The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM latest

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:52 AM

GM latest

According to New York Times

"G.M. also said that by 2010 it would phase out its Pontiac brand, eliminate 42 percent of its dealers, close 13 plants and cut 21,000 hourly jobs as part of its revised restructuring plan."

Read entire story here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/bu...o.html?_r=1&hp

JMHO and only my opinion

where are the white collar job cuts.......dont see any salary guys being cut or stated they are being cut, but then again I guess Gm thinks since they are salary they can make them work many hours without paying them more. But they still dont know how to be the worker in the plant.

I thought giving the money to automakers was supposed to help them, but if they are cutting jobs more and more, then i say "welp your laying off big time many many people loosing jobs no money for you" ...... what does it gain to give them money to bail out if they are cutting jobs..... give the bail out money to those that lost there jobs do to mis handling or miss management. and let the car company go belly up.

Just tired of big corporations asking for money, and the little guy, still gets swept out the door...

Can all those fat cats, with NO money, just a pink slip, and lets see how they would survive....no retirement, no health benefits, nothing

just my thoughts...........i had to vent

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 04-27-2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added link to article and moved to front page
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM

I agree with your point on white collar workers. What I don't understand is why cut Pontiac? I thought Pontiac was strong. I would think Buick and GMC would go before Pontiac. Hell GMC trucks is pretty much the same as a Chevy. Why not cut the redundancy before killing a major market. It's truly sad to see the company that produced great cars like the GTO and Trans Am is getting the axe.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:42 AM

Scratch.

Sorry. I said a lot of stuff, but at the risk of starting a major argument. I'm withdrawing my comments. I'll let people believe what they like and try not to get worked up about it. 'Nuff said...
Old 04-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Scratch.

Sorry. I said a lot of stuff, but at the risk of starting a major argument. I'm withdrawing my comments. I'll let people believe what they like and try not to get worked up about it. 'Nuff said...

ok i confused but thats easy to do
Old 04-27-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by mizzouHHR
I agree with your point on white collar workers. What I don't understand is why cut Pontiac? I thought Pontiac was strong. I would think Buick and GMC would go before Pontiac. Hell GMC trucks is pretty much the same as a Chevy. Why not cut the redundancy before killing a major market. It's truly sad to see the company that produced great cars like the GTO and Trans Am is getting the axe.
I believe Buick is making more money than any other GM division. I agree with the GMC but I think they should cut Chevy Trucks and just make them GMC.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:41 PM

GM has cut a lot of white collar jobs all along. They just don't make the headlines in the press as do the factory jobs. White collar workers do not have union reps making public statments when they get cut so they go out quitly and unsee to much of the public.

Pontiac got cut because it was not doing well a perfromance division with only two real performance cars? Buick is making large profits in China and is the top seller there so it is little risk to rebuild them here with the same cars.

GMC is low volume but big profits. Plain and simple they make more money per unit sold than just about anything at GM.

The big problem with this whole deal is too few people know all of what caused this and have a grasp of what is going on. The press really explains nothing for the most and GM and UAW have their own views. The employees have their own view too.

So in and around this we have the truth if you toss out half the claims in each area.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by KinseySS
I believe Buick is making more money than any other GM division. I agree with the GMC but I think they should cut Chevy Trucks and just make them GMC.

That sounds smart but the Chevy name has a lot of equity and they have always out sold GMC. This makes it hard to transfer everything to GMC.

Besides GMC cost little to make out of a Chevy truck and GM makes a premium to make more profit.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
GM has cut a lot of white collar jobs all along. They just don't make the headlines in the press as do the factory jobs. White collar workers do not have union reps making public statments when they get cut so they go out quitly and unsee to much of the public.

Pontiac got cut because it was not doing well a perfromance division with only two real performance cars? Buick is making large profits in China and is the top seller there so it is little risk to rebuild them here with the same cars.

GMC is low volume but big profits. Plain and simple they make more money per unit sold than just about anything at GM.

The big problem with this whole deal is too few people know all of what caused this and have a grasp of what is going on. The press really explains nothing for the most and GM and UAW have their own views. The employees have their own view too.

So in and around this we have the truth if you toss out half the claims in each area.
Don't forget the UAW member $40 an hour janitors.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Don't forget the UAW member $40 an hour janitors

hmm is that with benefits......... still alot cheaper than 2 million or 3 million exec. that made some of those bad decisions...... i said it once, IT COMES FROM BOTH SIDES> cant just blame that janitor.... 40.00 to clean a 2,000 hr ceo......
both sides have to give....... and take blame..
Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

What I just read over on CNN was even though Pontiac sell nearly twice as many cars a Buick does here that Buick generates more profit per vehicle plus Buick is the number one Lux Car in China. People love it there so there is no way GM will give up that market.
==================
Originally Posted by mizzouHHR

Quick Reply: GM latest