The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Workers go out on Strike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

This could be posted in several different threads because it does answer/discuss several different issues. But, I did find the posted information on the HHR interesting. It appears, as discussed, the HHR could be affected by the strike AND the dealers have the LARGEST inventories of the HHR, over other posted vehicles.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070924/20070924006387.html?.v=1
Old 09-24-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
also here...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/09/24/t...lly-on-strike/

Anyone know if this also means the NY plant that builts the Ecotec is on strike?
YES. My wife got stuck sitting at her desk doing NOTHING all day because of the strike. They are currently picketing out on River Road in front of the plant (no violence, though, and I gotta tell you, when these guys strike it ain't nothing like when Michigan strikes ... the picket line here looks almost civil!).
Old 09-24-2007, 04:54 PM

I have no sympathy for the UAW. The auto workers have lived High on the Hog for decades, but the workplace has changed over the years and they can't face it. There is little "Job Security" anymore. These people have been so overpaid for so many years, for what they actually do, it's ridiculous! By going on strike they might be just shooting themselves in the foot. If they continue for very long they could be just sending that many more car buyers to foreign car dealerships.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:18 PM

I was reading that the average Mexican auto worker makes $3.50 plus benefits while the average American auto worker makes $27.00 plus benefits. I also read in an older article that GM is building another big plant in Mexico which is to open in 2008. Thank you UAW for driving jobs out of our country. How many more will be lost?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 PM

I wrote a term paper for an Economics class in 1994 about how unions served a purpose in the past but have ruined any gains by getting greedy. I agree that auto workers make way too much money for what they do. Besides, now many are simply watching robots to make sure they do the job properly. I work for the federal government and even we don't have much job security any more.

Wake up UAW! Be happy you have a good paying job!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Unions were great when you worked 12 hours a day on an assembly line surrounded by sharp metal objects and machines that could take your head off if used improperly, there was no health or life insurance available for employees, no sick time, no retirement benefits, and absolutely zero job security.

I guess no one needs that stuff anymore, and as evidenced by the foreign car manufacturers, one can sure trust the companies to provide all those benefits without having to have the union around.

I'd challenge anyone here to work on a line for 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week, around machinery that is both precise and deadly if used improperly. The only reason why there is no job security in this country is because no one has the balls to stand up and demand respect anymore. Sniveling little yuppies who drive their Toyotas and Hondas everyday to work hoping that Lumberg won't make them move their office down to storage B and take a pay cut because it's good for the company.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Unions were great when you worked 12 hours a day on an assembly line surrounded by sharp metal objects and machines that could take your head off if used improperly, there was no health or life insurance available for employees, no sick time, no retirement benefits, and absolutely zero job security.

I guess no one needs that stuff anymore, and as evidenced by the foreign car manufacturers, one can sure trust the companies to provide all those benefits without having to have the union around.
The problem with this argument (no offense, please don't behead me because of this) is that it assumes that there are no controls in place for worker safety, health care and retirement. Most (if not all) companies, whether unionized or not, tend to supply these types of services, either via their own resources or with assistance from the federal government (the biggest government resource, in this case, is OSHA). The problem with the UAW's primary argument in this strike, that they're striking for job security, is huge: unless they accept some cuts and try to work with GM, there won't be any jobs to secure. (Some market analysts are already saying a prolonged strike will be "fatal" to GM) The union brass seem to be running under the false assumption that we're still in the 1980's and GM is made of money (as opposed to being in the 2000's and GM hemmorhaging money).

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that in the earlier part of the industrial 20th Century, the unionization of labor was, fundamentally, a good idea. Unfortunately, the leadership looks like it's forgotten about its origins, and instead has resorted to bullying tactics to get what they want: it's stopped being about the workers, and is instead now about intimidation, greed and power. I mean, I don't know about you, but ... I think I'd rather work without a contract for the money the typical UAW worker earns per hour (which, over the course of a week, can add up to over a thousand dollars) than strike for the UAW weekly stipend of $200 (which, if the strike goes longer than 80 days, will dry up). My perspective: my wife, a master's candidate engineer, makes $20,000 LESS than the average line worker in her plant (some up here make six figures in a year, and I believe the average is about $80K); the best week I ever got paid, as a retail manager occasionally working 60 hours, was $500/week.

And one more thing ...

Growing up in Michigan, I've seen strikes. I've seen the workers who do the striking. I've also seen what those workers *do* after a successful strike. The point of organized labor has been completely lost.

WARNING! This is only my opinion, NOT GOSPEL!!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
I was reading that the average Mexican auto worker makes $3.50 plus benefits while the average American auto worker makes $27.00 plus benefits. I also read in an older article that GM is building another big plant in Mexico which is to open in 2008. Thank you UAW for driving jobs out of our country. How many more will be lost?
I think you are a little short on the $27.00+ benefits. The last time I read a article a couple years ago it was more like $92.00 including benefits.
The retirees were getting $5200.00 per month+ free health care. and cost of living raises.
The UAW now controls the pension funds and the health care for the retirees and can do as they want with the billions that are on the books and the federal government has to back it if anything happens to the funds.
I can just see it now the union will use the money to back political candidates
in the millions of dollars telling the members it will be for there own good.
Yeah right. NOT

Alan
Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

hire some good ol hard working Chicanos
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by hvrod

Major line stops , I see coming..

Are you turning into Yoda?

Quick Reply: GM Workers go out on Strike...