The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM latest

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
GM has cut a lot of white collar jobs all along. They just don't make the headlines in the press as do the factory jobs. White collar workers do not have union reps making public statments when they get cut so they go out quitly and unsee to much of the public.
The BIGGEST problem right now with white-collar job cuts, besides the fact that nobody hears about them because none of them complain loud enough to make a noise against the sea of UAW voices, is that the WRONG white-collar jobs are being cut.

Take for example, GMPT in Tonawanda, where my wife (until last Wednesday when she got her walking papers) was employed. Some friends managed to get her the list of people who have been cut. Other than cherry-picking a few low-performers, they cut EVERYONE under the age of 30, regardless of seniority.

99% of those cut were engineers. None of the so-called "support" staff got cut (i.e. executives who make the most money). Of the remaining engineers, they cut some jobs and spread the wealth to all of them.

It's kind of emblematic, in my eyes, when the senior staff at a plant decides to cut ENGINEERS who are paid less than industry average salaries, yet decides to keep a PUBLICITY OFFICER who makes 35% more than those cut, who is thoroughly useless (can't spell, puts out newsletters about things nobody cares about, and is way out of touch with reality. Responsible for a $100/plate charity event last year before the annual car show where participants paid their money to be fed bottles of water and small desserts while looking at cars. Oh yeah, and not only were the workers "encouraged" to volunteer without being able to partake, they didn't even offer anything to the CAR OWNERS!!!).

Okay, rage dump ended. Discuss.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:14 PM

I might also add, it's mighty suspect that suddenly the government is open to forgiving GM's debts in exchange for 50% of its common stock, and that combined with contributions to the UAW retiree medical fund (also in stock) the government and the UAW will own 89% of GM's common stock.

50% government ownership is standard operating procedure in CHINA, people. If they can do this to GM, where does it stop?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by GrotesqueFetus6
you would have SOOOOOOO many "rednecks" getting pissed cuz gm just got rid of chevy trucks. even gmc trucks at that .

on my point thats why i think would happen if they ever cut a truck model

just my thoughts
i had one my 05 sierra gmc truck rode better than my son in laws 05 chevrolet silverado, that were equip alike. same as my gmc envoy rode better than the chevy trailblazer. drove them both down the same rode, lane and speed.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by shadowmom1
Is there any chance Chevy could use a Pontiac model in their line - like the fuel efficient Vibe? It would be a shame for that model to die out. (My son has one and it is a great little car.) I know it is the Toyota Matrix sister car, but I still like to buy American cars.

the vibe replaces the hhr...........hope not..... but with gm one never knows
Old 04-28-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
This problem is more than just the UAW and CEO'S. This is about the lack of change inside GM for years. It is about GM having 17 part numbers for the same roller bearing and paying 17 different prices for it from Federal Mogal from 17 purchasing departments. Could one not do the same for all divisions?

This is about GM being formed form many different companies over the years and never being made to work as one corperation. GM's waste was managable when they owned 50% of the market but at 18% it can't keep on.

You can dwell on the drips in the ocean even though they are managable but the gash in the bow will do you in.
maybe its the so called investmenst buying those companies that gm bought for research etc. that didnt pan out. that were worthless.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM

Is there any chance Chevy could use a Pontiac model in their line - like the fuel efficient Vibe? It would be a shame for that model to die out. (My son has one and it is a great little car.) I know it is the Toyota Matrix sister car, but I still like to buy American cars.
I think if you want one, just buy the Toyota. I see no reason to add yet another small crossover to the Chevrolet lineup.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:05 PM

No Vibe at Chevy as it will compete with the new Orlando Chevy has coming and the HHR that is already there. GM and Toyota will come up with a new car for their agreement and it is to be determind.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
So if GM is going to cut Pontiac is Saturn still doomed? The only car that does not really cross-platform is the Solstice and the Sky. If they kill those lines what is going to happen to those fun little roadsters. It seems like those two cars sold fairly well compared to other makers that make a similar car like the Mazda Miata or Honda S2000.
The Kappa Roadster is done at the end of 2010 they have no plans to move it anywhere.

There was talk of it at Chevy a year or two ago but I would not hold my breath.

The only car to move may be a G8 Police package that will be imported as a Chevy. THey already sell it in the middle east as a Chevy.

The RWD cars would be sold to police departments in fleet sales. THey would import 40,000 a year. Cutting the G8 would result in Holden taking a Billion dollar a year loss.

If thing work right GM could maybe let some come in as a Caprice?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by HHR4JK
maybe its the so called investmenst buying those companies that gm bought for research etc. that didnt pan out. that were worthless.
Thing much more basic and critical caused this. THe money spent on those companies were pennies compared to internal issues. Read up on what really has gone on inside GM in Why GM Matters and you will under stand.

GM was their own worst enemey. The infighting cost them more money and market share than anything Toyota did.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:33 PM

The bottom line is GM is going to lose some very good people. It is not going to be fare for most but it is part of life. Things like this happen and you need to pick up and move on. Life time employment is not a sure thing anymore and is down right rare.

I went through this a the Hoover sweeper company. I was bitter at first now as I drive by the plant they later closed I thank God everytime.

They ended up doing me a favore. I ended up with a very good company and they treat me so much better than most places will.

I also know things can change quick and I may have to start over someday. It will not be fun and it may be panful but you just have to move on and often you will find you will end up in a better opritunity if you keep you mind and options open.

The cold fact of today is companies are in a very competitive global market anymore. There is always someone out their looking to do something cheaper and more profitable. Companies have cut many things. The harsh fact is they are there to make money not employe people. The extras they used to do for the employees have been cut at many places. It is a shame but that is the way it is.

THe best thing to do is take what you have learned and move on as there are better things to be found. Often the limits we have are self inflicted. I did that to myself and have learned better.

Look at most people today that make it. They learn you make your own luck and oppritunities.

Secsessful people are to be learned from. Often someone who came from nothing to make something of themselves has a lot to teach us if we are only willing to learn.

Too often we look at sport figures and entertainers that just fell into it when the real seccessful people are sometimes right around us.

Quick Reply: GM latest