The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Folks nothing has changed Chevrolet was Chevrolet and never offically Chevy in the first place.

It is not going to cost great deals of money.

I hate Obama but I can not blaime him for this.

If you want to call it Chevy you still can and no one will curse you.

It will just be the full name spelled out on all print and media nothing more.

GM for the most part already used Chevrolet on most of the things they did anyway and a Reporter made a big deal out of a small thing.

GM has not put Chevy on any vehicles in history. They have not used the full name on anything but trucks for years.

The bigger deal is they can't make a bow tie for years that is the sybol of the company that does not look like crap after 3 years.

So please do not fall for the media hype and make this any bigger of a deal than it is. There are many in the media that are taking kick backs and also could profit with GM in turmoil. The Toronto Star was well know to be taking money and kick backs from Toyota over the years. Many on the GM web sites call them the Toyota Star.

Too often the media likes to make the news as they are struggling. That is the case here.
Yes the media is blowing this way out. It is just for their media branding you will not see Chevy Truck month it will be Chevrolet on all print and and references from GM. They are not killing the shortened term and people are free to use but employees must refer to it as chevrolet when dealing with customers.

It is still kind of Silly IMO as I cannot think of anyone that would be confused on the full name and the shortened name and think it is two brands or something. If they are they just landed on this planet or have been in a coma for the past 100 years.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
Yes the media is blowing this way out. It is just for their media branding you will not see Chevy Truck month it will be Chevrolet on all print and and references from GM. They are not killing the shortened term and people are free to use but employees must refer to it as chevrolet when dealing with customers.

It is still kind of Silly IMO as I cannot think of anyone that would be confused on the full name and the shortened name and think it is two brands or something. If they are they just landed on this planet or have been in a coma for the past 100 years.
Before you and everyone else call this dumb or silly there may be more in play than you really know.

We already know that the Caprice is coming this fall as a RWD LWB Zeta.
We also know that the Impala is coming back in 2014 as a larger FWD than the Malibu.

We also have a good clue that Chevolet will be giving us a SWB RWD Zeta sedan as a SS. Some word is has been leaked it will be named a Chevy SS as was the show car in 2003.

This car is sold as a Lumina SS now in some parts of the middle east. We all know the Lumina name would not work well here on a RWD car. Also with the Impala already taken Caprice SS would not work well either.

Some insiders are saying that this may be a hint that the new car is going to use the CHevy handle similar to the Chevy II or Heavy Chevy cars.

You could not call it the Chevy Chevy SS. But you could call it the Chevrolet Chevy SS.

We all need to consider we do not have the whole picture here yet.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Before you and everyone else call this dumb or silly there may be more in play than you really know.....
I meant no disrespect and I wasnt calling anyone here dumb or silly. I was just trying to say that it seems silly for GM to drop the Chevy Nickname but like you said they may have a bigger plan that they are not revealing yet. If anyone is silly it is the news and media because they take information like this and use it to fuel propaganda and get people all worked up. They do this with everything.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member

Wonder what they would think of me calling mine a "chebby" ?

Kinda like saying to not call a Harley Davidson a Harley..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:33 PM

GM has not put Chevy on any vehicles in history.
Huh?
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Huh?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:59 PM

GM has not put Chevy on any vehicles in history.
Whoops!
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 AM

Dumb, silly, crazy,, Really??? Look at all the media play it's getting. Ever heard of ,,Dumb like a fox? All this free press is............priceless.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Whoops!
Something here not sold in some third world country.

There are two cased I can recall that they did so let me help you.

Heavy Chevy trim package on the Chevelle and the Chevy II the car that kind of started the unoffical name back in the early 60's.

Either way they were only models and not the offical term for the GM division.

What it boils down to is unless you do media print or own a dealer nothing has changed.

But I do figure there is an angry mod at some trailer park rec hall that is upset that their tattoos are no longer current.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by bobiroc
I meant no disrespect and I wasnt calling anyone here dumb or silly. I was just trying to say that it seems silly for GM to drop the Chevy Nickname but like you said they may have a bigger plan that they are not revealing yet. If anyone is silly it is the news and media because they take information like this and use it to fuel propaganda and get people all worked up. They do this with everything.
No problem as it was not directed to anyone here.

Just the news has made this something few people would have ever noticed into a big deal that is really not a big deal with incomplete or inaccurate reporting.

Then the public over reacts and make takes this to where it would have never gone.

Quick Reply: GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname