The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Workers go out on Strike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chris'sHHR
90% of the people with a Masters cant tie their own shoes let alone Install a speaker(I'm exaggerating of course)!!! No offense anyone. People who get educations excel on books and in an office not on an assembly line or a construction site. Are you telling me a carpenter doesnt earn his 45 an hour. Or a plumber doesnt earn his 50 an hour. Or an electrician doesnt earn his 45 an hour? These people have a talent that most people can only look on at with awe. Did you know that a good body and fender repair man can gross over $100k a year? Its art to watch a guy take a wrecked car and massage it to like new condition. Your whole argument about a simple piece of paper (Degree) doesnt make sence to me. I'd love to hand you my machine at work and then have you grade a road, level a pile, load 4000 tons of material into dump trucks, AND run the crane. You'd see exactly why skilled labor or Tradesmen earn what they earn. Your oversimplifying their jobs and that is where your hung up.

I've done it, as a method of income, also. It's tough, but don't kid yourself. It's not on the level of the electician or plumber.....or for that matter, the guy/girl who designs the valve body of your car (I think they're called engineers and they need to have that paper, you're making fun of).

But and besides.....I think most were criticizing the UNION AUTO WORKER....not you.

I think I'll quit here also. This is getting stupid (NOT THE PEOPLE), just the continual arguement that proves nothing.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:20 PM

I didn't take it as him making fun of a degree, or even demeaning its importance. I think he was just trying to make a point that people who do this other work, that doesn't always require degrees, is no less important or difficult than education-induced careers.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by chadpuska
i was reading this on another new site, possibly haltind operation in mexico

"The strike halted operations at 80 facilities, ranging from assembly lines to parts distribution centers, in 30 states coast-to-coast. It also is likely to soon stop operations at GM plants in Canada and Mexico that depend on production from U.S. facilities, as well as the plants of many GM suppliers."
Chadpuska....you do know the strike is essentially settled????
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

yea jus saw that
Old 09-26-2007, 04:38 PM

ONCE AND FOR ALL ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/...I4zjeyNG.s0NUE

This article ends the mystery of what GM's UAW workers make per hour in pay and benefits, ON AVERAGE.

13th paragraph:
GM said the contract will make it significantly more competitive. The company, which lost $2 billion last year and is in the midst of a restructuring, went into the negotiations seeking to cut or erase what it said is about a $25-per-hour labor cost disparity with the U.S. employees of Japanese competitors. GM has said it pays workers $73.26 an hour in wages and benefits.

Last edited by Desert Coyote; 09-26-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you....
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM

I find it rather pompus of all of us to judge these workers. If we have done the job or know them, then we have some rights to make comments. But to armchair general like we are doing in this thread is pointless.

I don't like to make judgments unless I have lived it or reall know someone who has. Then I feel better about chiming in. I know no auto workers, but plenty of repair people.

How much are any of us worth to each other? Looks like little in this divided pissed-off land......

We are taught in school to tend to our flock and maximize our profit and earning potential, even at the expense of others. Perhaps both sides of this argument, employees and management are guilty of this.

Anyway, they settled and we will continue to do what we do best, make the US auto industry go bust and buy more Toyotas and such. Well, at least Toyota and Honda do employ Americans even though the money for the higherups likely goes out of the country.
Doom and gloom., sigh...............sigh..........%&^#$@@!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:50 AM

At $73.26/hr wages and benefits that works out to $152,380/year for a 40 hr work week. No wonder the HHR was built in Mexico.

Of course this is an average. When you add in the CEO's and other higher ups salary of $10,000,000 per year it does move the average up there.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM

(Quote) GM said the contract will make it significantly more competitive. The company, which lost $2 billion last year and is in the midst of a restructuring, went into the negotiations seeking to cut or erase what it said is about a $25-per-hour labor cost disparity with the U.S. employees of Japanese competitors. GM has said it pays workers $73.26 an hour in wages and benefits.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:38 PM

I have job security. I work in healthcare. Always going to need Dr's, nurses, and idiots like me to push your insurance so you don't have to pay for anything but you're copays!

Quick Reply: GM Workers go out on Strike...