The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Just got it today and have listened to it twice and gotta say I really like it. I do not listen to the hard stuff as much as I used to but when you just want to crank it up and snap the old neck around nothing beats good SLAYER
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM

I must be old. I have no recollection of ever hearing Slayer. Were they a "Hair band", or more like Iron Maiden, or what....? I'm clueless. I'm old, I like Slade

For "new" bands I like Govt Mule, and have heard some things from Korn that were cool.

Dunno, I'm into Nanci Griffith, Michael Hedges, Joghn Gorka, Pierre Bensuasan, and other acoustic acts. Still I like to pound the bass with Kansas and other oldies at times.
I do like lots of different music. Slayer just eludes me at the moment. Any songs I may have heard ?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Harpozep
I must be old. I have no recollection of ever hearing Slayer. Were they a "Hair band", or more like Iron Maiden, or what....?
If I had to try and sum up what type of music Slayer is I would say really heavy deep evil speed metal. They are definitely not a hair band and way heavier than Maiden.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
If I had to try and sum up what type of music Slayer is I would say really heavy deep evil speed metal. They are definitely not a hair band and way heavier than Maiden.
Thanks. That's likely why I hadn't heard them. I liked metal, but never went the speed metal route. I thought metal was doing fine until Randy Rhodes died.
Then I went Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright, The Roches, Steeley Span, and never went back to metal. I did see a G3 tour a few years back and see Jeff Beck whenever he tours. I do bring my earplugs though
Old 08-19-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Thanks. That's likely why I hadn't heard them. I liked metal, but never went the speed metal route. I thought metal was doing fine until Randy Rhodes died.
Then I went Richard Thompson, Loudon Wainwright, The Roches, Steeley Span, and never went back to metal. I did see a G3 tour a few years back and see Jeff Beck whenever he tours. I do bring my earplugs though
So basically , you grew up and decided you would rather listen to something with substance and artists with talent !!
Old 08-19-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DYLANSHHR
So basically , you grew up and decided you would rather listen to something with substance and artists with talent !!
Mind you Slayer has been making music for almost 30 years now. How many of those other artists have lasted that long? I'd say you have to be pretty damn talented to achieve that. As far as substance you have no idea! Don't let perceptions of a band you've never listened to blind you. They are very talented song writers with some very deep and powerful messages. They always get a bad wrap of being Satanic but Kerry King I think sums it up best for the band, those people and "dumb". He has stated he does not believe in God, so he does not believe in Satan, but he writes about Satanic subjects because he says it is more fun to sing about Satan than God. He actually dislikes all organized religion (Christianity and Satanism included) and describes it as a "crutch" for people who are "too weak to get through life on their own". Not trying to turn this into a God/Satan debate but just quoting the man and clearing up that they are NOT Satanic!

Last edited by captain howdy; 08-19-2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:45 PM

Well let's see.............I still listen to the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Crosby, Stills, and Nash........The Who. There's plenty of older guys still playing great stuff.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by DYLANSHHR
\

Something like that, though each to their own as I say

I did recently sell my hundred watt Marshal and keep my VHT Bulldog amp. Also for the first time in my adult life I am Gibsonless, having sold the Howard Robert Fusion and the last of my Les Pauls
After twenty years of looking I did find a Fender '62 Strat reissue that I dearly love and had a G&L made with a wide neck , humbuckers and a single coil/phase switch put in. Still, I have not plugged in an electric guitar in a year or two.
I've been more into acoustic guitar since the mid eighties, hence my ignorance of so many newer bands. I'd rather see Tommy Emmanual than go to an arena concert of any type. I once did the kid-in-their-twenties-thing and stayed up all night in front of a ticke office to get Rush tickets
Our lead singer sounded like Getty Lee so we just hadda see them

But as I said, each to their own. A guy who works for me loved Nirvanna 'till old Kurt did himself in. This so turned of my friend, that he has listened only to electronic dance music since then

I try new bands when the come on Conan, Jay, or Dave, since I'm up processing photos and writing in these forums at that time of day. Most of the acts on these late night shows say nothing, and do nothing for me.
I'm sure the Slayer band is too heavy for Jay!
Hmm, I did see Rob Zombie on one of the show though........
I know him because I sell his comics and DVDs. I met Glen Danzig at a comic con too since I sold a lot of his comics. He was cool, but I don't much care for his music.
Anyway, I'm rambling. Got some more pictures to process for my sister in law.
Later.........

Oh yeah I saw Dylan in '97 he just tours and tours.....like the Eveready bunny
Old 08-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Firewatcher
Well let's see.............I still listen to the Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Crosby, Stills, and Nash........The Who. There's plenty of older guys still playing great stuff.
I totally agree 100%! And then there are some artists that you wish would go away! But by no means is Slayer shallow or talentless. They are musical legends that will live on long after their time. Unlike some of the above listed artists that I've never even heard of.
Old 08-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

This thread isn't about how many artist have been around for a long time nor is it about if you think they are talentless. It is about one of the greatest bands of all time, the people who love and understand them, their new CD, and if you bought it. How many people jumping in now own the new Slayer album or for that matter have ever even listened to Slayer?

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get the new Slayer album?