The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Digital SLR camera help....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:56 PM

Arrow Digital SLR camera help....

I am getting a Digital SLR camera for christmas (from parents) and i am not sure which camera to go with. I am to go purchase it with them this saturday nov 22.

I am wanting to getting a Nikon, just not sure if i should go with a d40 or d80 really. would like to get the 18-55VR , 70-300VR lenses if possible with the nikon.

Can anyone give me outside input on expeirence with these or other DSLR's ..

Thank you,
Paul
Old 11-21-2008, 01:31 AM

I would go with either nikon or canon according to your personal preference. The in-lens stabilizers work better than the in-camera (Sony).
The D40,D60 and D80 are all great cameras. Go with the one that fits your budget and level of skill. The D40 has more appropriate features for someone with less photographic experience. A friend has the D40x and says you just cant take a bad picture with it.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:32 AM

I've got a d70, but for the zoom lens I have a regular lens vice a DX, cost was much less.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 AM

Anything but Canon. Sorry, I have a lifetime stick up myass about their products.

Never had a Nikon. Personally, I go for Sony everytime and I got my eyes on an alpha-300. Sony is always great quality and their service is outstanding. I got my son their entry level DC last year and he dropped it and the lens telescope thing bent and jammed. I sent it in and got it back within a week no questions asked. Sony NA service is in TX BTW.

I bought Sony's first HDV camcorder back in '03-'04? cost $3200 still excellent.

I bought the first consumer DSLR in '00 and still have it. It's an Olympus. Their products seem to hold up pretty good too.

Good luck!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by halfpanel08
I am getting a Digital SLR camera for christmas (from parents) and i am not sure which camera to go with. I am to go purchase it with them this saturday nov 22.
Shhh...there may be some here that still believe in Santa!
Old 11-21-2008, 06:47 AM

Stick with Nikon or Canon. They each have an excellent selection of lenses available, both proprietary and 3rd party. If you can, go to a camera shop and hold each one in your hand. Often, it will be the ergonomics that will determine which one you buy. I have a Canon 20D. At the time, it had both the features I wanted, and it felt "right" when holding it. Its 3 years old and its been a great camera.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jeffs396
Shhh...there may be some here that still believe in Santa!
oh.. sorry ...

Edit : I'm gettin a Digital camera from santa this year, but dont know which one to ask him for

And thanks to the other input guys.
This is a tough decision, id like to get the d80
but they are a bit pricey compared to a d40
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 AM

if i were to go out and buy a camera tomorrow i would get the Canon XSi. I think that the features to price ratio is a really good mix. I'm the opposite of jeff, i don't really care for Nikon products anymore. I use a canon for work (it's a couple models behind) and i like it a lot. The XSi is amazing.

So if you say you're going out and getting it thi Saturday, that would mean you're just going to go out and buy it at a store? I would avoid that. Maybe go out and look at them, hold them, pick one. But look at prices online first. Check out Adorama, great camera site, and you can probably get a better deal. Or wait and watch the sunday ads, as Christmas gets closer they will be pushing some of those bigger items.

The price has went up since this sale, but i know for a bit Adorama had the XSi with both the standard kit lens and the 75-300 for $750 new. It was a better price then anyone else but a good amount.

I wish my Santa would be bringing me one. But alas, no.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:47 AM

If the budget allows IMO, get the D80-D90. The D40, D40x, D60 models lack an internal focus motor, so you're restricted to the lenses w/internal focus motor to auto focus, but still take very good images . You will be able to auto focus with the whole line up with a D80 and up models.
All the current crop of DSLR's are very good at what they do, and they all have their good points and bad points. Whatever you decide on, expect a large learning curve, as slapping it on auto out of the box and expecting the same image quality as your TZ-3 will lead to disappointment.
Here's a couple of well regarded books to help with your photographic journey:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html?ie=UTF8&a=0817463003
And
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-C.../dp/0817441816
Old 11-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ratracer
If the budget allows IMO, get the D80-D90. The D40, D40x, D60 models lack an internal focus motor, so you're restricted to the lenses w/internal focus motor to auto focus, but still take very good images . You will be able to auto focus with the whole line up with a D80 and up models.
All the current crop of DSLR's are very good at what they do, and they all have their good points and bad points. Whatever you decide on, expect a large learning curve, as slapping it on auto out of the box and expecting the same image quality as your TZ-3 will lead to disappointment.
Here's a couple of well regarded books to help with your photographic journey:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html?ie=UTF8&a=0817463003
And
http://www.amazon.com/Learning-See-C.../dp/0817441816
thanks ratracer for the input
ill consider the books after i decide on a camera
and yea , ive considered the d80 for that reason (autofocus motor)
and cause i like the size of the d80, fits my hand better

Quick Reply: Digital SLR camera help....