The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM

I wonder what Chevy Chase has to say about this....

And would he be ALLOWED to buy a CHEVROLET?
Old 06-13-2010, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by mongo

And I could go on and on.....
Chevrolet has referred to themselves as 'Chevy' often enough that this move makes them look thick headed at best.

The bottom line is what is the name on the dealer sign?

Yes they have used it here and there but not as often as the real name.

The fact is if the NY Time had not posted this story no one would have even notived the few small changes there will be.

It amazes me that so many get over stressed over a small move like this.

Chevy Chases will now have to be Ford Chase as his last couple movies stunk so bad Chevrolet had to stop using the name.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by mongo

And I could go on and on.....
Chevrolet has referred to themselves as 'Chevy' often enough that this move makes them look thick headed at best.

The bottom line is what is the name on the dealer sign?

Yes they have used it here and there but not as often as the real name.

The fact is if the NY Time had not posted this story no one would have even notived the few small changes there will be.

It amazes me that so many get over stressed over a small move like this.

See the USA in your Cheverolet and 90% of most of their advertising has been Chevrolet. Even the examples you give the name Chevrolet appears more often in the advertising. Even the Company name is not Chevy Motor Division.

Oh well this will pass and few will remember this in a couple weeks any way.

Chevy Chases will now have to be Ford Chase as his last couple movies stunk so bad Chevrolet had to stop using the name.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:00 AM

No one is suggesting, or even thinking, that the 'official' name for the division is, was, or should be 'Chevy'.

Let's say I was born 'Robert'. At some point in time my parents and friends start calling me 'Bobby'. I even introduce myself as 'Bobby' many times. Now in adulthood, I decide I want to be called 'Robert'. I chastise friends and family members who call me 'Bobby', and insist they call me 'Robert'. This likely won't make anyone feel warm towards me, and more likely will make them think I am an arrogant SOB.

The point is, nicknames are friendly, whether for people or cars. Insisting on a formal name puts up a small psychological wall- one that GM does not need to be building right now.

I'll bet in 6 months, dealers will be selling 'Chevys' to their customers as much as 'Chevrolets'.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM

I wouldn't feel warm about someone calling me Bobby.

"Mike"
Old 06-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Guys,

You do know that GM OFFICIALLY renounced this article.

It was an API story in my local paper 2 days ago. AS usual, this was a BIG misunderstanding by the media, according to GM's statement in the article. They also admittted their (GM's) memo was poorly worded.

Just noticed the second reference post by smooth indicates this.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Guys,

You do know that GM OFFICIALLY renounced this article.

It was an API story in my local paper 2 days ago. AS usual, this was a BIG misunderstanding by the media, according to GM's statement in the article. They also admittted their (GM's) memo was poorly worded.

Just noticed the second reference post by smooth indicates this.
To reiteriate:

Followup: GM says feel free to say 'Chevy' *UPDATE

Were you one of the many that thought the apocalypse must be nigh for General Motors to suggest that we should stop referring to Chevrolet as 'Chevy'?" Yeah, we understand. After all, the nickname is as American as baseball and apple pie... or something like that.

With that in mind, GM has issued a clarification on its official Facebook page as well as in an official statement (available after the jump), blaming a "poorly worded memo" for the kerfuffle. Further, GM seeks to reassure the masses that they are free to refer to Chevrolet as Chevy if they so choose (whew!). Says The General, "In fact, we like when people call it "Chevy." It reflects 100 years of history and connection with the American People."

So, it would seem that we can call off the dogs, so to speak. But we feel obliged to make one thing clear – Do not expect General Motors to refer to its most popular marque as 'Chevy' moving forward:
In global markets, we are establishing a significant presence for Chevrolet, and need to move toward a consistent brand name for advertising and marketing purposes. The memo in question was one step in that process.

So... has this been much ado about nothing, or are you still miffed? Check out the release after the jump, and then have your say in 'Comments.'

*UPDATE: GM social media spokesperson Joe LaMuraglia has confirmed via Twitter that GM "will use Chevrolet in our branding and messaging for brand consistency."

[Source: Chevrolet Facebook]
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlackknighT
I wouldn't feel warm about someone calling me Bobby.

"Mike"
OK, Mikey.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Chevy no more

That's worse than silly, that's stupid. If they don't want that name anymore they can give it to me. Jack
Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 AM

I saw a commercial this morning as I was getting ready for work...not once did they say Chevrolet. They said Chevy like 5 times in the last 15 sec. Pretty amusing after reading the inital story.

Quick Reply: GM trying to drop "Chevy" nickname