The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM bail out

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by rommer
So how is the fact that they waste money on other stupid things any justification for wasting $25,000,000,000.00 on a company that most likely will declare bankruptcy away? What are they putting up to guarantee the loan? Why won't the banks give them any more money?

BECAUSE THE AUTOMAKERS ARE A VERY BAD RISK WITH LITTLE CHANCE TO SURVIVE IN THEIR CURRENT FORM!
rommer, Because I don't know it's a waste and neither do you. I have no crystal ball that tells the future and neither do you. You only have an opinion that it is a waste. I believe you and the others in this thread that think this is a waste is just sad and if they get the loans only time will tell if you are right or wrong. Also I am not a liberal, and why that would even pertain to this issue is unknown to me.

It should be obvious to everyone that knows me on this forum where I stand on this issue. I have been amazed at the GM bashers on these threads and I have tried to keep a low profile by posting links to stories and staying out of the fray. But that hasn't happened since I quoted your thread. I quit reading the political threads because I found myself drawing negative opinions about the posters that I hadn't had before. These GM threads have now done the same and that's a shame. Negativity is a dangerous thing and I try to see a positive anytime I can.

I gave you three minor examples of government wasteful spending. You know there are more and there will be more to come. I will never change your mind or any others on these GM threads that seem to relish the thought of GM going under. And you will never change my mind that GM is the greatest company that has ever existed and I will always support them.

I think these GM bailout/loans/help threads are nothing but detrimental to a forum dedicated to a GM product. If any of the GM bashers wish to continue this with me, sorry I don't care to participate.

rommer, If you need help with your HHR send me a PM or post a thread on the problem I will try to help you out. But I am done with this and the other related threads. Don't bother trying to quote me and get another response. It's not going to happen.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
The folks on here that are against unions are the same ones who post that they lost their job because their boss didn`t like them,slept with someone else,has a relative,etc,etc. Then it`s all Waaah it unfair. One day you have benefits,the next they take it away. Waaah it`s unfair. Your boss screws up but makes you the fall guy and now your loading your belongings into the back of the HHR that you now can`t afford. Waaah it`s unfair. I`ve been working my butt off for my boss and he`s successful but I don`t get a raise. Waaah it`s unfair.

Yes I work for a union business. If i f up,I`ll be fired for it. But it will be for MY actions and not a-hole making me his guinea pig.

lol
you got that sh*t backwards, you wont see me crying cuz they lost my jobs, if i did i would be out looking for a better job.unlike the lazy idiots walking the picket lines. do you like paying someone union mobster to work out raises and such for you? why cant you man up and ask for your own raise?? this is 2008 not 1908 there is not a need for unions anymore.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
The only difference in labor rates is the American companies are paying pension benifits that the japs don't have as they don't have any companies that have been here long enough. Toyota has one in Ky. that is getting there and they are doing their best to make life unbearable for older employees in order to fire them or get them to quit so they don't have to pay a full pension. At least GM steps up to the plate and does what is right the same as any other company should. If GM goes out where do you think you will find replacement parts for your HHR or are you just troiling here to cause trouble? If they file there won't be a GM and every GM built car will be worth 0 and the next car you buy will cost a whole lot more than what you are paying now do to the supply and demand. It will take at many many years to replace the 10 million cars that GM sells alone but most likely there will not be that demand cause this country will be in a depression by the middle of next year and then we will see how your talk the talk. I don't know what you do for a living but I can't think of ANY job where this won't cost you a lot of money somehow. Enlighten me.
Um, last time I checked, those "japs" at Nissan Motor Corp. USA have been selling cars in the US since at least 1960 under Nissan and Datsun brands. The last total compensation numbers I saw had Big 3 line workers with almost triple the total compensation of Honda USA. Total compensation is basically the total cost of an employee, including wages, health benefits, etc.

If you had read my post you would note that I do feel the Big 3 are critical to the US economy, and they should be given the loan *IF AND ONLY IF* they can substantially change what they are doing. If they've got a losing business formula, and continue to lose money every quarter as they have done, then it makes no sense to "loan" them $25,000,000,000. Following their current pattern of losses, they would simply burn through those funds, going bankrupt a few months later, and the "loan" would never be repaid. So, no, I don't think it makes sense to give them a huge loan without them showing how they are going to succeed and successfully pay it back.

At least if they reorganize under Chapter 11 they can get out from under the blood-sucking UAW and have labor expenses competitive with those of NA divisions of Honda, Toyota, and Nissan. Then they might actually be able to compete successfully and, get this, *TURN A PROFIT*.

As for the idiotic executive management team that put all of their eggs in the gas-guzzler basket... They already pushed themselves into bankruptcy, so I think it would be foolish to trust them with $25,000,000,000 of our tax dollars.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:10 PM

Question

You obviously have no idea what your are taking about when you say stuff like the above. You really need to open that closed mind....

Have a nice day.

Since you are so wise, please educate me and help me open my mind?

What have I said that is so close minded?

Seriously? . . .
Old 11-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Question

Originally Posted by Nebulous1
. . . in the gas-guzzler basket...

I wish people would stop saying that . . . per the EPA . . .

Chevrolet is the Number 3 fuel efficient car company . .

Mini is Number 1

Honda is Number 2

Guess who is Number 10??? . . . Toyota . . .

So how is GM, to blame for making gas guzzlers???
Old 11-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Since you are a have, do you mind telling me what you do for a living that the Big 3 going under won't cost you a whole lot more than a low interest loan and a very good chance of them pulling out of this. They are in this mess do to NONE of their own doings. The markets are the ones who got us in this. You had no problem giving AIG at least 2 maybe 3 times what the Big 3 are asking for and that wasn't even a loan. What did they do, give each other huge bonuses, take fantastic junkets and laugh at all the fools who pushed for their BAILOUT. And that is what theres is, a bailout. GM's is a LOAN as in what we did when Chyrsler got help way back when and paid back the loan with INTEREST EARLY. So again, I ask you what do you do that this mess won't affect you in the pocketbook cause I can't think of any job in the U.S. that won't be affected somehow. Wait till you see what the Feds will pay out in unemployment to 5 million people that will come partly from you, the pensions that are to be paid, healthcare that will become free for all these people cause they don't have any money, food stamp, more homes forclosed and your house going down even more in value, and as the Feds predict we will be in a DEPRESSION before next year is out so you may not have any money left to pay as all the banks could close and the stock market will be worthless. Also your HHR will be worthless as you won't be able to give it away. My brother was over last night and he is a lawyer for insurance companies and they got together in a meeting and for example if you hit my HHR and it can't be fixed due to no parts avail. they will sue you for the full price of the car. Win or lose it will cost you dearly for your lawyer. So one more time what do you do for a living that you feel you are out of reach of this whole mess?
=======================
And yet they can't make a profit?

So explain exactly how this is MY problem??????

The only commie here seems to be you. Take from those that have and give to those that do nothing.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bigdog9586
Since you are a have, do you mind telling me what you do for a living that the Big 3 going under won't cost you a whole lot more than a low interest loan and a very good chance of them pulling out of this. They are in this mess do to NONE of their own doings. The markets are the ones who got us in this. You had no problem giving AIG at least 2 maybe 3 times what the Big 3 are asking for and that wasn't even a loan. What did they do, give each other huge bonuses, take fantastic junkets and laugh at all the fools who pushed for their BAILOUT. And that is what theres is, a bailout. GM's is a LOAN as in what we did when Chyrsler got help way back when and paid back the loan with INTEREST EARLY. So again, I ask you what do you do that this mess won't affect you in the pocketbook cause I can't think of any job in the U.S. that won't be affected somehow. Wait till you see what the Feds will pay out in unemployment to 5 million people that will come partly from you, the pensions that are to be paid, healthcare that will become free for all these people cause they don't have any money, food stamp, more homes forclosed and your house going down even more in value, and as the Feds predict we will be in a DEPRESSION before next year is out so you may not have any money left to pay as all the banks could close and the stock market will be worthless. Also your HHR will be worthless as you won't be able to give it away. My brother was over last night and he is a lawyer for insurance companies and they got together in a meeting and for example if you hit my HHR and it can't be fixed due to no parts avail. they will sue you for the full price of the car. Win or lose it will cost you dearly for your lawyer. So one more time what do you do for a living that you feel you are out of reach of this whole mess?
=======================
you cant really think this country is that reliant on the big 3?? how old are you? 12 oh,maybe 13? there is a HUGHE difference between giving a loan to AIG anf the 3, if AIG went under it would have been a severe domino affect to all insurance companies. if the big 3 go under, people will simply have to get real jobs that pay normal rates for the job they do. the mess they are in is from the strangle hold of the UAW PERIOD! why is toyota and other foriegn automakers not in trouble? and yes they build a whole hell of alot of thme yotas here in the states, which provides a ton of jobs for americans..
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by dpoll995
you cant really think this country is that reliant on the big 3?? how old are you? 12 oh,maybe 13? there is a HUGHE difference between giving a loan to AIG anf the 3, if AIG went under it would have been a severe domino affect to all insurance companies. if the big 3 go under, people will simply have to get real jobs that pay normal rates for the job they do. the mess they are in is from the strangle hold of the UAW PERIOD! why is toyota and other foriegn automakers not in trouble? and yes they build a whole hell of alot of thme yotas here in the states, which provides a ton of jobs for americans..
Actually if you do a little research instead off talking out of your ass you find the press releases by the other auto makers showing their sales are down as well. One side effect that your closed mind can`t grasp is that if the Big 3 go under so will the parts suppliers that also supply parts to all the other automakers. Do you think any automaker designs and manufactures things like switches,wiring harness,etc all in house? If they go down where are your favored foreign makers going to go for their parts.

Why all the hate for people with real jobs,especially union ones? Whats the matter,we don`t show you enough respect when your bringing in the carts at Wal-Mart?