The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

I'm shouldn't even dignify the close minded igonance of the above statement with a long winded reply on the subject but............ All I can say is read my above post. I coud go a lot deeper with this whole subject but I'm not even going to go there. I have one question though. What do you mean by Ozzy tried to recruit your son? That is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. Here is an example of a Black Sabbath song from 1971 you might find interesting:

After Forever

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
that God is the only way to love.

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun.

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down now you can't retrieve.

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate.
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes - I think it's too late.

Where is the Satanic or suicide message? That seems like a pretty Christian song to me. Truely study the lyrics before basing your beliefs off of an image.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:15 PM

I've been watching and reading this thread without comment, but after seeing Holmes' last couple of posts, I'll have to agree with him. I am a volunteer in our youth department. I work with a group af dedicated Christian teens on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays. I also work with the not so dedicated on Wednesday nights. Oh, and let me say before I go much further, a few years ago I would have agreed with CH about music not being the bad influence people thought it was. I grew up with Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, AC-DC, KISS, and a bunch of others. I loved the music, but looking back, it did influence me. I still believe people have a right to listen to whatever they want, but if my kids come in with a CD that's questionable, we talk about it. I don't believe in censorship at all. That being said, I have dealt with several teens that have been influenced by today's lyrice to do some stupid things. I also deal with the cutters like Holmes was talking about. It's not a pleasant sight. I don't advocate stopping the bands from selling, or from people buying the music, but you should think about those lyrics before you let them get in your head. Is this the kind of lifestyle you really want to lead? If it is, you have every right to do so, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. As for me, and a lot of the teens I work with, we have chosen a different life that leads to a lot more satisfaction. You've never known true satisfaction until you've led a former drug addict, alcoholic, prostitute, or unhappy person from a life of misery to a new life of passion for Christ. I know it sounds as if I'm preaching, but I can't apologize for letting you know my passion for what I do.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by James06
You've never known true satisfaction until you've led a former drug addict, alcoholic, prostitute, or unhappy person from a life of misery to a new life of passion for Christ.
Or never truely know what it's like until you've been one. Christ, the church, and an overly Christian parent is part of what lead to my problems and actions. I may have listened to certain types of music because I could associate with it or because it discussed certain issues and feeling that were close to me but never once did it influence my actions. It's the other way around. Your actions can decide your music but your music can't decide your actions.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Founding Member

There are all sorts of other things other than music that lead people down the wrong path in life.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:37 PM

As long as the mods are going to leave this thread open I have to say something.

My name is Mike and I am a grateful recovering addict.

I've been clean for almost five years now.

When growing up I listened to a lot of the "bad" music. Yes it influenced me, it did not ruin my life.

Drugs ruined my life.

Music did not make me abuse alcohol, I made that decision.
Music did not put a crack pipe in my mouth, I made that decision.
Music did not make me smoke a joint or do a bong hit, I made those decisions.
Music didn't make me snort coke, I made that decision.

My point is that music, or anything else for that matter CAN NOT MAKE us do anything. It can influence us, but the final decision is our own. Yes my parents were good parents for the most part. Could they have done things differently, yes. Would it have made a difference, maybe, maybe not.

Just like bad apples can come from a good tree, a good parent does not guarantee a good life full of the right decisions for a child/young adult.

I am very active in Narcotics anonymous and have seen first hand people who have ruined their own lives in spite of good homes, parents and environments.

I mean no offense but to think that music alone is responsible for anyones actions is naive.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Or never truely know what it's like until you've been one. Christ, the church, and an overly Christian parent is part of what lead to my problems and actions.
CH, I was what I listed, except for the prostitue part. I really do respect your opinion, and I also had parents and a church at the time that led me totally down a path I shouldn't have been on. But I was brought back just in time. That's why I feel I can discuss these issues. Both my grandfathers were alcoholics, as well as uncles on both sides. I almost became one myself. You can see me as probably a strange Christian now, because I don't really believe having a drink is a sin for most people. It probably would be for me, both because of my example to 125 teenagers on a weekly basis, as well as what it could do for me. As I said, I got out of the lifestyle just in time. I could just as easily be dead, in prison, or in a gutter somewhere today, rather that driving my HHR. I'll try not to preach too much on this forum, but this is a passionate belief of mine. The drama group I work with on Monday nights uses music (both secular and Christian) to bring a message. We do Human Videos, which are much like the Music Videos on MTV except done live instead of on TV, to bring different messages to other teens and adults. We just got back from a 10 day trip to Mission, South Dakota to reach the reservations there. I didn't get to go due to work, but we are always doing stufff like that. One big trip per year, and one local (within 150 miles) per month. Being involved with teens who have a passion for this increases my passion. I just wanted to let you see kind of where I'm coming from. THanks for listening.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:48 PM
Founding Member

ok, you guys are doing fine here. Opinions being stated for the most part are tastefully stated.

I agree with GDZHHR statements. I did bad things because of my own doing and I also got away from those terrible things of my own doing.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:50 PM

The videos, music, television and movies influences peoples actions everyday. That is why it is a a billion dollar industry. Most peoples actions are influinced by their peers, their surroundings, their family by bringing either in a positive influence or a negative one. Ch I am sorry that the influence of your Christian parents, as you said; caused so many problems for you. I have said it before, I pray for you often and somewhere in that tough and hard shell that you have covering you there is a kind and gentle Anthony.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Founding Member

What a great end to a heated exchange of ideas.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM

Mike, I agree totally with what you just said. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I just think Holmes has as much right to discuss things on here as anyone else, and I can understand his viewpoint since I am a Christian also. I have never told my kids they can't listen to any certain music, they just don't listen to it when I'm around, if I don't like it. I like all types, except Rap. I haven't heard any of that I like, be it Christian or otherwise. I do know that I've been told by students that certain lyrics have had an influence on their decisions, but it is just an influence. It didn't make them do anything. And I also agree that the parents aren't always at fault for their child's bad decisions. Mine certainly weren't. In fact, Mom prayed for me every day to change my life back to the right path, but she couldn't do it for me, as much as she wanted to.

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?