The Lounge Off Topic PG-13.
Warning: The Lounge may contain irrelevant and off topic discussions that may not be related to anything HHR. If you are not interested in these kinds of discussions, do not read or respond to these threads.

GM Workers go out on Strike...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Show me your sources about these "better" cars. Also, you cannot get a job on the line starting out at MORE than $30k a year. Your pay increases with experience and seniority, just like every other job out there. You want to talk health insurance? Okay, try buying a non-group plan for your whole family for less than $400 a month. Try it.
I stopped offering health insurance for my workers. The rates became unbelievable. Over $400.00/MONTH PER PERSON! I did not find any large group rates happening either. Granted one of my employees is over 50, so they slap him with even higher premiums $600.00/mo
I simply cannot afford to give health insurance as it is today since the costs are so high and my margins are thin. I have not taken a paycheck in years, simply moving debt around and trying to stay alive, all the while seeing my gross sales slip lower each year.
Small businesses don't have a long shelf life. I think I've beat most by staying 18 years, but it is getting old out here. Time for a new career, perhaps as an "Overpaid" UAW worker?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 AM

Everyone, together now...REVOLUTION!!!
jeffs396
Old 09-25-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Harpozep
Over $400.00/MONTH PER PERSON!
That is just unreal.

That is one thing I can say about staying in and retiring in the military. I have health coverage. And my family cost is about the same as your single monthly amount. But mine covers us for a year. Dental is higher, but still less that 4 months of that same number.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:06 AM

I've worked both union and non-union jobs...
theres some pros and cons for some..

But, what got me.. (a union job I had quite a few years ago) The Union Hall president and the staff.. Figure it was okay to use the union money to purchase a Ocean Speed Boat for the Union members... I never and many of us never got invited to use that boat.. But, certainly the top Union reps surely got to use it....

Currently in a Non-union job..status
Old 09-25-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Wimmer
This is why the Union supported Democrats are trying to eliminate the secret vote. That way Union thugs can intimidate people into signing cards so they don't have to give workers a choice.
WHAT WHAT WHAT!!! Thugs?????
Hold the phone dude. unions dont go into a place unless called by workers who have jobs there, because they feel they are being unfairly treated. How about the difference between the pay at those plants.... $24 is the highest paid person on the assembly line, going down to $12 an hour with no health care. Do you want your car being built by some guy making below the national poverty level? Unions bring Training, wage equalization, standardized health care that is AFFORDABLE to the employer, pension funds (federally insured) and its not a 401k its a gods honest pension. Most importantly it offers a grievance procedure that allows a normal worker the ability to challenge a boss on over the top discipline. Its security for the employee and for the employer! You can look at a contract and tell EXACTLY whats expected from an employee. I guess you'd have to be a member to understand.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Coyote
YES. My wife got stuck sitting at her desk doing NOTHING all day because of the strike. They are currently picketing out on River Road in front of the plant (no violence, though, and I gotta tell you, when these guys strike it ain't nothing like when Michigan strikes ... the picket line here looks almost civil!).
As it should. Union guys arent rioting thugs that you see in the movies.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by an08HHR
I was reading that the average Mexican auto worker makes $3.50 plus benefits while the average American auto worker makes $27.00 plus benefits. I also read in an older article that GM is building another big plant in Mexico which is to open in 2008. Thank you UAW for driving jobs out of our country. How many more will be lost?
thank you UAW???? How about blame the Mexican worker for accepting 3.50 an hour! How about THANK YOU NAFTA and your elected officials for allowing it to go into effect!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by hhrcrafty
Unions were great when you worked 12 hours a day on an assembly line surrounded by sharp metal objects and machines that could take your head off if used improperly, there was no health or life insurance available for employees, no sick time, no retirement benefits, and absolutely zero job security.

I guess no one needs that stuff anymore, and as evidenced by the foreign car manufacturers, one can sure trust the companies to provide all those benefits without having to have the union around.

I'd challenge anyone here to work on a line for 12 hours a day, sometimes 7 days a week, around machinery that is both precise and deadly if used improperly. The only reason why there is no job security in this country is because no one has the balls to stand up and demand respect anymore. Sniveling little yuppies who drive their Toyotas and Hondas everyday to work hoping that Lumberg won't make them move their office down to storage B and take a pay cut because it's good for the company.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by quest51210
my cousin was an engineer at GM and now an engineer at Toyota. he still has brand loyalty with GM and he is the reason i have my HHR, but the line workers made more than he did and it is wrong that ppl dedicate their lives to getting an education to get slapped in the face by union employees.
Loud applause from this end.

(Only problem is the Toyota stuff ... my wife would think about jumping ship to them if they didn't have a HORRENDOUS record on sexual harassment ...)
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Stovebolt HHR
I think you are a little short on the $27.00+ benefits. The last time I read a article a couple years ago it was more like $92.00 including benefits.
The retirees were getting $5200.00 per month+ free health care. and cost of living raises.
The UAW now controls the pension funds and the health care for the retirees and can do as they want with the billions that are on the books and the federal government has to back it if anything happens to the funds.
I can just see it now the union will use the money to back political candidates
in the millions of dollars telling the members it will be for there own good.
Yeah right. NOT

Alan
that 5200 a month doesnt come from GM's pocket it came from an investment pension fund that is self sustaining which was from employer and employee contributions. The "Union" doesnt control the pension, its controled by Employer and Employee trusties!Wage reduction was taken to put funds in that pension so get your facts straight before you post please!

Quick Reply: GM Workers go out on Strike...