The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Which greeting do you prefer?
Merry Christmas
91.58%
Happy Holiday
8.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

December 25th

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 PM

it really depends on what you are trying to wish someone.

Are you actually telling them to have a merry christmas or are you trying to lump christmas, and new years and whatever else together and wanting them to just have a large grouped together happy holidays?

i work for lawyers and if you think they'll say christmas you are so wrong. we barely even get to use the happy holidays, its more of a season's greetings. They're trying not too offend anyone so they can keep the cash flow going.

But, on the other side, the people that are so tied to their Merry Christmas, what if someone says Happy Hanukah to you? Do you respond back with Merry Christmas, because that would just be rude and offensive to them in particular. I know Merry Christmas was the norm, and it used to be the main thing, but on the other hand it's stupid when people say it now just as a retaliation for people that don't want to say it... Respect others beliefs.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM
jx3

Originally Posted by twistrman
But, on the other side, the people that are so tied to their Merry Christmas, what if someone says Happy Hanukah to you? Do you respond back with Merry Christmas,
But vice versa

Originally Posted by twistrman
Respect others beliefs.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:57 PM

Happy "Time off of Work"
Old 12-17-2008, 02:47 PM

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
I once said in a school paper about political correctness that "...sometimes people need to be offended..." got 10 extra credit points for that phrase alone and haven't stopped believing it yet!
I would say by your avatar, you've taken that philosophy to heart.
My hat's off to ya! Name:  11779-1.gif
Views: 21
Size:  57.7 KB
Old 12-18-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy SS
Isn't that one of the main reasons most people (companies) don't say Merry Christmas? They might offend someone? Has anyone considered how many people are offended when someone says Happy Holidays? I for one am offended if someone says Happy Holidays to me.
Why would you ever be offended by someone saying Happy Holidays?

It's understandable to be offended if someone in inflicting their beliefs upon you (but ridiculous around the holidays, since usually that is not someone's intentions at all). Christmas is in fact a holiday, so is New years, and Hanukah, and Kwanzaa, and anything else you might have belief in. Saying Happy Holidays is usually simply that, wishing that you have a happy "holiday". Whichever one you would like to celebrate.

Back to the point i made earlier, that getting offended, angry, or defensive when someone wishes you a happy Holiday is the exact opposite of what you should be doing at this time of the year. If a Jewish person says Happy holidays to you (trying to respect yours and their own beliefs, most likely not knowing what religion you are), and you respond by yelling Merry Christmas back at them. Well, that is the opposite of what this season is all about.

People said Happy Holidays before the age of political correctness set in. Yes, more people say it because of that, but just because people don't like to offend their friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. doesn't mean that they are trying to offend you in return.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:21 AM

Happy Winter Solstice - the ORIGINAL reason for the season ;-)

Or as "The Fonz" used to say, "Have a Cool Yule"
Old 12-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Biff
Happy Winter Solstice - the ORIGINAL reason for the season ;-)
Met up with our freelancer from New York when I was in Boston a few days ago and he was saying how they were having a winter solstice party. Trying to figure out some good drinks for it and where he could get an ingredient for turtle soup...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
What, no Joyeux Noël?
Old 10-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Merry christmas.

Quick Reply: December 25th