The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
Huh?
Fair shot but but remeber that car was made by Chevrolet as the Chevrolet Chevy II. Or was it a Chevy Chevy II.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Then the public over reacts and make takes this to where it would have never gone.
Isn't this the way the media works? Just sayin'
Old 06-11-2010, 06:44 AM

Overall, public perception is what matters and it seems that perception is that this was stupid. BTW, whoever thought of the idea of calling anything a Chevrolet Chevy was pretty stupid as well Some people will be Chevy/GM diehards and will try to defend anything/everything which to me seems more ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaQXQmkMFGc
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 AM

It appears that GM has changed their overall posture on the usage of the "Chevy" name and have issued a correction memo allowing (us) the general public and customers to continue to use the name Chevy if we so desire. That was nice of them to "allow" us that freedom. I would much rather see General Motors loose the association of GM with that of General Motors. I never liked the term GM anyway. GMC isn't bad, but GM sound just seems to short and abreviated. Mind as well be real stupid sounding and just use "G". Oh well there are greater things to fret about and agonize over besides whether it's Chevy or not.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by harleysshhr
I would much rather see General Motors loose the association of GM with that of General Motors. I never liked the term GM anyway. GMC isn't bad, but GM sound just seems to short and abreviated. Might as well be real stupid sounding and just use "G".
That has already been taken by Gatorade
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by steven&cat
Dumb, silly, crazy,, Really??? Look at all the media play it's getting. Ever heard of ,,Dumb like a fox? All this free press is............priceless.
That's exactly what I was thinking. What better way to get the American public using the names Chevy and Chevrolet than to stir up controversy. I guarantee you that even many Toyota and Honda diehards who grew up with Chevys in the family have an opinion on this. It may not make them buy one, but it keeps the names in front of people.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:20 PM

It just amazes me that they have people sitting around thinking of stuff like this. That was my whole thing with the Obama remark posted in an earlier post, not blaming him, but making fun of his decisions. I agree with Harley, lets drop the GM name because of all the bad press about GMs and C.E.O.s of companies we don't want people getting them mixed up with the awesome cars of General Motors like my SS. :)
Old 06-11-2010, 05:37 PM

Something else to consider is GM has a new marketing man who has been known to do some dramatic things like this to get the name Chevy all over the media. He then plays it up and then makes a move to put all things right once the word is out.

Note that they gave the Detroit Pitcher last week a new Vette and reaped millions in print and air time.

This guy did similar things at Hyundai where if you notice got them noticed.

Trust me there is more in play here.

I would think people should be more upset that few Chevys even have not had the name Chevrolet on them for years. That to me is something really to get upset about vs a dealer having to change their web site address to Chevrolet vs Chevy.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
There are two cased I can recall that they did so let me help you.

Heavy Chevy trim package on the Chevelle and the Chevy II the car that kind of started the unoffical name back in the early 60's.

Either way they were only models and not the offical term for the GM division.

And I could go on and on.....
Chevrolet has referred to themselves as 'Chevy' often enough that this move makes them look thick headed at best.

Quick Reply: GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname