The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Which greeting do you prefer?
Merry Christmas
91.58%
Happy Holiday
8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

December 25th

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
neither option in the poll:
just thought i would ask............
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Founding Member

Merry Christmas
Old 12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Founding Member

Grew up Southern Baptist, converted to Catholic at 38 (12 weeks of RCIA), currently can no longer tolerate being a part of organized religion (any faith). I love Christmas time, and would duel with anyone who tried to take it away from me. Really don't care that we allowed it to become a commercialized holiday for the retailers. Nothing I can do to change that and that's not my Christmas spirit.

It's what's in your heart and not what anyone else believes or wants you to believe.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Grew up Southern Baptist, converted to Catholic at 38 (12 weeks of RCIA), currently can no longer tolerate being a part of organized religion (any faith). I love Christmas time, and would duel with anyone who tried to take it away from me. Really don't care that we allowed it to become a commercialized holiday for the retailers. Nothing I can do to change that and that's not my Christmas spirit.

It's what's in your heart and not what anyone else believes or wants you to believe.

Merry Christmas!
12 weeks of RCIA, so that's whats wrong with you

I went the opposite way, I was baptized Catholic and 11 years ago married the daughter of a Southern Baptist preacher.... I have now gone through 11 years of "retraining"

Merry Christmas to all of you (weather you like it or not)
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by esmarkey
12 weeks of RCIA, so that's whats wrong with you Merry Christmas to all of you (weather you like it or not)
Every Monday night (football season). That may have been my biggest test in life.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-17-2008, 11:45 AM

When people say happy holidays to me, I reply with Merry Christmas.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by KYRVNUT
Maybe my Merry Christmas offended him?
Isn't that one of the main reasons most people (companies) don't say Merry Christmas? They might offend someone? Has anyone considered how many people are offended when someone says Happy Holidays? I for one am offended if someone says Happy Holidays to me.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Isn't that one of the main reasons most people (companies) don't say Merry Christmas? They might offend someone? Has anyone considered how many people are offended when someone says Happy Holidays? I for one am offended if someone says Happy Holidays to me.
Me too, and that just isn't right. Organizations forcing their employees to say "happy holidays" have actually turned that phrase into a dirty word when it didn't used to be. So personally, I say Merry Christmas and try not to worry about the "H.H." (Unless someone trys to force me to, then I tell them if they don't like Christmas, they can go to work on December 25th)

And just to be the dik I usually am, I greet folks with "happy holiday" on MLK day, Columbus day, Labor day...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff®
And just to be the dik I usually am, I greet folks with "happy holiday" on MLK day, Columbus day, Labor day...
I like that, sounds like a grass roots movement; Happy Holiday on MLK day.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 PM

From what I have seen, most people who say H.H. either forced by their company, or not wanting to say the M.C. and offend someone, actually want to say Merry Christmas, they just are to nervous they might offend someone.

I once said in a school paper about political correctness that "...sometimes people need to be offended..." got 10 extra credit points for that phrase alone and haven't stopped believing it yet!

Quick Reply: December 25th