The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Credit Fraud #3

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Tom....

Glad it appears that it worked out for you.

I had a similar situation about 3 years ago. Only much more involved. But I wasn't involved any longer after the first contact by the authorities.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM

my wife had a sears card opened in her maiden name and then it was sent to her parents house... Oddly enough the person was actively using it, even returned something on it. Huge PITA none the less.

For those of you that write SEE ID on the back, put that first and then your signature. If a place really wanted to get picky with it they could refuse your card with just "see id" on the back since cards are NOT valid without a signature, and "see id" is NOT a signature... I used to work in retail and we always had to check.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 AM

It shows that most of the time it is not the fault of the person that is the owner of the card. The example that sweetmama mentioned is one of the extreme types and are easier to track. Most of you know or hear me traveling a lot for my main job, so i usally carry a couple of cards and always leave my debit cards at home.

Thiefs are exactly that thiefs, some are good hackers, some work at finding a number combination with number generator programs. Some can grab your ein number off your cell phone as you walk by.

I guess the thing to learn is use care, change pins, do not use name, b-days or easy to remember passwords. Develop a varied password that you learn and change it every couple of months.

Examples of a easy password is your son or daughters name if you have kids. A more secure type password for an example could be something like : k5Tdu85H

Anyhow, I wanted to bring some awareness to everyone and hope you all keep this in mind.

Remember it's the Thief working over time to get your info, make it difficult for them.

Do not post SSN, Drivers license or your (actual) complete birthday any where. And only medical records, Drivers license, Employer and Banks are the main locations that require your SSN. (I may have missed a couple)
Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 AM

birth dates

Originally Posted by TomsHHR
It shows that most of the time it is not the fault of the person that is the owner of the card. The example that sweetmama mentioned is one of the extreme types and are easier to track. Most of you know or hear me traveling a lot for my main job, so i usally carry a couple of cards and always leave my debit cards at home.

Thiefs are exactly that thiefs, some are good hackers, some work at finding a number combination with number generator programs. Some can grab your ein number off your cell phone as you walk by.

I guess the thing to learn is use care, change pins, do not use name, b-days or easy to remember passwords. Develop a varied password that you learn and change it every couple of months.

Examples of a easy password is your son or daughters name if you have kids. A more secure type password for an example could be something like : k5Tdu85H

Anyhow, I wanted to bring some awareness to everyone and hope you all keep this in mind.

Remember it's the Thief working over time to get your info, make it difficult for them.

Do not post SSN, Drivers license or your (actual) complete birthday any where. And only medical records, Drivers license, Employer and Banks are the main locations that require your SSN. (I may have missed a couple)
i don't understand why all the sites i join allways ask for your birthdate ? i feel as if this is not at all right. i never give my correct birthdate. like i need to be wished happy birthday- oh and here's a nice present for you-your name has been ruined as well as your savings.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Platinum Member

Tom.....

regarding this last paragraph......

If you check with the Federal act regarding the use of an SS number, it specifically states the number CANNOT be used for I.D. purposes. As a result, I fought Arizona law, in 1973 (when I first moved here), which required your SS number for a drivers license to be issued. I WON and as a result the State will issue a "license number" if requested. The application form still state, "SS Number" but no insistance is made to fill that field in.

I have refused to provide doctors and medical services access to my SS number, explaining the statement in the SS Act. Most have accomodated me. Those that have emphasized the need for the number, I have rejected as a provider and went elsewhere.

Employers and banks are self explanatory.....financial records for taxes (probably valid ).

But you want to hear something really dumb.....

Our government spends millions of dollars on I.D. theft campaigns. Telling people the very things you have outlined here. They have applied pressure on the healthcare industry to remove the SS numbers from the membership cards, replacing them with a numerical identifier, causing an additional operational expense. BUT the Medicare I.D. card still displays the SS number......amazing, is our government.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Yes, Snoopy I agree with you and some states still ask for the information. My reply is why do you need that namely the ssn.

I like to give my Military ID number.. It confuses them.

You can find more information about IDentity Thief at the site below.

http://www.ftc.gov/index.shtml
Old 01-03-2009, 07:12 PM

Yes, Snoopy I agree with you and some states still ask for the information. My reply is why do you need that namely the ssn.

I like to give my Military ID number.. It confuses them.

You can find more information about IDentity Thief at the site below.

http://www.ftc.gov/index.shtml
My military ID # became my SS # in 1968.. What military id # did you have?
Old 01-03-2009, 07:24 PM

Until 3 years or so ago at Western Michigan University your SS number was your student ID number. You had to write it at the top of every paper and test you took. All you needed was one dishonest TA, or any random person as you hand them down the aisle to take it... Glad they figured it out...eventually.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:23 AM

Nice try.... i will only say its 6 digits...