The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM

thats American bussiness and why it is falling apart
Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by SHADOW(IN)
Chevrolet has asked employiees to no longer use the name " CHEVY " what's up with that ??

I think its ridiculous. Chevrolet will always be Chevy.... no matter what the folks at GM want.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 AM

It's a marketing/branding thing.

A major part of GM's reconstruction is to revamp brands that have not been Axed.

People for the most part with say Chevy, BUT for those who work for GM and I am willing to wager the franchised dealerships are going to be directed to say the name correctly.

It only effects the employees.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/06/10/f...-to-say-chevy/
Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM

I am going to go to my CHEVY dealer and see if the say welcome to pat O'Brien Chevrolet or pat O'Brien Chevy
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 PM

Yep I here they will send out the Black Suburbans to get you if you say the Chevy name. Not!

Please do not make this into what some are trying to do. For the most those who complain have no idea of the whole picture here.

GM is only making the change internally as if some did not know the real name of the division is Chevrolet.

The key here is GM is now marketing Chevrolet world wide and not just in North America. They are in China, the Middle east, South America. Africa, India, Russia and Europe. All of these other markets are Chevrolet. They are just getting there marketing on one page. I don't believe GM ever used Chevy till the 70's for advertising. Note they were "see the USA in a Chevrolet" for years in the 50's and 60's.

You can call it Chevy all you like as this is only an internal GM deal that some people have blown way out of proportion.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:01 PM

I think its dumb. How much money are they gonna spend on this idea? Guess someone better change the websites name and address..... lol. Next on the list.. Obama will tell people to stop referring to the country as U.S.A. Its the United States of America. Hell whats England, U.K., or Britain called today? If anything they need to change their names so the whole island is called one thing. Chevy is in the blood.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:03 PM

Another dumb idea just like taking the GM chicklets off of the newer cars
Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM

If the name Chevrolet means so damn much, why didn't they put it on the HHR??
Old 06-10-2010, 08:56 PM

Folks nothing has changed Chevrolet was Chevrolet and never offically Chevy in the first place.

It is not going to cost great deals of money.

I hate Obama but I can not blaime him for this.

If you want to call it Chevy you still can and no one will curse you.

It will just be the full name spelled out on all print and media nothing more.

GM for the most part already used Chevrolet on most of the things they did anyway and a Reporter made a big deal out of a small thing.

GM has not put Chevy on any vehicles in history. They have not used the full name on anything but trucks for years.

The bigger deal is they can't make a bow tie for years that is the sybol of the company that does not look like crap after 3 years.

So please do not fall for the media hype and make this any bigger of a deal than it is. There are many in the media that are taking kick backs and also could profit with GM in turmoil. The Toronto Star was well know to be taking money and kick backs from Toyota over the years. Many on the GM web sites call them the Toyota Star.

Too often the media likes to make the news as they are struggling. That is the case here.

Quick Reply: GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname