The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM

First , I hope no one locks this thread . This is a great discussion. We ;ive in a country with freedom to do many things no matter how destructive they may be to us. aLmost everything is harmful in excess. What has a negative effect on you may not have the same effect on me. This type of music probably is not noticeably harmful to most people , but even if it is harmful to 1 per cent , that is alot of people. Unfortunately our country is getting more and more liberal in all aspects of our society , and that is leading to the slow destruction of America. Even God gives us free will to do what we want to do. But, I and many other Christians feel that there will be a time that you will have to answer for your decisions in life. . I love music , Slayer and bands like them are not my type of music, but given the fredom we have ,Captain can listen to and discuss anything he wants and if I dont like it I can leave the thread. I wasnt trying to start a war I was just tying to get a lively discussion going , basically between Cap and myself.
PEACE !
jim
Old 08-20-2006, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by James06
Mike, I agree totally with what you just said. I did not mean to imply otherwise. I just think Holmes has as much right to discuss things on here as anyone else, and I can understand his viewpoint since I am a Christian also. I have never told my kids they can't listen to any certain music, they just don't listen to it when I'm around, if I don't like it. I like all types, except Rap. I haven't heard any of that I like, be it Christian or otherwise. I do know that I've been told by students that certain lyrics have had an influence on their decisions, but it is just an influence. It didn't make them do anything. And I also agree that the parents aren't always at fault for their child's bad decisions. Mine certainly weren't. In fact, Mom prayed for me every day to change my life back to the right path, but she couldn't do it for me, as much as she wanted to.
Thanks James that was very well put. I now listen to christian music almost exclusively. I can even suggest my favorite rap acts, T-Bone and KJ-52.

But as I stated in an ealier post, CH has the right to like/love ANY music he likes. He started this thread for others who feel the same way.

By jumping in like some of us have is no different than people jumping on those who wanted to do something here with a christian-theme.

If we don't like it, and we can tell by a thread's title, then don't open it. If you do and then post on it, which is our right, it is only to cause problems regardless of our motives.

I now get off of my soapbox and enjoy my dinner.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:05 PM

Mike and James said it perfectly. Well stated guys ! Ignore my previous rambling post and read what they wrote !
Old 08-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Christ Illusion came out on Tuesday! Did anyone else pick it up? Slayer is one of my all time favorite bands and this is one of their best CDs! It marks the return of Dave Lombardo to the band also. It is way better than their last CD God Hates Us All, not that God Hates Us All was a bad CD. Pick it up and rejoice!
To get this thread back to where it started!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
To get this thread back to where it started!
AMEN Brother Mike!
Old 08-20-2006, 09:07 PM

Mike, I agree. Except instead of dinner, I'm signing off to go to bed. It's 10:00 here in the east, and I have to up at 6:00. See you all next time, and even though we disagree sometimes, at least we've all got the right to have and express our opinions in our country.
Old 08-20-2006, 09:19 PM

And Now . Back To Our Previously Scheduled Program !

Slayer !
Old 08-20-2006, 11:13 PM

I never heard of them and probally never will.
Not into the heavy stuff.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by GDZHHR
As long as the mods are going to leave this thread open I have to say something.

My name is Mike and I am a grateful recovering addict.

I've been clean for almost five years now.

When growing up I listened to a lot of the "bad" music. Yes it influenced me, it did not ruin my life.

Drugs ruined my life.

Music did not make me abuse alcohol, I made that decision.
Music did not put a crack pipe in my mouth, I made that decision.
Music did not make me smoke a joint or do a bong hit, I made those decisions.
Music didn't make me snort coke, I made that decision.

My point is that music, or anything else for that matter CAN NOT MAKE us do anything. It can influence us, but the final decision is our own. Yes my parents were good parents for the most part. Could they have done things differently, yes. Would it have made a difference, maybe, maybe not.

Just like bad apples can come from a good tree, a good parent does not guarantee a good life full of the right decisions for a child/young adult.

I am very active in Narcotics anonymous and have seen first hand people who have ruined their own lives in spite of good homes, parents and environments.

I mean no offense but to think that music alone is responsible for anyones actions is naive.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Holmes Hot Ride
The videos, music, television and movies influences peoples actions everyday. That is why it is a a billion dollar industry. Most peoples actions are influinced by their peers, their surroundings, their family by bringing either in a positive influence or a negative one. Ch I am sorry that the influence of your Christian parents, as you said; caused so many problems for you. I have said it before, I pray for you often and somewhere in that tough and hard shell that you have covering you there is a kind and gentle Anthony.

i wonder why people arent offing themselves or others in RECORD numbers, esp. when there are movies like saw, saw 2, that one with that guy kane from WWF, hostel, and the other crap "pg-13" horror movies...
billion $$ industry, yes its called "entertainment"....

youre absolutely correct about peer/parent influences. thats why your children need to be monitored, but i realize you cant do that 24/7, no one can; but a parent needs to talk to kids, be a role model no matter what, make time, if not, tv/friends/music become thier guardians, and if you see something that they shouldnt be listening to or watching, CHANGE IT...remeber YOURE the PARENT not THEM!!!

i also grew up catholic and even went to a catholic school for a while, all while listening to the most heaviest metal of the time(mid 80s early 90s), and i turned out OK; college grad. and now a high school teacher. Now i did hang with the wrong crowd, as well as the good crowd, but i guess as one of the other posts stated, its YOUR OWN choice to do what you do, not cuz music or a movie made you do something. You have to use some of that grey matter u were born with.

and with so many posts here, if you were the one whose son died, im sorry for your loss, but its not the fault of the music. there had to be many other factors that led to your loss.

some songs were listed lyrically...now heres one from a nice thrash band called Sacred Reich; song is called "Who's to Blame" off thier album the american Way

6. Who's To Blame

Jonny can you hear me turn that music down
You're making too much noise I mean it do it now
all that stuff is evil Ozzy, Judas Priest
there's backwards messages in that stuff that leads you to the beast
Jonny don't you hear me open up that door I've been calling you for hours
I won't say it anymore just wait until your dad gets home and sees what
you have done
kicked out of school you've got no job you're a useless delinquent bum
oh my god it's Jonny hanging by his neck
all those metal albums have led him to his death

Now it's time for parents to open ears and listen maybe it's too late
to see what you've been missing
music is no cause of death it's you that suffocates
if you had opened your eyes and ears you'd see just who's to blame
Who's to be responsible for a life that's gone off track
who's the one who must be there to see it gets put back
where were you to hear the cries of a person in need
were you there to see the signs or were you too busy
Now it's time for parents to open ears and listen maybe it's too late to see
what you've been missing music is no cause of death it's you that
suffocates if you had opened your eyes and ears you'd see just who's to
blame

Who's to be responsible for a life that's gone off track
who's the one who must be there to see it gets put back
where were you to hear the cries of a person in need
were you there to see the signs or were you too busy
Who's the cause, who's the blame for a life that's not worth living is it
parents, family who take without giving
so next time that you close your eyes and choose to shift the blame remember you can save a life
so really who's to blame?!

ps : keeping with the slayer theme....have any JAGERMIESTER tour dates been set yet? since they usually headline the tour

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?