The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Did anyone else get a strange DVD in your mailbox today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:13 AM

It's amazing how much money they must have spent to send this many DVDs out in the mail to the 28 million homes.

Apparently they really want to get their point across to the US.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
It's amazing how much money they must have spent to send this many DVDs out in the mail to the 28 million homes.

Apparently they really want to get their point across to the US.
But what's the real purpose of the video though? My first thought was that I really don't think it's an 'America is evil, join us' as much as it is a 'Look how much this group has it out for Americans'.

Coming from an outside demographic (Canadian). My thought was that it's purpose was more to build animosity towards that nation, not make you question your own.

Just my opinion from an outside POV.

Joe
Old 09-26-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by CrashMan82
But what's the real purpose of the video though? My first thought was that I really don't think it's an 'America is evil, join us' as much as it is a 'Look how much this group has it out for Americans'.

Coming from an outside demographic (Canadian). My thought was that it's purpose was more to build animosity towards that nation, not make you question your own.

Just my opinion from an outside POV.

Joe
It actually is a 'Look how much this group has it out for Americans'. You are correct to say the purpose of the DVD appears to be building animosity towards that group of terrorists.

But when I first received it (prior to watching it) I was unsure what it was.

By the way, Joe... did you get a copy sent to you in Canada?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 AM

I Watched this on youtube last night and this was disturbing & frightening. Especially when they start pointing out the parallels between and Nazi Germany & Radical Islam. Not an advocate of drivebyes but I was hoping some one would of rolled by and shot up the group up in NYC stepping & ripping up our flag...
Old 09-26-2008, 11:33 AM

It actually is a 'Look how much this group has it out for Americans'. You are correct to say the purpose of the DVD appears to be building animosity towards that group of terrorists.

But when I first received it (prior to watching it) I was unsure what it was.

By the way, Joe... did you get a copy sent to you in Canada?
Ok, I was just curious as to how it was being perceived there, where my first impression of it was more of a 'build strength from within'... strengthen homeland security... etc.

No I didn't get a copy here... I don't think it would be worth their investment. We rednecks-to-the-north would likely put it out with the Earl Scheib and discount meat flyers without a second thought...

On the cost thing... it's not like it costs $19.99 for each of those copies for them to send out... in a production run you could get them pressed, boxed and wrapped for $1/piece if not less. The cost in a retail movie is all in licensing, production, royalties, distribution etc. Still... to send them out to aparently millions of people is a big investment.

J
Old 09-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Ok, I was just curious as to how it was being perceived there, where my first impression of it was more of a 'build strength from within'... strengthen homeland security... etc.

No I didn't get a copy here... I don't think it would be worth their investment. We rednecks-to-the-north would likely put it out with the Earl Scheib and discount meat flyers without a second thought...

On the cost thing... it's not like it costs $19.99 for each of those copies for them to send out... in a production run you could get them pressed, boxed and wrapped for $1/piece if not less. The cost in a retail movie is all in licensing, production, royalties, distribution etc. Still... to send them out to aparently millions of people is a big investment.

J
Yep... still $28,000,000.00 if each only cost $1
Old 09-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Yep... still $28,000,000.00 if each only cost $1

Oh for sure. But really... $28mill is a drop in the bucket for a Presedential campaign....
Old 09-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Oh for sure. But really... $28mill is a drop in the bucket for a Presedential campaign....
My understanding, it was being paid for, released and distributed by The Clarion Fund out of New York, New York.

From their website:

CLARION FUND, created in November 2006, is a non-profit, non-partisan organization whose mission is to educate Americans about issues of national security.

Our primary focus is on the most urgent threat of radical Islam. By utilizing the following three mediums, Clarion Fund is helping Americans understand that the mainstream media is not adequately conveying the reality of radical Islam:

• Documentary Film Production and Distribution

• Online Education

• College Outreach

Clarion Fund, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization. We are independent and do
not accept funding from the U.S. Government, political institutions, or
foreign organizations.

www.clarionfund.org
Old 09-26-2008, 01:10 PM

I just ment it in terms of real world dollars today... didn't mean to infer anything. $28 mill isn't that much any more...

I had already looked at clarion's wikipedia page... the origin of their funding is unknown...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

I just ment it in terms of real world dollars today... didn't mean to infer anything. $28 mill isn't that much any more...

I had already looked at clarion's wikipedia page... the origin of their funding is unknown...

It's all relative.....$28 million is a lot of money TO ME. It is, in fact, more than anybody on this forum will earn in their LIFETIME. However, in todays political arena, $28 mil MAY be a drop in the bucket for advertising.

If you want SOME idea who MAY fund and manage the Clarion Fund, do a search on some of the people that are mentioned in the Wikipedia page regarding the Obsession, DVD.

This may help A LITTLE......

http://www.antiwar.com/ips/gharib.php?articleid=13503

Quick Reply: Did anyone else get a strange DVD in your mailbox today?