a powerful, diverse unit! *May have to adjust my x-mas list* Lady Fenrir would kill me if I got into gaming lol But, I like the PSP...it's cool! lol

Fenris
Old 11-29-2005, 06:34 PM

I bought it becasue I was flying around often untill recently. I came in handy so I can watch movies, download pictures to show people. Much shaper and bigger screen then an ipod. Plus I do enjoy playing sports video games.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:36 PM

if you go to Paneras Website it'll tell you if your location is Wi-Fi Enabled.....

BTW adding to it's uber-coolness...the PSP can now subscribe to RSS feeds and stream Audio to it...

also jonelz...take a look at http://www.plasticshore.com/logfile/...ite_psp_ready/ which is a tutorial on how to make sure the site is PSP friendly!

-wC

Quick Reply: Chevyhhr.Net Wireless