The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

Getting rid of the HHR...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 AM

Can't wait to see what you do to the Rabbit
Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 AM

I had a VW in the early 90s and it had more mechanical problems than any car I have owned. Stupid things like water leaks and fuse boxes going out. the new ones do look nice though. good luck to ya.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:30 PM

For those that needed them here are a few close ups of the grill.

Wide shot

Fiberglassed in the hole left from cutting the upper bar out

Left cuts

Right cuts
Old 12-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Banned

pmd
Old 12-10-2007, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by en0oNmAI
Parting out is a definate. So keep an eye out. I will have the GMPP exhaust manifold, H.O. Intake Manifold, Gold Line Gen. 1 drop springs, and possibly trade out the headlights... I'll make a new thread in the classifieds when the parts are available. But if anyone wants to shoot me a PM by all means go ahead!

Actually from the HHR the VW is a move up. Much more is standard on those cars. Like the CD/mp3, Side curtain airbags, 4wheel disc, ABS all the safety stuff I wanted on my HHR is std trim on the Wabbits. But, to each his own!
GOOD LUCK! VW does not care about anyone who's buys one of their cars. I hit a pothole 'lightly' with my 2003 beetle and split the wheel in 2 pieces, I fought with them for 2 months and found other people it happen too and mentioned class action lawsuit and they took care of the problem right away. I messed up I should have just gotten the lawyer....
Old 12-10-2007, 04:30 PM

That sucks man! I'm not too worried about it. Most of my warranty will be voided within the first 6-8months of ownership. HAHA! Just kidding. Keeping the mods plain and simple for now. CAI, cat-back exhaust, maybe a drop and some wheels. From there we'll see....
Old 01-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Well the Rabbit came in and everything was supposed to be a done deal. HHR is back to stock height and the only thing that remains are the headlights, 18's and the REALLY LOUD exhaust. They had everything set to go, my signature and everything and all that was supposed to be done was for me to get the keys.

Well, I didn't. Turns out their finance guy had the paperwork all drawn up but never ran numbers on the HHR. Turns out that my Chevy's got a REALLY CRAPPY hold on its value. They said they were going to give me the highest bluebook trade-in value (whatever, yeah right...) they could and it was only $8k. Turns out I still owe $10,500 on the HHR and they were going to be jerks and say they couldnt roll the extra $2,500 into the Rabbit. Looks like I may be making a trip to Phoenix sometime soon and go to the VW dealer there. These guys are MORONS!

So, in the meantime I'll still be driving the HHR and I will have a video of the LOUD exhaust on it sometime in the next week if I can find my camera. Yay!

Last edited by en0oNmAI; 01-07-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

It's like this. Secure your financing for the Rabbit with a credit union and bring in one blank check. Fill it out for the price you want to pay for the Rabbit and simply tell them that this is the only check you're filling out, so the HHR better be taken care of. They'll turn around and sell the HHR for $14k out on the used lot, or $11k at auction.

This whole "domestics don't hold their value" thing is rubbish and they'll do it as long as you let them get away with it. When I went to trade my Blazer in for the HHR, every dealer in Kansas City offered me between $5k and $6.5k for trade. I went to a friend's dealership in Council Bluffs and they gave me $9.5k for the Blazer. They turned around and sold it for $12k the next day.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 AM

I'm not saying domestics don't hold value. I'm saying my Chevy didn't hold its value. KBB trade in is a lot lower than what I paid. But compare that with comperable autos in price and options and the HHR and Chevy in general was a lot lower. I'm not saying my Chevy is a POS junker and GM sucks. Just frustrated at what I was told during my original purchase with VW. The day I took the HHR in it had just been detailed (in and out) and was back to stock with the exception of the exhaust. Looked like a showroom vehicle.

Tried the credit union approach too. They're who I am using for the financing. I may be stuck getting an older VW anyway. Found a couple of really nice Jettas and Passats.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

It's not holding value as long as you let the dealership use KBB as an excuse to shortchange your car. If you're trading in a vehicle that they do not have to auction for a new car with approved financing, you have the upper hand. As long as you're letting them know that you want the new car more than you want to keep the old one, they're just going to run you over. String 'em along for a few weeks until the end of the month and they'll start dealing.

If you get an older Jetta or Passat--get an extended warranty. After 50k, the repairs will eat you alive in costs.