The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

DEC 8 2004....a day that will ALSO...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I'm pretty sure anyone who posted in this thread knows who John Lennon was. Now if you ask if I care about his death the answer would be hell no because I was never a fan of The Beatles or his Solo music. Dimebag is way more important than Lennon. I think that The Beatles as a group and the individual members are way over rated, aren't that talented, and are not as much of an influence on rock as everyone makes it seem. Especially not in comparison to other bands around the same time like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Cream, Blue Oyster Cult, or Jimi Hendrix. Their contributions to rock and metal music still live on to this day. When I listen to modern rock and metal I can still see the influences of the bands I mentioned and not one bit of The Beatles. Hell even old school bands people hate or don't care about like Venom have more of a long standing effect on rock and metal than The Beatles. Sorry Beatles fans that's just my opinion and my take on how they much they actually affected rock.
AMEN...

even tho ozzy said he wanted to be like john lennon, and hence formed black sabbath....i personally never cared for the beatles, maybe a couple of songs(about 3 that i do like), and maybe about 2 of lennons solo songs, but thats about it... who really cares...

yea dimebag was way more influential in music, even tho he got his influence from old thrash metal, which then goes back to them classic metal artists

yes Deb i do know when lenon was killed, and i do know when pearl harbor day is, but i wasnt refering to those at all

LONG LIVE THE METAL
Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM

First off, I have never heard of this guy, Dimebag, but I have heard of Pantera, but don't ask me to name any of their songs, because I can't. I was raised on Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, and so on. I can't stand the Beatles, and think they are over rated in their influence also. I'm a much bigger Elvis fan, and think he inspired much more than the Beatles ever could.

I have to say I thought this thread was a comparison to Pearl Harbor also, and while I was not offended, I thought it was a bit wrong to compare the two in the title. Saying the 8th will also live in infamy, to me is a comparison. Again, not offended personally, but I can see where some may take it the wrong way.

Keep in mind this opinion is coming from a person who doesn't listen to metal. At least not the kind being discussed here. I did listen to Ozzy, Van Halen, Poison, Metallica, and some others in the 80s, but that's about it. As far as Dimebag goes, my first reaction was, who?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
yea dimebag was way more influential in music, even tho he got his influence from old thrash metal, which then goes back to them classic metal artists
Dime more influential than John Lennon?

Pantera: 6,000,000 records sold
Beatles: 1,010,000,000 records sold
Old 12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Dime more influential than John Lennon?

Pantera: 6,000,000 records sold
Beatles: 1,010,000,000 records sold
The Beatles formed like 100 million years ago along with the dinosaurs so they've had a lot more time to sell records. You also need to include Rebel Meets Rebel and Damageplan's record sales. Besides it's not about sales. I just don't see The Beatles influence in metal and rock. You occasionally get a douche bag like Curt Cobain who sites The Beatles as an influence but it shows nowhere in their sound. It's hard to find a modern rock/metal guitarist that wasn't touched or influenced by Dimebag in some form. Who the hell do you know that actually plays guitar like anyone in The Beatles or was actually influenced by their playing? Or for that mater who plays with their guitar above their waistline practically up on their chest like they did? Some of The Beatles songs aren't even music but more like drug induced noise. Not to mention when you buy a Beatles album you’re funding a weird fruity mentally stunted pedophile.

Last edited by captain howdy; 12-10-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:13 PM

lmao @ this fool saying the beatles sold 1 billion records

actuallity is beatles sold about 450 mil
elvis about the same
and micheal jackson about 380 mil

hell id even venture to say MJ was more influential by himself and with the jackson 5 then the beatles were...

john lennon please...the beatles i think honestly were just in the right place at the right time when they made thier "music" thats about it...
lil richard and elvis started this stuff...i think they just rode the coattails...
Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Not meaning to slam Elvis (Elvis is GREAT!!), but he got his start by covering black artists that radio stations wouldn't play, including gospel music. His main influence was getting already recorded music into the main stream and doing it in a style that hadn't been done by a white artist before.

You are right in saying Little Richard. Him, Chuck Berry and other blues, gospel, and jazz artists are who truly deserve ALL the credit!!

LONG LIVE ROCK & ROLL!
Old 12-10-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
Not meaning to slam Elvis (Elvis is GREAT!!), but he got his start by covering black artists that radio stations wouldn't play, including gospel music. His main influence was getting already recorded music into the main stream and doing it in a style that hadn't been done by a white artist before.

You are right in saying Little Richard. Him, Chuck Berry and other blues, gospel, and jazz artists are who truly deserve ALL the credit!!

LONG LIVE ROCK & ROLL!
Thank you for bringing that up so I didn't have to
Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EL_REY
lmao @ this fool saying the beatles sold 1 billion records

actuallity is beatles sold about 450 mil
elvis about the same
and micheal jackson about 380 mil

hell id even venture to say MJ was more influential by himself and with the jackson 5 then the beatles were...

john lennon please...the beatles i think honestly were just in the right place at the right time when they made thier "music" thats about it...
lil richard and elvis started this stuff...i think they just rode the coattails...
The Beatles sold around 450 million in the USA. Worldwide, according to EMI and Guiness, is over a billion as I quoted before. That is significantly higher than anything Pantera and Damageplan will ever reach in terms of record sales.

If there were no Robert Johnson, there wouldn't have been a Chuck Berry, Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or PANTERA.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
If there were no Robert Johnson, there wouldn't have been a Chuck Berry, Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, or PANTERA.
And if it weren't for the Devil Robert Johnson wouldn't be able to play or sing. So once again rock and roll and metal all lead back to Satan.