The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Does anyone have one of those all in 1 remotes from Logitech (Harmony)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:27 PM

Does anyone have one of those all in 1 remotes from Logitech (Harmony)

I got us a 50" Panasonic Plasma for Xmas and the remote from my cable box will only allow me to change the channels even after punching in the Panasonic codes....I'm thinking of getting one of the Logitech harmony all in 1 remotes but was looking for some feedback from peeps who actually have them and are happy (or unhappy with them)

I'd need it for my cable box and TV and a dvd player...the cable box is also a DVR so I'd need to be able to use the remote for that as well...so...........................

When using it for the TV are you able to access all the menus that you would be able to with the TV remote? Also the DVR would be another biggy

Thanks

Goose
Old 12-26-2008, 02:25 PM

you might try the Panasonic web site to see if there is other codes. I have a Dell TV and had that prob. also. Eventually found one after some trial and error.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM

Thumbs up i have

i have always used the least expensive universal remote i could find-less than $10- and never had any problems. the 1 i have now is called " one for all ". i also have a " viewsat ultra " fta box that works great.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:30 PM

Thumbs up

I have the Logitech Harmony One and I LOVE it! Did I mention that I LOVE it?

You go online, pick out your componets by brand and model, set everything up, then when your done the site programs your remote for you! Then sit back and enjoy one push of a button to watch TV, watch a DVD, play a CD, listen to a radio station , whatever you want! It is Sooooooooooooooo sweet!

Go for it, you will not be sorry!

And yes, the DVR funtion is no problem, you push "menu" and there it is, ready for your viewing commands!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Harmony 870

Love my Logitech. Takes just a little while to program as you need to install software on your PC/Mac, then start selecting components. But their software walks you through component selection and how you want to use your remote. Works very well and you have access to everything -- all menus, functions, etc. There is even a version that does RF commands so you can control things like a Bose Lifestyle system (which does not use IR, only RF). I found it was even very easy to change the components: We removed a Toshiba plasma and replaced with an LG plasma. Didn't have to reprogram the whole thing, just went onto the computer, changed the component, connected the remote via USB and reprogrammed it.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Is that an older model? I only see the 880 and 890 on line. I may get the 890 for my living room setup. I need the RF unit as I have all the componets down in the furnace room, only the TV and speakers in the living room. Nice and clean look.
I have the "Universal Remote Control Inc. RF30" for that room and programing that is a pain in the butt and make a change? You have to start from scratch!

My Harmony is in the downstairs "cave" and I love it.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:37 AM

I initially bought the Harmony for the living room. I use it to control my Sony big screen, Yamaha sound system, Motorola DVR and Lasko tower fan. At one time i also used it to control my PS2, this was unitl I upgraded to the PS3. This remote is essential to any home theatre with more than two remotes.
I love this remote dearly. as previously stated in another post, there is a program you download to your pc. Then you enter your components by type, brand and model #. Once everything is registered you set up activities ie "Watch Cable" or "PS3". Once all said and done your remote will display these activities next to soft buttons. Press what ever you want and eveything turns on to the proper input and you are g2g. Then if you want to change an activity you hit that one and and switches everything over. This is a lovely piece of technology. Like with mine I have "PS3" (which by the way is incompatible since it runs on bluetooth), "Cable", "climate control", "stereo", "wii" and "rock out gaming" which is playing a game but listening to the stereo. On my stereo activity i have my preset channel banks stored into the harmony. So if my girlfriend wants to listen to her channels she presses a button and her presets pop up. Same as with me and my listening preferences.

Now the only cons are with some components you need to call customer service so they can fine tune everything the way you want. I expierenced this with a Sony Bravia M series and a Bravia S series. I was on the phone with CS for about an hour. They got into my account and adjusted some advance settings. But when I upgraded to a Bravia V series Bravia the remote took the program flawlessy so maybe it's just something with the lower end models. Besides that did I mention how great this remote is?
Also that after buying the 1st one I went and bought another 550 for the bedroom!

Harmony 550
Pros -
Easy to program
Soft keys you can customize
Great price ($100 or so)
Easily eliminates remote clutter
Can control about anything with an IR signal like a tower fan or curtains
Neo Blue back lit buttons
Nice design with the sqaure shape and piano black/gray/chrome highlights (compliments my home theatre and PS3 blu ray remote)
Looks good just sitting there
Easy to use for non tech saavy people like my GF... lol. Sorry babe.

Cons-
Calling customer service and having to do trial and error and some components that are being (for a lack of a harsher word) "difficult"

Also I bought one for my popz and convinced two of my friends to buy one as well, all of whom love it also.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 AM

I have the Harmony 1000 and the 880. They both are great remotes. My wife loves it more than me. The 1000 replaced 7 different remotes. The remotes automatically select the correct inputs, turn the proper devices on and off. Very user friendly.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 AM

Looking at the 880 refurb at Amazon for 75 bux...seems like a pretty good deal? Refurbs are sometimes a great deal

Goose
Old 12-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Goose
Looking at the 880 refurb at Amazon for 75 bux...seems like a pretty good deal? Refurbs are sometimes a great deal
I'd say go for it. Great price ... as long as it comes with a warranty, which most refurbs do.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have one of those all in 1 remotes from Logitech (Harmony)