The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Workers go out on Strike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by misterjensen
Just my opinion, but I think it might be a good idea for the moderators to move this thread to "The Lounge" area of these forums. We really got off the topic of "General HHR". Again, just my opinion.
Good point

Here's a link to the strike settlement news:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=3651761
Old 09-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Moved
Old 09-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
I think it brought out true colors on some.
That's the understatement of the year right there
Old 09-26-2007, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
That's the understatement of the year right there
I just heard from a UAW worker over on GMI they got a $11000 strike bonus to boot.

He was bragging about this and *****ing about his work enviroment at the same time.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Read the thread and you will have the answer to your first question.
I re-read the thread. The only thing I found was that you're some kind of salesman that gets paid $10 an hour plus commission. Real hard workin' fella there.

$30 and hour plus $10 an hour bennys. = $40 an hour. x 40 x 52 weeks + $83,000 per year total compensation not to mention the employer's portion of Social Security. Tack on only $4 in benefits and you still have $70K a year. Thats the average income for someone with a Master's Degree. Median household income is less then $50k. How is it you believe someone installing speakers in a Chevy truck should earn more then $50k a year???
$30 an hour is the high end of seniority. The only money the worker sees is $30 an hour. I still don't know where you're getting any of these numbers from, so I can only assume you're still pulling them out of your ass. BTW, I know plenty of people who have master's degrees that make less than $50k a year. It's the job, not the degree.

I have nothing against earning a decent living. Where we part ways is the definition of decent living. Unions have ruined companies and thus employees.
Companies are forced to go overseas for cheap labor just to compete. Toyota Pays their American employees LESS then American companies. Yet 70% do not want a union.
Sure you do. You stick your nose up at people who have to get their hands dirty to make a living. 70% of Toyota workers don't want a union because they get most of the same pay and benefits and want to KEEP their jobs rather than being run off with the other union organizers.

The teacher's union is ruining the education system, The Airlines had to restructure. ATC union got busted.
No, the government is ruining the education system, not the union. Airlines had to restructure because their old business models of hub-based transport with thousands of needless flights per day were forcing them into bankruptcy.

You don't want to make a "decent living". you want to earn as much as an MBA on a High School education and feel ENTITLED to it.
I happen to have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and a Juris Doctor. I make less than $40,000 a year defending indigent people in rural Missouri. The only time my hands ever get dirty is when I shake one of my client's hands after court. The only entitlement I ever expected was a decent health insurance and retirement package.

Reality Bites....Hard
Yeah, and it sounds like you've never had to experience reality.

This is not the 50's. The economic impact to the nation is baely a blip if GM goes under. WHy? Because the same base of cars will be sold except they will be made by other workers for other companies. Ford and Chrysler will fill the gap as well as the Am/Japanese workers.
You seriously have no clue what you're talking about. Go take an Econ course over at the junior college. GM puts enough cash back into the GDP that the entire economy could be thrust into recession if they go under. There are suppliers for Chrysler, Ford, and yes, Toyota, that would go under without GM around.

If I were you I would give Michael Moore a call. He might help out.
Mr. Moore has already done enough damage. I wouldn't call him for a cup of dirt.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:21 PM

I read an article about the contract resolution and production lines firing up again this afternoon.

I'll be honest, part of me really want this to drag on for a couple of weeks or more. I have great sympathy for many of the people who would have been affected in a negative way but I would have liked to have seen the impact a strike of such magnitude would have had on the auto industry, GM, the american economy and so on.

Without fully going through something like this for a drawn out period of time one can only speculate on the ramifications.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Tell me, "Kingfrog", what is it that you do that is soooo damn important that you have the right to stick your big-ass nose up in the air and look down on people trying to make a decent living?

I'd still love to know where this $83,000 a year figure is coming from, although it's probably something else you've managed to pull out of your ass.
Thank GOD the cavalry arrived!
Old 09-26-2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kingfrog
Read the thread and you will have the answer to your first question.

$30 and hour plus $10 an hour bennys. = $40 an hour. x 40 x 52 weeks + $83,000 per year total compensation not to mention the employer's portion of Social Security. Tack on only $4 in benefits and you still have $70K a year. Thats the average income for someone with a Master's Degree. Median household income is less then $50k. How is it you believe someone installing speakers in a Chevy truck should earn more then $50k a year???

I have nothing against earning a decent living. Where we part ways is the definition of decent living. Unions have ruined companies and thus employees.
Companies are forced to go overseas for cheap labor just to compete. Toyota Pays their American employees LESS then American companies. Yet 70% do not want a union.

The teacher's union is ruining the education system, The Airlines had to restructure. ATC union got busted.

You don't want to make a "decent living". you want to earn as much as an MBA on a High School education and feel ENTITLED to it.

Reality Bites....Hard

This is not the 50's. The economic impact to the nation is baely a blip if GM goes under. WHy? Because the same base of cars will be sold except they will be made by other workers for other companies. Ford and Chrysler will fill the gap as well as the Am/Japanese workers.

If I were you I would give Michael Moore a call. He might help out.
90% of the people with a Masters cant tie their own shoes let alone Install a speaker(I'm exaggerating of course)!!! No offense anyone. People who get educations excel on books and in an office not on an assembly line or a construction site. Are you telling me a carpenter doesnt earn his 45 an hour. Or a plumber doesnt earn his 50 an hour. Or an electrician doesnt earn his 45 an hour? These people have a talent that most people can only look on at with awe. Did you know that a good body and fender repair man can gross over $100k a year? Its art to watch a guy take a wrecked car and massage it to like new condition. Your whole argument about a simple piece of paper (Degree) doesnt make sence to me. I'd love to hand you my machine at work and then have you grade a road, level a pile, load 4000 tons of material into dump trucks, AND run the crane. You'd see exactly why skilled labor or Tradesmen earn what they earn. Your oversimplifying their jobs and that is where your hung up.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Thank god they ratified the contract.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chris'sHHR
90% of the people with a Masters cant tie their own shoes let alone Install a speaker(I'm exaggerating of course)!!! No offense anyone. People who get educations excel on books and in an office not on an assembly line or a construction site. Are you telling me a carpenter doesnt earn his 45 an hour. Or a plumber doesnt earn his 50 an hour. Or an electrician doesnt earn his 45 an hour? These people have a talent that most people can only look on at with awe. Did you know that a good body and fender repair man can gross over $100k a year? Its art to watch a guy take a wrecked car and massage it to like new condition. Your whole argument about a simple piece of paper (Degree) doesnt make sence to me. I'd love to hand you my machine at work and then have you grade a road, level a pile, load 4000 tons of material into dump trucks, AND run the crane. You'd see exactly why skilled labor or Tradesmen earn what they earn. Your oversimplifying their jobs and that is where your hung up.
Too right.

Quick Reply: GM Workers go out on Strike...