The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM latest

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hyperv6
This is about the lack of change inside GM for years. It is about GM having 17 part numbers for the same roller bearing and paying 17 different prices for it from Federal Mogal from 17 purchasing departments. Could one not do the same for all divisions?

GM has NOT had more than ONE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT in about 10 years. It became TOTALLY CENTRALIZED and all use a commonized, and dedicated electronic/computerized purchasing system.

ALL product related parts are entered into this system WITH THE NEGOTIATED PRICE attached to the part number. Once you query the system and issue a release, the system automatically enters the price per each. This MUST be done, for the invoice/supplier TO GET PAID.

This scenario is either from 10 years ago or something is seriously wrong with the example..
Old 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
GM has NOT had more than ONE PURCHASING DEPARTMENT in about 10 years. It became TOTALLY CENTRALIZED and all use a commonized, and dedicated electronic/computerized purchasing system.

ALL product related parts are entered into this system WITH THE NEGOTIATED PRICE attached to the part number. Once you query the system and issue a release, the system automatically enters the price per each. This MUST be done, for the invoice/supplier TO GET PAID.

This scenario is either from 10 years ago or something is seriously wrong with the example..
You will have to ask the author of the book.

I would say it was from a while back as it was a Federal Mogul rep that stated this and they have had their own issues for the last 10 years to.

But the point is how GM has not worked as one corpertation for years. Just look at the over lap in many areas and inter fighting. GM has cost themselves more money and problems than Toyota, Honda and Ford combined.

Look at how often Pontiac has had some good ideas and cars only to get them stopped by GM. THey has OHC in the early 60 on a V8 and were stopped at the L6 OHC. THey wanted radials and disc brakes as far back as 1965 and were stopped. THey wanted Fuel injection and were stopped. I could go on. GM could have been the leader and chose to follow.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

I agree with your analysis....i.e, the infighting. Seen it.

But, if the author had to use a scenario from 10 years ago to illustrate his position/statement, it seriously "dents" his credibility. That is just NOT done or acceptable by anyone's standards.....unless of course he prefaced and noted the time period.

Do remember he is a financial reporter and they (financial people) have TRIED to run GM for 40 years.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:42 AM

As far as Pontiac, I think it should die. It's been years since Pontiac has had anything that wasn't a rebadge of something else. The "excitement" has ended.

For Chevy verses GMC trucks.... Yes there are small differances. But that could be achieved with the same brand. Just like with the HHR, LS, 1LT, & 2LT. Small differances, but still the same basically. So they should drop one or the other. I doubt any diehard Chevy truck fan would buy a Toyota just cause he has to buy a GMC verses a Chevy.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 PM

Well, it looks like the economy is taking it's toll in my town (as far as GM is concerned) I was up at the dealer today and I noticed trucks are loading up all of the cars that they have... Looks like they must be going under. No one in the service dept. seemed too concerned, they were going about with their business. Either way, I will be taking the HHR in tomorrow for my free oil change before I lose out on it. (It is due anyways, but I was just going to do it myself)

It's a shame...they did a good job with the service, and we've bought most of our cars from them.... But it looked like it was coming for some time. They only sell Chevrolet now since another dealer in town bought their Buick sales out...

It's a shame...but it's going to be happening a lot soon...