The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Cop Car of the Future

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Cop Car of the Future

all Cops deserve this !!

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loca...Of-Future.html
Old 11-10-2008, 02:52 PM

If you look on there site there is a lot more info. Looks like quite the vehicle. If they can get it into production at similar cost to current LE vehicles, I think it's a great idea!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Now that's a Police Car! A purpose-built police interceptor that's not based on an existing production passenger car.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
Now that's a Police Car! A purpose-built police interceptor that's not based on an existing production passenger car.
Which means it will be prohibitively expensive to repair accident damage. Police fleet operations is something I know a thing or two about

This bird will not fly with 90% of departments. Cops are typically slow to adopt change, and highly limited in budgetary expenditures. That 90% will stay with the proven offering from Ford, Chyrsler, and Chevrolet and they will be better off for it. Unless this upstart carbon Motors outfit can compete in acquisition cost and repair cost with the three domestic auto makers, which I doubt.

It does look cool, though, and I'm sure they mean well.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 PM

not a bad ride. just one more thing we will pay taxes on
Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM

http://www.carbonmotors.com/machine/specifications

Oh good Lord. The only engine option is diesel. That will never fly with PD's. Especially with the current price spread between reg unleaded and Diesel.

It is a clever design and I'm not anti-diesel (wife's car is a VW diesel, we love it), but making the powerplant diesel is not a good choice for the US market. Now in Europe the car I think may have possibilities, since diesel is huge over there.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM

18" rims. This is a cool dream car, but PD's go through tires like butter and having to replace 18's is not cost effective. Maybe they will option down for 16's.

I'm sorry, I can't help thinking from a fleet & gov't budget standpoint.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
18" rims. This is a cool dream car, but PD's go through tires like butter and having to replace 18's is not cost effective. Maybe they will option down for 16's.

I'm sorry, I can't help thinking from a fleet & gov't budget standpoint.
Hell must be freezing over, because I actually agree with LR on this turkey.

Purpose-built vehicles work fairly well over in Europe where the standards are a little looser and society is less litigious, but not here. All it would take is ONE fatality involving that car and the manufacturer would be sued out of existence.

Ford really should have stopped making or redesigned the Crown Vic PI long ago to address shortcomings in the design safety of that model. I'm really surprised that they haven't tried to use the new 500/Taurus as the new police interceptor, but I guess a full-frame vehicle seems tougher to law enforcement than a unit-body. Chevy has been selling a lot of Impala 9C1's in the wake of the gas crisis. More law enforcement agencies have woken up to the fact that a radio is faster than any car.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 AM

in my parents town they have a few dodge magnums as cruisers now, i think they look pretty good and sort of futuristic for a cop car, especially the way they painted them.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 AM

I've seen quite a few Dodge Chargers in the fleet of NH State Patrol cars now....I really dig the looks of them...are they a good replacement for the Crown Vic? Who knows, I'm just going on looks lol

Goose

Quick Reply: Cop Car of the Future