The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Earthquake on East Coast

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM

Having lived through many earthquakes, they are not all one kind here in CA.
I've been in rolling ones where you can feel the waves coming towards you before they hit (most building here are built on rollers to sway with the 'quake -- total E-Ticket ride).

Been in sharp ones where it was just a quick jolt.

Been in some that last seconds to minutes.

No one kind here.

From listening to the folks at Cal Tech this afternoon, the main difference is that the fault it was on there was a solid piece of rock, thus the vibrations were able to be felt much further, whereas our fault lines are cracked in the earth and can elicit different sensations and may not travel as far.

In addition, that one was not a deep earthquake and close to the surface, hence another reason it was felt so far away. My Boy in Louisville said it was felt out there.

Not discounting what y'all felt -- they are still scary for me as you do not know when they will hit. At least with storms and hurricanes and some tornadoes, you kinda have a little warning.

So far it just looks like some buildings were damaged and just A LOT of shaken nerves.

@
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 PM

I was on the 3rd floor of our pick module in our warehouse making room for new ATV parts that came in. It's basically made out of racking and grated flooring and is 20,000 sq ft. It moved about 6 inches side to side, which is a good bit. Thought someone hit it with a forklift but didn't hear a loud bang. Looked at the seperate racking near the packing area and saw that sway. Knew it was an earhquake then.
Our manager is from Cali and was at home for lunch at the time. He called to check on the warehouse. So if a Cali native is calling to check up and make sure his pick mod is still standing you know it was a decent one.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM

She's a F'n Dr man, she knows!

Originally Posted by afs9
Having lived through many earthquakes, they are not all one kind here in CA.
I've been in rolling ones where you can feel the waves coming towards you before they hit (most building here are built on rollers to sway with the 'quake -- total E-Ticket ride).

Been in sharp ones where it was just a quick jolt.

Been in some that last seconds to minutes.

No one kind here.

From listening to the folks at Cal Tech this afternoon, the main difference is that the fault it was on there was a solid piece of rock, thus the vibrations were able to be felt much further, whereas our fault lines are cracked in the earth and can elicit different sensations and may not travel as far.

In addition, that one was not a deep earthquake and close to the surface, hence another reason it was felt so far away. My Boy in Louisville said it was felt out there.

Not discounting what y'all felt -- they are still scary for me as you do not know when they will hit. At least with storms and hurricanes and some tornadoes, you kinda have a little warning.

So far it just looks like some buildings were damaged and just A LOT of shaken nerves.

@

Well put! on the reals, like she said they are ALL scary. We're just used to a bump now and then. I lived close to the Northridge quake here when I was a kid. Now THAT was a quake. The up and downers are the biitches. The house literally split apart - frightening but nothing like a hurricane or tornado. Screw that- give me the bumps any day.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by afs9

@
That's exactly it.. Like a tight guitar string, compared to a loose one..

I have family in Virginia, Maryland & Penna. All reported to be Ok, & no damage.
So that's a relief for me..
Old 08-24-2011, 09:52 PM

Glad there were no injuries near the center of the quake. Here on Long Island we felt the "waves" from it. Below us is sand then rock. When the quake waves (most likely 3 total) came to us it vibrated the sand into almost a liquid (vibrate a 1/2 inch layer of sand on a drum-it looks like rippling water) which then let the wave travel freely to the end of LI.