The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

follow up question for Opinions on Employment Matter

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 AM

follow up question for Opinions on Employment Matter

OK, I told you about my boss docking me for being late twice in 1 pay period. Prior to this pay shortage, I was considered "exempt" status. I understand that since he has made this move, he has now re-classified me as "non-exempt". I may be the only "Vice President" that gets paid by the hour.

Here's the question. I got a hold of the time cards in question. The pay period was for 2 full weeks and 1day, or a total of 88 hours. My time cards indicated a total of 93.498 time attended, in spite of being late twice. My bosses argument is that he did not authorize overtime during lunch hours, all though there is nothing in writing. Even deducting the lunch time, that would give me a total of 87.998 hours attended. This is really splitting hairs now. If I agreed to a payroll deduction, it would be about $.05 .
How would the labor board interpret this time card?

Originally Posted by PinkChick
There was a union and after negotiating the union agreed that the company could deduct for time late by exact minutes only however, where it was shown the employee actually worked extra, even if only a couple of minutes those extra minutes were to be paid at time & half. Guess what, they seldom got to deduct the money and instead it cost them more in paying overtime. Some companies are too quick to notice the bad and not realize they often have more good around them then they realize.
Pink Chick? Wher the employees paid overtime for thr 2 minutes they were waiting in line to punch out?

Also as a follow-up, any retalliatory attacks mentioned were purely hypothetical, thought up by my evil sub-conscience. I have never done any of these acts, only heard of them happen to others. Actually any of the afore mentioned acts would only come back to hurt me anyway.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:01 PM

I know in the plant that I worked in(Oshawa GM, unionized), that when you were late you were docked to the nearest tenth of an hour or 6 minutes. That still goes today although the O.T. would only be paid after 8 hours(ie late 7:06am and work to 3:06pm = 8hrs after 3:06pm overtime would start) If one worked to 3:00pm, pay would be 8.0-0.1=7.9 hrs. Hope this may help...
Sorry to hear your problem is getting frustrating.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM

I have to figure the board would see your hours as you have. Total less your lunches. If your boss decides to get real nasty, he still has grounds to terminate your employment with the lateness. I know you feel that it is the "point" of the matter, but don't forget what is good for you over the long run.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM

This is a tough situation. You are in the right, but it could cost you your job.

If it was me, I'd start looking for another job and then AFTER I was in the new position I'd file a complaint with the local labor board.

In your situation, I might think that this was a tactic to try to force me out. But then I can at times be a little paranoid. Sometimes being an a$$ is just being as a$$.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM

these are tough times for everyone except donald trump, think long and hard and pick your battles wisely, good luck
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 AM

Ask your boss what the real issue is? Is he getting pressure from above and passing it down to you?

I have an employee (a contractor) who is 5-10 minutes late every day. I could have her removed today but then I'd have to train another one to do her very technical job. I don't have the time. However, if I'm contacted as a reference for her for future jobs, I will tell them the truth. So, she'll pay for it in the end.

The best advise I can give you is leave earlier for work!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM

Pink Chick? Wher the employees paid overtime for thr 2 minutes they were waiting in line to punch out?
It was a very small shop and most people took staggered lunchs/breaks so I don't recall there ever being a line up. But then again it was almost 30 years ago and my memory ain't what it used to be...lol.

Thankfully not an issue where I am now. Great pay, great bonuses, great boss and I love my job.