The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Fill my tank or feed a child?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM

The reason we don't have, or need, a strong army presence like the US is becuase we don't stir up sh@t like you guys do. We don't go around pissing other countries off and making them our enemies. We're not as worried or as paranoid about attacks as you folks in the US.

We do what we can with what we have. We don't really need more. It's sufficient.

When it comes to the draft dodgers I don't see that as being Canada's fault. Some people back then clearly had different views of what was right and wrong and didn't want to participate in a forceful summon's to war.

And, yeah, eh is a part of the Canadian languauge. If it's not in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary I'm sure it will be at some point.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by calgaryhhr
The reason we don't have, or need, a strong army presence like the US is becuase we don't stir up sh@t like you guys do. We don't go around pissing other countries off and making them our enemies. We're not as worried or as paranoid about attacks as you folks in the US.
Well, obviously you and every other Canadian (whether or not you want to admit it) understands that not only do we protect Canada, in all reality the US protects over 70% of the free world.

Now I did not want to make this a debate on whos country is better, or who is tougher. However, I (like so many other American military members, past, present and future) have always and will always protect the basic rights of freedom for those who may not be able to do it themselves, whether it be American citizens or anyone else.

But what really pisses me off, is when others who know they need us doing that, criticize what we do or say we bring it on ourselves.

How about a simple thank you and we appreciate you for doing it.....

As for the draft dodger issue, um, well, they went to Canada and had to get approval to come into your country right? No matter what people thought back then, the bottom line is the Canadian gov't didn't stop them......
Old 10-24-2006, 04:03 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
There is a little organization in Canada called the CVVA (Canadian Vietnam Veterans Association) .

Alot of brave Canadian Soldiers went to and fought along side American Soldiers in Vietnam, around the same time draft dodgers came into Canada... go figure.

In the future, you really should think before you speak.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by modestohhrclub
There is a little organization in Canada called the CVVA (Canadian Vietnam Veterans Association) .

Alot of brave Canadian Soldiers went to and fought along side American Soldiers in Vietnam, around the same time draft dodgers came into Canada... go figure.

In the future, you really should think before you speak.
Blah, blah, blah.....

I am not debating that fact and I do not think I ever said that. I am sure that there are brave Canadians that fought in many wars.

However, we are the bad boys on the block right now, and we have been since becoming a country, and we always will be.

I am however getting tired (like so many other Americans) for having to protect everyone.

However, I also realize that there isn't anyone else who will do it, certainly not Canada. The truth is what it is, and why is it that we have to always sugarcoat everything when it comes to the US.

We kick ass, take names, and no matter whatever any other human being has to say, what we do makes the world a better and safer place to live.....
Old 10-24-2006, 04:24 PM

Location: Fresno, California (formerly of Modesto, Ca. -- hometown of George Lucas, formerly of Winnipeg, Mb.)
Originally Posted by BILLANDTONI
Blah, blah, blah.....

I am not debating that fact and I do not think I ever said that. I am sure that there are brave Canadians that fought in many wars.

However, we are the bad boys on the block right now, and we have been since becoming a country, and we always will be.

I am however getting tired (like so many other Americans) for having to protect everyone.

However, I also realize that there isn't anyone else who will do it, certainly not Canada. The truth is what it is, and why is it that we have to always sugarcoat everything when it comes to the US.

We kick ass, take names, and no matter whatever any other human being has to say, what we do makes the world a better and safer place to live.....

Is that before or after 9/11, the attack on the USS Cole or the bombing of the Marine Barracks?

This is getting tiresome. One thing I really hate is people who think they are more superior than anyone else... and your posts clearly say that you are superior to any other country. Sad.

Besides, an argument every now and again keeps the mind going, don't you think?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:30 PM

Is that before or after 9/11?

This is getting tiresome. One thing I really hate is people who think they are more superior than anyone else... and your posts clearly say that you are superior to any other country. Sad.

Besides, an argument every now and again keeps the mind going, don't you think?
In all reality there is no argument if you really think about it.

Is there a country more superior than the United States. The clear answer is no.

I am not trying to put anyone or anyhting down, I am just stating the facts.....

As for the 9/11 question, are we not the world leaders now, and were we not the world leaders before????? I think you can answer your own question.......

With the Cole, and the Marine barracks attacks, I think we should have turned both areas into glass factories, then maybe 9/11 would not have happened. Anyway, the world has always been at war and always will be, the question is, what does the world (well OK, mainly the US because everyone else is afraid to) to deal with them.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM

I really like how you think you're doing us such a big favour. I'm not sure I've really ever heard of Canada asking for some sort of protection. I may not be correct about this but I recall recently Canada saying we don't want to part of some of the protection methods. I think we refused to be part of the Missile Defence Program (shield) or whatever the thing was called. We don't really need whatever you guys think you are providing to us.

As for the US not needing anything from Canada, I do know that oil and gas imports into your country are huge in order to meet your demand. Last time I checked we were exporting more hydrocarbons to the US than we are actually using ourselves up here. There's other things we provide as well, lumber, beef, weed (for some of the more northern states), good beer.

Not to mention all the intellectual trade going on between the two countries. You guys are lucky that you can provide larger salaries to doctors than Canada can. It hurts our health care system but atleast it keeps you guys alive.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:37 PM

In all reality there is no argument if you really think about it.

Is there a country more superior than the United States. The clear answer is no.

I am not trying to put anyone or anyhting down, I am just stating the facts.....

As for the 9/11 question, are we not the world leaders now, and were we not the world leaders before????? I think you can answer your own question.......

Your reply can solicit many different answers... none of them will be productive... I post something you don't like, you post something... the never-ending cycle of an argument begins/has begun.

This debate should be closed and forgotten... lots of friendships have ended by continued bickering.

Friends?
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM

Your reply can solicit many different answers... none of them will be productive... I post something you don't like, you post something... the never-ending cycle of an argument begins/has begun.

This debate should be closed and forgotten... lots of friendships have ended by continued bickering.

Friends?
You got it tuff guy.

But can I ask you why you now choose to live in the greatest country on earth and not in Canada?????

Nevermind.....
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM

You got it tuff guy.

But can I ask you why you now choose to live in the greatest country on earth and not in Canada?????

Nevermind.....
I found a great woman and married her. Dual -Citizenship has it's advantages.

Quick Reply: Fill my tank or feed a child?