The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM sues steering column manufacturer

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 PM

GM sues steering column manufacturer

I found this a bit interesting. GM is apparently having so much trouble with the steering columns in our HHR and other models that they're suing the supplier:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...0,584345.story
Old 11-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Just saw that on the evening news...very interesting!
Old 11-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

GM sues supplier over steering woes
Cobalt, other small cars from 2005 on are affected
Topics
Plymouth
General Motors Corp.
Automotive Equipment
See more topics »
XCar Repair and Maintenance Tips By Ed White

Associated Press

1:44 p.m. CST, November 23, 2009
E-mail Print Share Text Size

DETROIT -- General Motors Co. has sued a supplier, saying it has spent more than $30 million fixing problems in the steering systems of the Chevrolet Cobalt, its best-selling small car, and other vehicles.

GM said customers have complained about unusual rattles, "clunks" and other noises. It pinpointed the flaw to "excessive gear backlash," which causes problems in the steering column under certain driving conditions.

The lawsuit names JTEKT North America Inc., based in Plymouth, Mich., and an affiliated company, JTEKT Automotive Virginia Inc. of Daleville, Va.

GM said it wants to be paid for replacing thousands of parts under customer warranty claims on the Cobalt, Pursuit, G5, HHR and other cars, starting with 2005 model year.

By fall, the cost had exceeded $30 million, and "GM's damages are expected to continue to increase as additional warranty claims are made," the automaker's lawsuit said.

"JTEKT contends the components all met the specifications and testing requirements that GM gave it," said Bob Haddad, a lawyer for the supplier. "The issues do not affect the operator's ability to control the vehicle. This is a noise issue."

Changes were made at GM's request, and JTEKT continues to provide steering assemblies, Haddad said Monday.

The steering systems are in tens of thousands of GM cars. Court papers do not indicate whether the company considers this a safety issue. A GM spokesman, Alan Adler, had no immediate comment.

The lawsuit was filed in August in Macomb County Circuit Court, amended there in October and moved Nov. 17 to federal court in Detroit.

The Cobalt is GM's best-selling small car and its highest-mileage vehicle. The company sold 90,940 Cobalts through October, but sales are down 46 percent from the same period in 2008.

The car, built in Lordstown, Ohio, is due to be replaced next year by the Chevrolet Cruze, which GM promises will get around 40 miles per gallon on the highway and be competitive with the best small cars in the world.

Well, at least it's only reported to be a "Noise issue"

"JTEKT contends the components all met the specifications and testing requirements that GM gave it," said Bob Haddad, a lawyer for the supplier. "The issues do not affect the operator's ability to control the vehicle. This is a noise issue."

Changes were made at GM's request, and JTEKT continues to provide steering assemblies, Haddad said Monday.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 AM

I think for most that experienced the problem(myself included on the 06 I had), it was primarily a noise issue. But it is an expensive fix for GM!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 AM

Even so, a new car should not have noise issues, and the parts they make for GM should not clunk and rattle.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:05 AM

Good to know something was done, and the newer parts were corrected.
Now, maybe they will do something about the front end bushings?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by prod
Good to know something was done, and the newer parts were corrected.
Now, maybe they will do something about the front end bushings?
I thought they did? My mom's cousin works at a Buick/GMC dealer, and he was talking about it, and I thought he said they corrected it...

But I could very well be wrong.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:36 PM

Unhappy HHR noises

Hi boys, Im from Monterrey Mexico, sometimes I read the posts here because I have a 2008 HHR 2.4 LT, automatic golden color, I think I have both issues in my hhr, the front end bushings noise and the steering column noise, Do you know something about how to fix it and how much? I love my HHR since I saw her, but i dont like that noises, I have no warranty due I make the maintenance in my HHR (only the best products) and im the second owner, so i need another solution,
have a nice year.
thanks
Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Banned

All the more reason to start making that stuff in-house again. Never had a problem with the old collapsible columns for thirty years, other than they were incredibly easy to crack and hack the ignition with. A $30,000,000 warranty campaign is huge for just ONE part.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM

What a timely thread, I took my panel in for a final warranty visit as I am at 32600k. I had a few rattles and just thought I would get it checked on their dime. I was blown away when I picked it up and told me they had replaced the steering column. Same day service too, they must have had one in stock. They checked the whole front suspension and the column was all they replaced. I could tell the difference right away with the new column. No more rattle and tight like day one again. I am very glad I had it checked out, I am sure it would have been a big buck repair if I had to pay for it.

Quick Reply: GM sues steering column manufacturer