The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Displaying Military Dog Tags?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by SindyDix
How about an enclosed type... similar to how coins are preserved and displayed. That way the tag(s) are sealed away from the 'elements' that may damage them throught the years.
Not much worry there, they are made to withstand the elements.... some ideas you could do, have them gold plated, annodized or bronzed, them put on display..
Old 03-06-2007, 07:35 PM

I was rumbling around in my junk dresser draw the other day, came across mine. (just the draw everything accumulates in, not saying they were junk)
Anyway, I called my youngest son in, (19), got to talking about them and the old days, Boy the memories just flood in.
Maybe just a picture frame with the chains holding the two, side by side.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Black Beauty
Maybe just a picture frame with the chains holding the two, side by side.
I like that idea... I hope my son give me one of his tags for me to hang on his proudly displayed picture in my front room.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:03 PM

You can have replica`s made, but active duty personnel wear two at all times.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Teflonworm
This is kind of an off question but one I have spent a long time goggling to no avail and figured maybe someone on here might know.

When my grandfather passed away, he left me his dog tags because we used to spend hours talking about his life, the war, and military in general.

Ive had them kept safe in a box for years and years but I would really enjoy displaying them somehow in my house but I cannot for the life of me think of the best way to mount them. I'm afraid to use any kinda adhesive or glue because I do not want to damage them.

Has anyone on here ever seen or done something similar? Id really enjoy showcasing these in the open for all the good memories they bring for me and to celebrate a rather important part of my grandfathers life.

Thanks in advance

Ethan
I think a shadow Box is the best place and I would place a folded Flag in the Box with His name on the front, and place it in your very special place in your home, It is very nice to see that you were very close with him, Think about going to a VFW post and maybe someone there will help you or even give you a better Idea.

Rudy (Z-Man)
Old 03-07-2007, 08:46 PM

He was actually a very large part and influence in my life so the least I can do is showcase something he was so proud of and something we had in common.

Little tidbit, he actually inspired me to take up history secondary education as a major when I was in college. I loved his stories so much, I wanted to know more and more and more...

My aunt has his flag now hung up in her home and its already willed to me when she passes. For these dog tags, Im probably going to do a traditional engraved plate with name, rank, division, etc...

My aunt has photos of him in his uniform that I may ask to have and even send out to get custom framed to include both.

This post and the idea of displaying the tags has rekindled the fondness of it all for me.