The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Family Traditions (Eating)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:35 PM

Family Traditions (Eating)

Just finished Sunday dinner and was reminiscing on my family's traditions of weekly dinners. Every Friday the whole family would go out for dinner. This was mainly due to the fact that this was the day that my parents bought groceries and since we were out would just eat out. Saturdays were always reserved for order-in Pizza and would normally include one of us kids friends. Sundays were always great big meals with all the fixings and a dessert. No matter what day it was though you could count on one thing. Every single family member would be sitting around the dinner table.

How did/does your family eat dinner and do you have special dinner days?
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Banned

Sunday was for pasta with fresh homemade meat gravy, fresh bread, and all the sides at Grandpa Ted's house when I was a kid. I guess that sounds kind of weird if you're not Italian. Most of us Guido and Goombah types call sauce gravy.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Firday nights was pizza night we ordered it late due to high school football games,sunday morning was a big breakfast, sunday evening was a big dinner and the aunts and uncles would come over, we did all eat at the tables, we usally ate around 9pm after everyone got done running around. My husband and I don't have one we do with the kids yet, due to the navy and being gone and weird times of getting home but we do try to all eat at the table when we can.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:38 PM

When the boys were still living at home,Sunday was my cooking day.Sometimes it would be my locally famous spagetti with hot Italian sausage or in the warmer months it was BBQ steaks or burgers out on the grill.Normally one or both of the boys would bring a friend to join us.Those were good times and are now good memories.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Most of my immediate family still has the "sunday meal" together. At one of 2 houses....mine or my daughters.

Meals are usually more than we need....5-6 courses, but what the hell, it's only once a week. And again, I cook, my wife cooks or the daughter and/or son-in-law cooks for the lot. About 8 people. Good times with a fine after dinner cigar.

Capt.....I know what Sunday gravy is. I was raised in an Italian neighborhood and spent some summers, as a kid, in Mom and Pop resturants of NY's little Italy (which I really miss). Ahhhh, peppers, onions and Italian sausage. Always a glass of wine, bread, olives as soon as you sit down.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM

Growing up in St. Louis, my grandpa and aunt/uncle/cousins would come over or we'd go to their house every Sunday for barbeque. Ribs or pork steaks were their specialties with homemade potato salad, baked beans, and garlic bread. We had a half-acre of cut field behind our house and six acres of woods behind that. We were outdoors playing ball or just talking and listening to a Cardinal baseball game all day long (no A/C) until the lightning bugs and mosquitos came out. Those were some great times!

On holiday weekends we'd go to my dad's and my uncle's cabins on Lake Wappappello in SE Missouri. We spent our days down at the dock swimming, water skiing, and enjoying the sunshine. At night we had some fearsome Trivial Pursuit competitions, always males against females. My dad never wanted to participate but always came up with the right answer.

My generation just doesn't do that anymore. Many of us live in different states. When I go to Southwest Florida to see my sisters, we do our best to recreate those good times. Yes, family is very important to me!
Old 03-19-2007, 02:17 PM

we try and have family dinners at least evey other weekend now. kinda makin up for lost time when i was a kid. pop worked 2nds, mom worked 1sts and 2nds, when i got older i worked a farm then graveyard shift so....
Old 03-19-2007, 02:54 PM

No time like to present to make up for the past! Hope your family enjoys the time together!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SandyBeach
No time like to present to make up for the past! Hope your family enjoys the time together!
Thats for sure! The funny thing is now that I'm living back at home with the parents its kinda the same as when I was a kid. Only difference now is grocery day varies but we still eat out and of course there is still the ever popular Stuff Your Self Sunday Dinners!
Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM

For me it is every sunday, we go out to eat right before church.

Quick Reply: Family Traditions (Eating)