The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.
View Poll Results: Do you like hip hop?!?
YES!!!
32.74%
NO!!!
67.26%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

DJ Flipside

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by johnnypatrick
Hip hop is for retards. It is not even music. Doesn't fit the definition of music. It is more like primitive moronic chant. The so-called artists that do hip hop usually can't even spell correctly, use grammar correctly or even play a musical instrament. They can't even sing. Furthermore they chant about gross, primitive, gutter like things. Of course kids like stuff like that. Adults?
There are great jazz musicians who come to town and no one listens to them or goes to their concerts. These musicians pay and study and practice earning a degree of complexity that is extraordinary but who sells out the big arena's? Snoop Dog! Well snizzle wizzle to the lizzles!
I forget. How blissed is ignorance?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by quest51210
problem is i cannot find the time to do my own. there really is not any money in the full custom fab like that. i mean there is, but once you break down a job like that hourly...u begin to feel resentment.

sounds like it fits the definition of music pretty well. you must remember that the blues was seen likewise by mainstream america in the 1890's and YOUR Jazz music is a direct spinoff of Jazz, even though jazz was much more of a bourgeois movement.

simple idea, maybe you could wrap your brain around it...if you dont like it then do not post.

mu·sic
Pronunciation: \ˈmyü-zik\
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English musik, from Anglo-French musike, from Latin musica, from Greek mousikē any art presided over by the Muses, especially music, from feminine of mousikos of the Muses, from Mousa Muse
Date: 13th century
1 a: the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity b: vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony
2 a: an agreeable sound : euphony <her voice was music to my ears> b: musical quality <the music of verse>
3: a musical accompaniment <a play set to music>
4: the score of a musical composition set down on paper
5: a distinctive type or category of music <there is a music for everybody — Eric Salzman>
All American popular music can trace it's roots to the blues.And the blues started in the cotton fields as African chants being sung by slaves.Seems like it's come full circle doesn't it? I have two bottles of dirt sitting on top of my A/V cabinet.One is from "The Crossroads" and the other is from Robert Johnson's gravesite.If you don't know the significance of those two places,do some research into the history of the blues.I think it's good mojo for my stereo system. http://www.history-of-rock.com/blues.htm http://www.pbs.org/theblues/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...%28musician%29

Last edited by HonestBlues; 07-29-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by johnnypatrick
Hip hop is for retards. It is not even music. Doesn't fit the definition of music. It is more like primitive moronic chant. The so-called artists that do hip hop usually can't even spell correctly, use grammar correctly or even play a musical instrament. They can't even sing. Furthermore they chant about gross, primitive, gutter like things. Of course kids like stuff like that. Adults?
There are great jazz musicians who come to town and no one listens to them or goes to their concerts. These musicians pay and study and practice earning a degree of complexity that is extraordinary but who sells out the big arena's? Snoop Dog! Well snizzle wizzle to the lizzles!

I listen to all manner of music (well, mostly) and I have to say that the negative qualities you listed can be spread across specific examples of every genre, but not across entire genres themselves.

I bet you listen to either rock or country. Both of those genres have crossed into taboo or "gross, primitive, gutter like things" as you call them. Both have broken the traditional laws of grammar as well.

Regarding the talent aspect of your argument, you are implying that hip-hop artists either a) have no talent, or b) don't have to practice or study the genre. Let's make an example of this by getting you to record some of your own rap or hip-hop and post it up here. If it requires no study or practice, you should be able to do it as well as the greats, right?
Old 07-29-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
Kind of ironic huh?

* Error 1 bold
* Error 2 bold and red
* Corrections in parenthesis

Your posts entertain me, my friend
Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HonestBlues
All American popular music can trace it's roots to the blues.And the blues started in the cotton fields as African chants being sung by slaves.Seems like it's come full circle doesn't it? I have two bottles of dirt sitting on top of my A/V cabinet.One is from "The Crossroads" and the other is from Robert Johnson's gravesite.If you don't know the significance of those two places,do some research into the history of the blues.I think it's good mojo for my stereo system. http://www.history-of-rock.com/blues.htm http://www.pbs.org/theblues/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_...%28musician%29
you must have missed my other posts in this thread... i already linked the blues to most music. if you want you cand send me ur email and i will send you a research paper i wrote on the blues influence on regional, national, and global pop culture. you must have forgotten that Robert Johnson recorded his first album here in San Antonio at the Guenther Hotel which is 5 minutes from me.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:39 AM

Whatever music works for a particular person, fine for him or her. Me personally though, on hip hop/rap: Can't abide the stuff. I run like a scared marmot into the woods at the first sign of it!
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by captain howdy
I disagree. Hip hop is not black music. It has it's definitive roots as urban music but has progressed beyond that. When you look at the early hip hop and B boy movements race wasn't as important as culture. Watch Beat Street. Granted back in the day there were artist like X-Clan and Afrika Bambaataa that were proud of their African roots but their were also white pioneers like the Beasty Boys and 3rd Base. Even though I'm by definition white I grew up in the the ghetto listening to hip hop (amongst other music) so hence it's part of my culture. Like 70% - 80% of hip hop is being bought by a white audience anyways and almost all positive movement, enlightened, and underground hip hop is purchased by whites because catchy thug **** is what sells to the black market. I don't think any race can claim rap as it's own.........That's like saying rock and roll is white music.
The "70% to 80%" stat is thrown aruond alot, but I doubt its true.
As for HipHop being "Black Music", well, I disagree with you to some degree.
TOday its all around the world and is truly international, but its roots are African American.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chizzer
My Hip-Hop tastes are generally limited to Nerdcore

MC Frontalot
MC Hawking
MC++
Baddd Spellah
Jessie Dangerously
Optimus Rhyme
Futuristic Sex Robotz
Beefy
etc...
WHO???
MC++
Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM

The "70% to 80%" stat is thrown aruond alot, but I doubt its true.
Haha... 82% of percentages are made up on the spot, as was this one.

I might as well put in my 2cents.. Almost all modernized music can trace its roots back to the original "blues," which is completely African-American in root. Everything from rap, hip-hop, country, rock... Techno is in a class of its own, lol.. (you'd like it if you had robot ears..). But that doesn't mean one race owns a genre.

I title myself as rocker, mainly because I listen to almost all forms of it. There are bands I love, and bands I hate. I also listen to a lot of rap, hip-hop, and even country when I'm drinking sometimes. All genres have their talented artists and the artists that some are surprised even made it to the radio. But to say that a form of music is not music at all just because you don't like it is downright ignorant, as is stereotyping a genre as white or black. All forms of music can; "can," not "is"; be appreciated by all races/cultures.

But, here again we were all rude in the fact that we totally jacked Jeremy's thread about one DJ and a poll of who likes/dislikes hip-hop. I don't believe he asked us to elaborate on our opinions. So, for myself, I apologize for the assistance of wavering the main topic.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:41 PM

hip hop and rap are both crap

the 60s and 70s the only way to go no country