The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM announces major investment in auto plant (in Mexico)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Greybeard999
Did they also put this much into rebuilding or upgrading a plant here in the states?

I know locally they closed one (Ontario, Ohio) ............... Those people won't be buying a new car anytime soon.
Powertrain plant at Tonawanda, an engine plant in St. Catharines, Ontario; and also Defiance Ohio; Bedford, Ind.; and Bay City, Mich.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:08 PM

So they are investing here as well.......
Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
All companies will have to go global or disappear, it's a fact of life and there's no turning back now. Not saying I like it, but it is what it is.
Agreed, I don't like it either, but with the HHR production end coming...If GM is to continue using that plant, makes sense they would need to re-tool the whole place for the next new ride...
Just doesn't seem right on "bail -out bucks'

I never complained about my Canadian made Chevy S-10 trucks I had..(lil different)..imo
Old 08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
Founding Member

All three countries are in North America so technically they are all American made.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

true..
Old 08-07-2010, 04:44 PM

more money overseas

Great, more money to factories NOT in our country. I just don't understand why they just can't use their existing factories here in the states? They just keep shutting them down here...why is it you can buy a Toyota made in the US with 70+% american made parts but your chevy is built in mexico with 70% foreign parts?????......I just don't get it...
Old 08-07-2010, 06:46 PM

To really understand this you need to really take in all the facts involved not just the ones you hear or want to hear.

GM is not going to abandon a fairly new modern plant in this area as they can and will build cars for North America, Centeral America and possibly South America.

Many of the plants in the US are either redundent to some we already have here or are so old they are impractical. Remember GM lost a lot of market share and no longer needs all the production plants we have.

Global platforms will dominate from here on. The Regal right now is built in Germany but will move to Canada soon. THe Aveo is coming from Korea to Michigan. More similar moves are planned.

I would not be suprised if the Cruze will start up in Mex as well as may be additional Malibu production. Many of the cars built in that plant are also sold in Mex.

Also many of the parts used in that plant come from the states. Just look where your Tranny, Engine and other related parts were made. Even the Horn is Italian owne Fiamma but built in the States.

We can all blame GM, The Gov and the UAW for a lot of the issues involved here. Increase in taxes and other related Gov debts will hurt companies expanding here.

The UAW is not letting GM cut the many extra workers they need to cut. They can after only other things happen but GM has not been able to do this. Companies like Toyota have new plants with 1/3 the workers and benifits to pay. They can build cars here cheaper because they have whole different guide line to deal with. Many of their plants are still non union too.

Either way the plant in Mex is not going to make or break our economy as there are many more things that need to be done to fix our economy and they are just not happening. Next year is going to be tough if we do not see some spending cuts. I just hope GM has a good IPO to help them into the next year.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
Powertrain plant at Tonawanda, an engine plant in St. Catharines, Ontario; and also Defiance Ohio; Bedford, Ind.; and Bay City, Mich.
There's also one they've been pumping money into in Flint, Mich for the new engines that go in the Volt, Cruze and so on...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by mitechman
Great, more money to factories NOT in our country. I just don't understand why they just can't use their existing factories here in the states? They just keep shutting them down here...why is it you can buy a Toyota made in the US with 70+% american made parts but your chevy is built in mexico with 70% foreign parts?????......I just don't get it...
Well, one thing is most of the plants are near 100 years old. Technology changes, and the plants get outdated. It isn't cost effective for them to revamp a century old plant, when they have a newer one that isn't as far behind somewhere else.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 PM

don't forget GM already paid back their "bail-out" in full. Whatever money they're using to make current headlines is theirs to use.

I'm not saying I think right now is a great time for GM to spend a pile of money in Mexico, and I think it would be great if they retooled a plant in the US instead of any other country... Just saying the bail-out money has been paid back.

Quick Reply: GM announces major investment in auto plant (in Mexico)